Oudie wiring to SN10

Old April 4th 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Oudie wiring to SN10

Follow-up: yesterday I did my first x/c with the Oudie/SYM + SN10. (An
AST!!!)

SeeYou Mobile is *much* happier with the air data from the SN10. The
combination worked great. I would go so far as to say that SYM's
thermal assistant is next to useless without the air data (which I
would expect), while very effective with.

tuN7o
Old April 4th 11, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 4, 7:25*am, Tuno wrote:
Follow-up: yesterday I did my first x/c with the Oudie/SYM + SN10. (An
AST!!!)

SeeYou Mobile is *much* happier with the air data from the SN10. The
combination worked great. I would go so far as to say that SYM's
thermal assistant is next to useless without the air data (which I
would expect), while very effective with.

tuN7o

But is it the airdata that made it better or the external GPS position
source?

The HP310 internal GPS makes the LK8000 thermal assistant useless but
it may well work better with an external GPS. It seems to work quite
quite well in replay mode using 2 second flight logs from the 302.
Also with internal GPS the 310/LK8000 circling wind estimates are
sometimes hazardously misleading.

I don't know anything about the charactersitics of the Oudie internal
GPS but I doubt it was optimized for aviation. Was it?

Andy
Old April 4th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Good question wrt the GPS quality. How is a receiver optimized for
aviation?

But I do think the air data makes a huge difference in wind and glide
calculations. Without it, SYM and the SN10 provided varying answers on
the steering to target; with the airdata, they always matched.
Old April 4th 11, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 4, 10:21*am, Tuno wrote:
Good question wrt the GPS quality. How is a receiver optimized for
aviation?

But I do think the air data makes a huge difference in wind and glide
calculations. Without it, SYM and the SN10 provided varying answers on
the steering to target; with the airdata, they always matched.

I'd be convinced if you disabled the SN10 GPS feed and saw the same
results. Or are you saying the SN-10 is feeding only airdata to the
Oudie and not GPS position data.

PNA GPS receivers are typically optimized for car navigation. One
result is that they like to say they are going straight even if the
host vehicle is turning. Ok it's not the GPS receiver itself but the
associated data processing and in some devices, such as the HP310, no
one has yet found a way to hack it so it works properly.

Andy
Old April 4th 11, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Apr 4, 10:37*am, Andy wrote:
On Apr 4, 10:21*am, Tuno wrote:

Good question wrt the GPS quality. How is a receiver optimized for
aviation?

But I do think the air data makes a huge difference in wind and glide
calculations. Without it, SYM and the SN10 provided varying answers on
the steering to target; with the airdata, they always matched.

I'd be convinced if you disabled the SN10 GPS feed and saw the same
results. Or are you saying the SN-10 is feeding only airdata to the
Oudie and not GPS position data.

PNA GPS receivers are typically optimized for car navigation. *One
result is that they like to say they are going straight even if the
host vehicle is turning. *Ok it's not the GPS receiver itself but the
associated data processing and in some devices, such as the HP310, no
one has yet found a way to hack it so it works properly.

Andy

Andy,
do I read you correctly that you are assuming that the Oudie suffers
from the same issue as the HP310? It seem possible that the Oudie was
hacked in such a way as to prevent that, or didn't have the problem in
the first place. It would be interesting to know about that.

I've got two flights on a MiniMap and the wind information is a lot
more believable that what the HP310 was giving me.

Brian
Old April 4th 11, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

On 4/4/2011 10:56 AM, brianDG303 wrote:

I've got two flights on a MiniMap and the wind information is a lot
more believable that what the HP310 was giving me.

Brian

How do you like the MiniMap?
Old April 4th 11, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Apr 4, 10:59*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 4/4/2011 10:56 AM, brianDG303 wrote:

I've got two flights on a MiniMap and the wind information is a lot
more believable that what the HP310 was giving me.

Brian

How do you like the MiniMap?

I like it. By itself it's brighter, the wind information is accurate
(I think). The real benefit is adding the Vario and Stick controller
so that the information you want is usually displayed on the Vario and
both that display and the computer display and choices are controlled
from the stick buttons. I almost never take my hand off the stick.
Old April 4th 11, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Apr 4, 10:37*am, Andy wrote:
On Apr 4, 10:21*am, Tuno wrote:

[...]

I've been told, and I hope it's correct, that sending a GPS signal to
the 310 will give better results. I will be using a Powerflarm to send
the 310 data and by-pass the internal GPS. It is a simple setting in
the LK8000 software for a com port and baud rate setting.

Brad
Old April 4th 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 4, 10:56*am, brianDG303 wrote:
do I read you correctly that you are assuming that the Oudie suffers
from the same issue as the HP310? *It seem possible that the Oudie was hacked in such a way as to prevent that, or didn't have the problem in the first place. *It would be interesting to know about that.

I wrote "I don't know anything about the charactersitics of the Oudie
internal GPS but I doubt it was optimized for aviation. Was it?"

If I was thinking of buying an Oudie I'd want to know the answer.
Since I'm not, my only interest is in understanding what caused the
performance improvement reported by Ted.

I'm planniing to interface my HP310 to PowerFLARM. That should give
me much improved circling wind data. The cost of multiplexing in my
302 airdata is probably not worthwhile if the 310 is not my primary
glide computer.

Andy

Old April 4th 11, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 4, 12:30*pm, Brad wrote:
On Apr 4, 10:37*am, Andy wrote:

On Apr 4, 10:21*am, Tuno wrote:

[...]

Brad- Hide quoted text -

You may also need to do a level shift. That can be done with a simple
resistive divider.

Andy

Oudie Pilot Reports? AY Soaring 6 December 12th 10 11:51 PM
Oudie - ConnectMe question [email protected] Soaring 9 August 9th 10 04:18 PM
Oudie with a LX 5000 Randy[_2_] Soaring 2 May 24th 10 10:48 AM
New Oudie Photos Paul Remde Soaring 3 April 30th 10 04:17 PM