Feeling the Need For Speed

Old June 14th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default Feeling the Need For Speed

John Smith wrote:
In article ,
Newps wrote:

Like I said, a few people like the door on the top. I wish I had a
larger door but never do I think I need a door on the top.

Some Bo's have a GIGANTIC door on the side.
They have a flush mount D-handle that you rotate out 90-degrees and
twist. Anyone know which model Bo I am thinking of?

That was an option, not sure what year they started offering that. It's
the door that's standard on the Barons. I could have that installed but
it's pretty expensive.
Old June 14th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Frank Stutzman wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:

Any other Bonanza owners here? Do you really get 11.5 gph at 159 kts?

No, I don't.

I get 135 knots at about 9 gph. However, if I remember correctly my
Bonanza has something like 60 less HP and is 30 years older than Scotts.

The earliest Bo's got 175 MPH out of 185 HP. I have 285 HP.
Old June 15th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
M[_1_]

I am also planning on upgrading to a Bo in a year or two from my
Grumman AA5, for speed and longer range.

However I at this point won't ever consider buying a plane that can't
burn mogas (regular or premium). Therefore my best options seem to
be IO-470K powered E33 Bonanza.

On Jun 12, 7:27 pm, Newps wrote:

I wouldn't even consider aircraft like Arrows, 172RG's, Commanders.
They're too slow for the additional cash it costs to insure. Jay's
right, this is about the best time ever to buy. The longer you wait the
better it'll get for you. I have a 64 S35 and I lowered my hull value
for my insurance that comes due in August. The hardest part for you
will be getting an owner to sell his plane for what it's actually worth,
not what he thinks it's worth.

Old June 15th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Mike,
As an alterantive, have you considered any of the
experimentals? Depending on your needs, that may be worth looking in
to. I have 1520 hours in my Tango 2 and love it. In round numbers, I
get better than 200 mph at 8 gph, or 25 mpg. I can load two 200 pound
plus adults, forty gallons of gas, 100 pounds of baggage, takeoff
comfortably on a 2,000 foot grass strip, climb to 12,500, and land 750
nm later with a vfr reserve. Last summer I flew a 1,744 nm cross
country from north Florida to California against some headwind and
around some weather in 11.3 flying hours while burning 83.6 gallons of
gas. I made two fuel stops. I have flown a few times in solid ifr,
single seat without an autopilot, but a wing leveler would be nice
sometimes. Passing Bonanzas is fun, too.
I am biased because I am part owner of the company, but I doubt
if you can find many other cross country airplanes that can beat our
performance numbers in our price range.

Denny Funnemark
www.teamtango.com

I have been looking at Mooney (M20J).

Any pros, cons, alternate suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old June 15th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

Newps wrote:
Frank Stutzman wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:

Any other Bonanza owners here? Do you really get 11.5 gph at 159 kts?

No, I don't.

I get 135 knots at about 9 gph. However, if I remember correctly my
Bonanza has something like 60 less HP and is 30 years older than Scotts.

The earliest Bo's got 175 MPH out of 185 HP. I have 285 HP.

The Girl is an '49 A35, s/n D-1514. While I upgraded her to an E-225
(225 HP), I think she still qualfies as one of the earliest. While she
will fairly easily do 154 knots (175 mph), the fuel consumption goes up
pretty significantly to get the those extra 19 knots. How much? Don't
remember, I don't fly there very often. It costs more than its worth
and I don't like flying a nearly 60 year old plane 15 mph inside the
yellow arc.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old June 15th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Frank Stutzman wrote:
Newps wrote:
Frank Stutzman wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:

Any other Bonanza owners here? Do you really get 11.5 gph at 159 kts?
No, I don't.

I get 135 knots at about 9 gph. However, if I remember correctly my
Bonanza has something like 60 less HP and is 30 years older than Scotts.

The earliest Bo's got 175 MPH out of 185 HP. I have 285 HP.

The Girl is an '49 A35, s/n D-1514. While I upgraded her to an E-225
(225 HP), I think she still qualfies as one of the earliest. While she
will fairly easily do 154 knots (175 mph), the fuel consumption goes up
pretty significantly to get the those extra 19 knots. How much? Don't
remember, I don't fly there very often. It costs more than its worth
and I don't like flying a nearly 60 year old plane 15 mph inside the
yellow arc.

Really, your yellow arc is that low? Mine is 190 MPH and in the winter
at 4500 MSL that's right where the airspeed settles at 75%.

Old June 15th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

There's a lot of fast planes that can be built. No way, no how am I a
builder however, so I would never consider doing that.

Old June 15th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mbremer216

I agree. There are a lot of speedy experimentals out there, buy there is no
way my other half will go along.

I can build a pretty good bookcase, but I wouldn't want to ride in it at 200
mph!

Mike
. ..

Old June 15th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

"mbremer216" wrote in message . ..
I agree. There are a lot of speedy experimentals out there, buy there is no
way my other half will go along.

I can build a pretty good bookcase, but I wouldn't want to ride in it at 200
mph!

Mike
"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
There's a lot of fast planes that can be built. No way, no how am I a
builder however, so I would never consider doing that.

So buy one from someone...
Old June 15th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

Newps wrote:

Really, your yellow arc is that low? Mine is 190 MPH and in the winter
at 4500 MSL that's right where the airspeed settles at 75%.

Yes. The green arc on the 35, A35, B35, C35 and D35 models ends at 160 mph.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"