finally go fly and now we freeze (172 air leaks)

Old December 3rd 03, 03:05 PM
Mike Z.

Default finally go fly and now we freeze (172 air leaks)

My 172 M has some pretty big air leaks from behind the plastic pieces at the top of the windshield. It is coming from behind the
trim piece that encircles the vents and drops down the doorpost.

I don't see any point in caulking. It would just move the problem.

It ain't gonna get any warmer for a while so any ideas would be appreciated. (my wife won't move, so Florida is out for now)

Mike Z

Old December 3rd 03, 04:33 PM
Ben Smith

"Mike Z." wrote in message
hlink.net...
My 172 M has some pretty big air leaks from behind the plastic pieces at

the top of the windshield. It is coming from behind the
trim piece that encircles the vents and drops down the doorpost.

I don't do it to mine, but I've seen many Cessnas with a slice of duct tape
over each wing [cabin air] vent during the winter months. Anyone in the
group care to comment on that one? It is dangerous or illegal?

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old December 3rd 03, 04:35 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ben Smith" wrote in message ...
"Mike Z." wrote in message
hlink.net...
My 172 M has some pretty big air leaks from behind the plastic pieces at

the top of the windshield. It is coming from behind the
trim piece that encircles the vents and drops down the doorpost.

I don't do it to mine, but I've seen many Cessnas with a slice of duct tape
over each wing [cabin air] vent during the winter months. Anyone in the
group care to comment on that one? It is dangerous or illegal?

Not dangerous or illegal, but probematic as duct tape residue is a real bitch
to get off (believe me, some clown attached a sign to one of my windows with
duct tape).

The other solution I've seen is to just stuff the vent with foam rubber.

Old December 3rd 03, 06:58 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ron Natalie wrote:

The other solution I've seen is to just stuff the vent with foam rubber.

This is also a great way to keep wasps out in the Summer.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 3rd 03, 07:55 PM
Mike Z.

Now you mention it, I was going to try a bit of that synthetic steel wool to keep the bugs out and let air in next summer.

So from the sounds of it, we are assuming my cold air is from leakage around the vents back in there someplace.

I will try stuffing the inlets tonight. Thanks.

Mike Z

Old December 3rd 03, 08:04 PM
Dale

In article ,
"Ben Smith" wrote:

I don't do it to mine, but I've seen many Cessnas with a slice of duct tape
over each wing [cabin air] vent during the winter months. Anyone in the
group care to comment on that one? It is dangerous or illegal?

If you have the vent with the OAT gauge on it blocking the vent also
blocks the OAT probe.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html

Old December 3rd 03, 11:28 PM
Dale

In article .net,
"Mike Z." wrote:

Now you mention it, I was going to try a bit of that synthetic steel wool to
keep the bugs out and let air in next summer.

So from the sounds of it, we are assuming my cold air is from leakage around
the vents back in there someplace.

I will try stuffing the inlets tonight. Thanks.

You might have air leaking thru the wing/fuselage joing also. Perhaps
some insulation material around the upper corners of the windshield,
at/near the wing leading edge. You'll have to remove the trim pieces to
get to it, or perhaps the fairing over the wingroot.

Old December 4th 03, 03:04 PM
Mike Z.

Dale,

I think you are on the right track. As an experiment, last night I stuffed both air inlets full of foam rubber. No improvement at
all.

I have the nice vents that twistlock and there is only a smidge of air coming in around the actual vent. I am guessing it is coming
in around the wing root someplace so I will have to pull the trim off and take a look.

I finally burned out the landing light last night and while we were in there, I found the heater scat tubing off the muff . Maybe
now it will be like standing by the fire or flying a Tomahawk. Hot foot, frozen shoulder!

Mike Z

"Dale" wrote in message ...
In article .net,

..

Old December 10th 03, 09:17 PM
Mike Z.

An unexpected twist.....

The landing light burned out before I could investigate beyond plugging the air vent intakes.

While I had the cowl off to fix the light, I noticed the Scat tube off the muffler muff. Wow and duh!

Amazingly enough, it appears the clamp had not been fastened after the annual last May so the only heat was warm air sucked from
under the cowl and drawn through the plane by vacuum.

Having been raised a Piper driver, I just figured the old girl had a poor heater.

Now the heat works so good I don't even notice the extra fresh air at 25f OAT. There is still a pretty good amount of air coming in
so I suppose the leaks will move back up the list in another couple weeks

Thanks for the help.

Mike Z