Transponder antenna installations

Old February 6th 11, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dick[_3_]

Default Transponder antenna installations

I am installing a new vane style antenna for my transponder. My
original antenna was located where the cg hook used to be on my
discus. This location often tangled with the trailer ramp when
panel cover. All of the self proclaimed experts said that was a
terrible place. Much to much power too close to the rest of my
avionics and electronics. I now intend to place it on the underside
of the fuselage as far aft of the main gear housing as I can reach.
My question is, does it have to be mounted near the centerline, I'd
rather not tangle with the overlap of the two fuselage halves. How
far off the center line can I go before the biannual inspector will
object or I will lose effectiveness? IT
Old February 6th 11, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alpha Eight

Dick,

Have a look at the glider manufactures website or contact the dealer
as many have very specific directions for transponder antenna
location. On the Ventus 2b there is an engineering drawing showing the
location which puts the antenna is substantially off centerline on the
right side. This works well as it clears the trailer easily and is
generally out of the way.

John Seaborn (A8)
Old February 6th 11, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 5, 10:26*pm, Dick wrote:
I am installing a new vane style antenna for my transponder. *My
original antenna was located where the cg hook used to be on my
discus. *This location often tangled with the trailer ramp when
panel cover. *All of the self proclaimed experts said that was a
terrible place. *Much to much power too close to the rest of my
avionics and electronics. *I now intend to place it on the underside
of the fuselage as far aft of the main gear housing as I can reach.
My question is, does it have to be mounted near the centerline, *I'd
rather not tangle with the overlap of the two fuselage halves. *How
far off the center line can I go before the biannual inspector will
object or I will lose effectiveness? *IT

We've use the Advanced Aircraft Electronics L2 antenna on several
installations, with excellent results. This antenna mounts
internally in the fuselage tail boom. (won't work with carbon fiber
in the fuselage though...)

On gliders with carbon fiber, we used typical stub antenna, mounted
per manufacturer's drawings....we fabricated a "ground plane" plate to
go inside the fuselage......you need some space for this.

The antenna can be quite far off center line...but I would worry about
not going too far off vertical orientation.

Cookie
Old February 6th 11, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

We've use the Advanced Aircraft Electronics L2 antenna on several
installations, with excellent results. * This antenna mounts
internally in the fuselage tail boom. *(won't work with carbon fiber
in the fuselage though...)

I second the L-2, di-pole antenna suggestion, all inside with nothing
sticking out to get ripped off. Carve a1"X 1"X4" balsawood block so
that it matches the inside curve of your non-carbon fuselage, then
glue the antenna vertical to the flat side and the curved side to the
inside aft fuselage. Keep it about 6" away from metal objects like
your elevator push-rod, etc. Secure the RG-58 lead so that it can't
get tangled with controls and you're good to go.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old February 6th 11, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringpilot[_3_]

First of all: what kind of a glider are you installing the antenna in?
If it is carbon with enough conductivity in the fuselage then you have
to go outside, but if not, you can install the antena inside.

Installing antenna on top of the panel cover was probably a bad place,
but primarily because with proper ground plane primary emission would
be up, rather than down towards radar station.

Cheers,
Henryk

Old February 6th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

JJ, please don't use RG-58 for a transponder cable - it has very high
attenuation per foot. Times Microwave LM240 is a much better choice,
with only 1/3 of the attenuation of RG-58 at 1 GHz. I usually use
Times Microwave LM300, with only 1/4 the attenuation of RG-58, but it
has double the diameter. Both of these cables have a greater than 20
year life outdoors.

-john

Old February 6th 11, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Correcting myself - the 1/4 and 1/3 figures were a straight comparison
of the dB loss per 100 feet, which is wrong. The correct figures are
that LM240 has 20% of the attenuation of RG-58 at 1 GHZ, while LM300
has 13% of RG-58.

-John

Old February 6th 11, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott[_3_]

I installed an L-2 antenna with my transponder. While my wings and tailboom
are carbon fiber, the nose of my glider is fiberglass. I installed the L-2
vertically on the bulkhead that closes off the nose ahead of my feet. I've
not noticed any effect on my other instruments in the panel or on my GPS
(CA302). I have noticed that my feet still get cold at altitude, so I don't
think the power output is a problem. The vertical orientation means my
glider is at the center of a very fat horizontal donut.

John Scott

Old February 6th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Feb 6, 9:57*am, jcarlyle wrote:
[...]

JJ- Hide quoted text -

The instructions from Advanced Aircraft Electronics call for RG-58A/U
unless wire bundle size is critical where the smaller RG-174/U may be
used if length is held to 20 feet or less.
JJ
Old February 6th 11, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

I understand your point - I saw those suggestions on my L2
instructions, laughed, and pitched it. Why should you pay for
transponder output just to heat up the antenna cable with outdated
RG-58, when low loss LM240 is only $0.70 more per foot? And if RG-58
is bad, RG-174 is 4 times worse...

-John

On Feb 6, 1:27 pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
The instructions from Advanced Aircraft Electronics call for RG-58A/U
unless wire bundle size is critical where the smaller RG-174/U may be
used if length is held to 20 feet or less.
JJ

Transponder Antenna Rick Fuller Soaring 6 January 30th 08 06:03 PM
Transponder Antenna Location [email protected] Soaring 15 January 17th 08 06:56 PM
VHF & Transponder antenna Steve Home Built 1 December 6th 04 04:29 PM
Oil on transponder antenna Bob Owning 12 May 9th 04 08:59 PM
Transponder and antenna Paolo Soaring 1 March 6th 04 03:32 AM