Useless radio transmissions

Old August 28th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

Default Useless radio transmissions

And if more than one are in use, how does anyone know which one is
pertinent?

Who declares the "active" at an uncontrolled field?

Good question. Just today I was about to take runway 19 at an
uncontrolled field when
another aircraft announced he was turning final for 1. The wind, such
as it was, was a slight breeze from the South - the windsock was limp.
So it was up to the pilot's diecretion as to which to use. I held short
while the other aircraft landed (and declared "clear of the active")
before taking the runway. No sooner had I done so than along comes
somebody else on an IFR approach for 1.

This brings up an interesting question: Who has the right of way? Me,
because I am already on the runway, ready to take off - or the traffic
on approach, because it was "landing" (though had not so stated - only
an "IFR Approach" called out). As it
turned out, I held at the departure end, and the traffic declared a
missed approach (perhaps having intended to do so all along?), and
passed overhead.

Bottom line: Its a crapshoot. Anybody remember the old Tetrahedrons
that were used to indicate the active runway in the old days? I assume
that they went away because they
1. required someone to decide which way to point them, then 2. go out
and turn the Tetrahedron. That, of course, requires an employee on duty
- an endangered species in this penny-pinching age.

Old August 28th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Dave wrote:

This brings up an interesting question: Who has the right of way? Me,
because I am already on the runway, ready to take off - or the traffic
on approach, because it was "landing" (though had not so stated - only
an "IFR Approach" called out). As it
turned out, I held at the departure end, and the traffic declared a
missed approach (perhaps having intended to do so all along?), and
passed overhead.

How close was he? If he's a few miles out you have no conflict,
takeoff and turn.

Old August 28th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ross Richardson wrote:
[-- text/plain, encoding 7bit, charset: us-ascii, 42 lines --]

Ross, Please send me your email address and I will share it
with you. I am sure I can improve it after your review.

Jer/

wrote:

On CTAF:
Announcing that you're "Clear of the active". You might think anyone
who is waiting to take off can *see* when you're clear. The only
exception I can think of is a (severely) crowned runway where the
other end can't be seen from the departure end.

Why would anyone say "clear of the active"?
Is it a secret which runway you used?
Do you want to withhold information from arriving pilots?

Say clearly and boldy:
"Podunk Traffic, Skylane 6 Delta Mike is clear of two eight, Podunk".

"Area traffic, please advise" just slays me!
Do you think a pilot needs to be requested to talk?
How is "area traffic" different from "traffic"?????#$%

Just give YOUR information. If another pilot thinks there may
be a conflict, that other pilot will give THEIR information.
I have a power-point presentation that I give at FAA Wings
seminars in an attempt to clear this "lazy mouth and lazy
brain" crap off the air.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"

Would you care to share the presentation. I would like to review it.
Many of the comments I have seen I do not like either and I have heard them.

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jeratfrii.com
Old August 28th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:20:16 -0500, Jim Burns wrote:

but has a lot of corporate jet traffic

This is not limited to jet drivers.

- Andrew

Old August 28th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross Richardson[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

rprichardson at verizondotnet

I almost forgot that I asked. I was scannning the list and just had a
feeling I needed to look at this entry.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Old August 30th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

How close was he? If he's a few miles out you have no conflict,
takeoff and turn.

Just came into sight - perhaps a mile off the far end of the runway.
Too close for comfort.
Couldn't go back behind the hold short line - no room (another airplane
had taken my place).
Fortunately, the runway was long and wide.

MX385 Radio removal Marty from Florida Owning 3 May 24th 13 08:26 AM
I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
1944 Aerial War Comes to Life in Radio Play Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 March 25th 04 10:57 PM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM