Best replacement for old Cessna navcom?

Old November 14th 03, 11:29 PM
SeeAndAvoid

I recently went through a similar situation, mulling over all the same
things. I thought my MX300's were failing, I knew my audio panel was
garbage, and I thought the wiring back there was questionable. Ran the
gamut from Garmin530 to 300XL (on ebay - recond) all the way down to new
KX155's or MX300's. I have a decent DME but no ADF, which I wouldnt mind
having but not willing to drop over $1k for it.

I gambled that my radios were ok and had all my wiring ripped out and redone
(it was really bad, previous owners mechanic did some splices that were,
well, borderline unsafe) and got a new audio panel (PS Engineering PMA700B -
awesome unit). I really didn't have the need for IFR GPS just yet, and am
willing to wait for WAAS - got it in a cheap handheld for $150, cant be far
behind for aviation. The marker beacon works great in the audio panel, the
GS doesnt work on one particular frequency, unfortunately that freq is used
at an airport nearby.

So, now sorting out the known from the unknown, and having the avionics shop
rewire in a way that prepares me for easier future upgrades, I can better
assess which way to go in the future. Ideas: GNS530 or MFD, ModeS
Transponder with TIS (GTX330) and maybe a KX155 or similar (some newer
technology) for second NAV/COM. My problem right now is panel space, 2
MX300's take up alot of space, and I also have a Ross Loran which is as big,
and it works great, when I turn it on. Panel rework is in the cards similar
to newer Cessna panels, maybe 2 rows for avionics if needed.
Later, Chris

"Colin Kingsbury" wrote in message
news
Because a topic like this never gets too old

1979 172 with original Cessna (RT-385 IIRC?) radios, the NAV frq display

on
the #1 box failed and the partners now finally agree it's not worth
repairing.

I'm contemplating two options:

1. Replace with a slide-in replacement like the TKM series, which will get
me a new box and standby freqs (woo-hoo!) Anybody here have those, or
suggest others? Advantage here is v. low cost to install versus something
like a KX-155 upgrade which would require rewiring, etc.

2. Replace with an IFR GPS/Com. This addresses ADF/DME, but costs us one
VOR. I don't think people will go for buying a second nav/com as well so

it
needs to be a one-box upgrade.

Current stack has 2x Nav/Com, 1x ADF, 1x Mode C, Audio panel w/ marker
beacon, and an M1 Loran, all original equipment. The audio panel's getting
fussy and the ADF won't lock on to the lower-powered beacons until you're

on
top of them. If it was up to me I'd yank it all but I've got 4 other guys
who fly less and almost never fly IFR so they're less picky.

Best,
-cwk.

Old November 15th 03, 03:43 AM
Snowbird

"SeeAndAvoid" wrote in message ink.net...
I gambled that my radios were ok and had all my wiring ripped out and redone
(it was really bad, previous owners mechanic did some splices that were,
well, borderline unsafe) and got a new audio panel (PS Engineering PMA700B -
awesome unit).

Cool nerves on the gamble

I really didn't have the need for IFR GPS just yet, and am
willing to wait for WAAS - got it in a cheap handheld for $150

What handheld for $150 has WAAS?

Hope you can get the GS repaired.

And last but not least:

What do you mean, coming in this time of night?
Welcome back Chris, good to hear you.

Sydney
Old November 19th 03, 04:10 AM
SeeAndAvoid

"Snowbird" wrote
What handheld for $150 has WAAS?

Guess I need to clarify, non-aviation GPS, a Garmin Etrex Legend.

Hope you can get the GS repaired.

Eh, at least I know what one freq doesnt work, gotta recover from this
expense before the wife lets me crack open the account again like that.
I'll just wait for it built-in to something nicer.

What do you mean, coming in this time of night?

Hehe, like my stomach, I have no clock.

Welcome back Chris, good to hear you.

Thanks, right back at ya.
On a separate but slightly related note (upgrades) just ordered a
Trafficscope VRX, you think I trust ATC? Long Thanksgiving flight coming up
(yes, to Grandmas) with PIREP on it to follow. I was chatting with a guy on
freq the other day about TCAS, TCADs, TIS, and TPAS, he figured with ATC
keeping an eye out, why spend the money. When I told him it was my next
purchase he worriedly said "you want one and you ARE an ATCS?" Oh ya.
Guess I didn't instill much confidence there.
Chris

Old November 19th 03, 08:42 AM
Martin Kosina

I'm contemplating two options:

1. Replace with a slide-in replacement like the TKM series, which will get
me a new box and standby freqs (woo-hoo!) Anybody here have those, or
suggest others? Advantage here is v. low cost to install versus something
like a KX-155 upgrade which would require rewiring, etc.

Colin, if you are still watching this: there are couple MX-385's on
ebay right now, might be worth checking out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2443732 478

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2443864 172