Google sectionals

Old May 28th 07, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Google sectionals

Someone tried these?

http://chartgeek.com/

Frank Whiteley

Old May 28th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed Winchester

Frank Whiteley wrote:
Someone tried these?

http://chartgeek.com/

Frank Whiteley

Frank,

I looked at that deal, but I'm not sure about the $89 that it costs.
You can get sectionals free (forever, I think) by purchasing GlidePlan,
which I've done a while back. I love this program. I'm a novice XC
pilot, so you can put my statements through this filter. I go flying
every day with new current charts of my planned area, and know at a
glance my safe glide range for a given altitude for every airport I have
any remote interest in. Matt Herron has provided instant customer
service anytime I've had a question. Now, these charts are not usable
with Google Earth, but they are legal reproductions of the FAA charts.
I'm not sure that ChartGeek's charts are legal.

Just my 2 cents.

Ed
Old May 28th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On May 28, 12:35 pm, Ed Winchester wrote:
Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

I'm sure they're not legal. I just wondered if anyone had taken the
99 cents deal on their local chart;^)

GlidePlan seems like a great product.

Frank

Old May 31st 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Google earth is a great tool. Sectionals (not current) are free and
easy,

http://www.gelib.fox-fam.com/aeronautical-charts-us.htm

and you can make circles on them as well:

http://dev.bt23.org/keyhole/circlegen/

none of this replaces seeyou or glideplan, just another tool.

Old June 5th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Little

Google earth is a great tool... but I prefer another method to
visualize airspace boundries. You can download 3-D representations of
restricted airspace from:
http://www.lloydbailey.net/airspace.html
The website is slightly funky... click on the red "plus" sign next to
"DAFIF 3-D Airspace", then pick your country and state. Yep,
restricted airspace for the entire world is available for the next
time you are flying in Afghanistan.

I find this to be a VERY helpful way to orient yourself to airspace
size, shape and boundries. The airspace cylinders are superimposed
over the satellite images from Google, so you can see relevant
landmarks as they appear from the air. I prefer reading the sectional
on paper. Seeing the "upside down wedding cake" of the class C
airspace is helpful. You can even position your Google Earth "camera"
so you can fly UNDER the floor of the outer cylinder and get a great
feeling for where the airspace extends to. If you really wanted to...
you could show both the 3D outlines of the airspace along with the
sectionals too.

You may want to selectively turn OFF some of the airspace designations
(like class E) using the checkboxes under the "places" tab on the
lefthand side of Google Earth. This will declutter the image so you
can see what you are interested in.

I've got a pic online showing my tracing on a recent flight when I
briefly flew over the Class D of our neighboring airport. (Yep, I was
in contact with them via radio)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55092851@N00/502828393/

Enjoy!
Jim
(Remove nospam from my email if you want to reach me)

Old June 11th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On May 28, 12:49 pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
I'm sure they're not legal. I just wondered if anyone had taken the
99 cents deal on their local chart;^)

GlidePlan seems like a great product.

Why do you think they are not legal? The GlidePlan charts are exact
images of *current* sectionals, and are released as soon as they are
available from the FAA.

I create a map booklet containing all the pages I expect to be flying
over so that I have what constitutes current information for
navigating and communicating.

-Tom

Old June 12th 07, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 11, 11:34 am, 5Z wrote:
On May 28, 12:49 pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

I'm sure they're not legal. I just wondered if anyone had taken the
99 cents deal on their local chart;^)

GlidePlan seems like a great product.

Why do you think they are not legal? The GlidePlan charts are exact
images of *current* sectionals, and are released as soon as they are
available from the FAA.

I create a map booklet containing all the pages I expect to be flying
over so that I have what constitutes current information for
navigating and communicating.

-Tom

I didn't say glideplan charts weren't legal, they are. The
'chartgeek.com' products use digitally manipulated the charts. In
their FAQ they seem to sidestep the question of legality, neither
offering or suggesting the topic.

Frank

Old June 12th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dick[_3_]

On May 28, 1:35?pm, Ed Winchester wrote:
Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

Not exactly being on the leading edge in the world of computer geeks,
I have not followed this thread. Is it now possible to download and
print on a 8 1/2" by 11" sheet a composite of parts of the three
sectionals that are included in our flight envelope?

Old June 12th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Jun 12, 8:59 am, Dick wrote:
Not exactly being on the leading edge in the world of computer geeks,
I have not followed this thread. Is it now possible to download and
print on a 8 1/2" by 11" sheet a composite of parts of the three
sectionals that are included in our flight envelope?

As a GlidePlan subscriber, you can request a custom chart that is the
result of merging two or more parts of a sectional chart. These are
also kept up to date with new sectional chart releases.

You can then select and print specific areas as needed.

-Tom

Old June 21st 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 12, 2:37 am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Jun 11, 11:34 am, 5Z wrote:

On May 28, 12:49 pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

I'm sure they're not legal. I just wondered if anyone had taken the
99 cents deal on their local chart;^)

GlidePlan seems like a great product.

Why do you think they are not legal? The GlidePlan charts are exact
images of *current* sectionals, and are released as soon as they are
available from the FAA.

I create a map booklet containing all the pages I expect to be flying
over so that I have what constitutes current information for
navigating and communicating.

-Tom

I didn't say glideplan charts weren't legal, they are. The
'chartgeek.com' products use digitally manipulated the charts. In
their FAQ they seem to sidestep the question of legality, neither
offering or suggesting the topic.

Frank- Hide quoted text -

I'm ChartGEEK's Richard Neal and would be glad to answer these
questions.

Yes the charts are completely legal to use, pre-flight, print to take
along etc. They are the latest FAA/NACO releases with the chart's
effective date is clearly shown on the legend as part of the image.
Our legal communications with the FAA/NACO informed us that to remain
within their correct use guidelines we absolutely must not change any
data contained within the charts. We don't. We only project them to
the geo-tagged coordinates that the FAA/NACO provided along with the
charts so that they will work in Google Earth. There is a digital
(non-image) tagging that makes the charts uniquely identified as ones
we have processed, but the data & images are exactly as received from
the FAA/NACO and that is what is mentioned in our FAQ.

Anyway, we are seeing several flight schools buying the complete USA
chart set since they are only $87.12 (yep, 99 cents each) and also
getting their students complete sets at the student rate of $29 which
figures out to about 3 cents a chart! Try getting a current chart
from anywhere else at that price! Anyway, since the charts are
purchased in digital format from the FAA/NACO for $1.50 each and are
sold at a loss of 99 cents each we hope you will see that we are
committed to providing absolutely the best possible view of pilot's
flights. (of course, if you have access to a military 'live'
satellite feed, those images are indeed better)

If anyone reading this post would like a free chart, just buy one of
our 99 cent charts and mention this post and we'll give you another
chart for free. Our goal is simple. Pilots simply should not take-
off without having all the best available knowledge possible and that
by "pre-seeing" their next flight it may save their life. (There's an
average of 1 death / day in General Aviation!)

I'll get down off my soapbox now. If anyone has questions, please
post or send me a note at

Thanks! Richard
www.ChartGEEK.com

Customizing Sectionals Mike Schumann Soaring 14 October 9th 06 11:54 PM
Overlaying Sectionals in Google Earth 01-- Zero One Soaring 0 September 10th 06 04:33 AM
Sectionals Simulators 1 July 21st 06 12:45 AM
Better not chuck those sectionals quite yet Stewart Kissel Soaring 3 December 16th 04 06:54 PM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: new sectionals Kyler Laird General Aviation 1 January 25th 04 06:50 AM