Troubles with a Compaq 1550

Old August 29th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dick[_3_]

Default Troubles with a Compaq 1550

I have a backup 1550 that has just been sitting in it's cradle for at
least a couple of years. Recently the charge light went out and the
unit would not turn on. I switched the main battery with my other
1550 and the unit still would not turn on, nor would the charge light
come on??? Anyone have a suggestion? Dick

Old August 30th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Dick wrote:
Recently the charge light went out and the
unit would not turn on.

hijack alert.

I have about 5 or 6 1520's on the shelf and they all seem to excessively
drain the lithium-coin-backup battery.

They'll sit on the shelf or charger for a coupla weeks, then when I start 'em
up, I get the low backup warning.

I realize I'm not helping out with your original inquiry...cuz I have nothing
more to offer than the hard reset suggestion.
Just wondering if anyone checking in here has seen similar probs to mine.

Old August 30th 07, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"David Walsh" wrote in message
So, maybe I
should look for, and pay for, a battery not made in china.

-DW

Good luck. EVERYTHING is now made in China. Oh, except a few things I've
seen labeled as having been made in PRC (where ever that is). In fact, I
suspect German gliders are all made in China, then secretly smuggled into
Germany for further shipment.

bumper

Old August 31st 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

"Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote in message
Dick wrote:
Recently the charge light went out and the
unit would not turn on.

hijack alert.

I have about 5 or 6 1520's on the shelf and they all seem to excessively
drain the lithium-coin-backup battery.

They'll sit on the shelf or charger for a coupla weeks, then when I start
'em
up, I get the low backup warning.

I realize I'm not helping out with your original inquiry...cuz I have
nothing
more to offer than the hard reset suggestion.
Just wondering if anyone checking in here has seen similar probs to mine.

I have had that , too. When I go to settings/system/power, it reads the
backup battery as "good". If I take the coin cell out and measure it, it is
good.

Beats me!

Hartley Falbaum

Old August 31st 07, 02:57 PM
TowPilot185 TowPilot185 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Wichita, Kansas

There was a document on the HP web site that addressed this situation. From memory, the solution was to remove the batter, Press the reset button 3 times, then replace the batter. That would usually wake the old iPaqs back up again.
Old August 31st 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Is the backup battery dieing in several months when you have the 1550 on the
charger - or when it is not kept on the charger?

I believe that the backup batteries last a year or so for me because I keep
the 1550 on the charger at all times.

The backup battery was designed (I believe) to take-over when the main
battery gets low. That should be a rare occurrence in the use foreseen by
the designers. The main battery will get low after only 5 days or so if the
1550 is not kept on a charger.

I think the solution to the problem is to keep the 1550 on the charger at
all times. Then the backup battery won't die for several years.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"David Walsh" wrote in message
The original backup battery in my 1550 lasted 4 or 5 years before it went
bad. The replacement batteries I getting from Walmart seem to only last
3 or 4 months. When I take them back, they test bad, so I buy a new one.
Got to wonder if those clever walmart marketing folks have found a way to
make a profit despite a slim margin. So, maybe I should look for, and pay

Old August 31st 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

The backup battery was designed (I believe) to take-over when the main
battery gets low. That should be a rare occurrence in the use foreseen by
the designers.

Ahhhhh. Eureka!

and ....duuhhh. I have been waiting for shipment of several replacement main
batteries. In the meantime I had been storing the backup batteries in their
respective sockets ( in the PDAs ).

( O_o) *boing*

Old August 31st 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I recall a situation where the unit would power-up and show a big "Q" on the
screen but never get past it. I found a tip that a removing both batteries
and waiting about 10 minutes would cause a hard reset and it worked for me.

"TowPilot185" wrote in message

There was a document on the HP web site that addressed this situation.
From memory, the solution was to remove the batter, Press the reset

--
TowPilot185