Another Cirrus Down

Old December 13th 05, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Another Cirrus Down

Old December 13th 05, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Is there a way to get a weather report from that location/time?

After looking at the pic my thought was that there are too many
senseless crashes resulting in death. I suspect that in many it is
pilot error and I have no idea how you instill in pilots common sense
or a way to suppress "get home-itis."

I also wonder if the Cirrus parachute system gives some pilots a false
sense of security.

So for the student pilots reading this...don't do stupid things.

Ron Lee
Old December 13th 05, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On 12/13/2005 08:26, Ron Lee wrote:

Is there a way to get a weather report from that location/time?

After looking at the pic my thought was that there are too many
senseless crashes resulting in death. I suspect that in many it is
pilot error and I have no idea how you instill in pilots common sense
or a way to suppress "get home-itis."

I also wonder if the Cirrus parachute system gives some pilots a false
sense of security.

So for the student pilots reading this...don't do stupid things.

.... that would be all pilots ;-)

and it's good advice.

Ron Lee

Sacramento, CA
Old December 13th 05, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

So for the student pilots reading this...don't do stupid things.

... that would be all pilots ;-)

An unsafe pilot is one who no longer considers him/herself to be a student.

Old December 13th 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

"JohnH" wrote
An unsafe pilot is one who no longer considers him/herself to be a
student.

Well, I sure as hell don't consider myself to still be a student.
Not after 20,000+ flight hours.

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727 L-188
Flight Instructor Airplane/Instrument Airplane
USN S-2F P-2V P-3B
PanAm (retired)
Old December 14th 05, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Aw, c'mon. There must be SOMEthing out there you don't know. 8)
And that would make you a student!

Or was what my Air Force Pilot Dad said about Navy pilots correct?
(real big grin)

(He was a pilot back in the 40s through 60s. He had many stories, some
of which I learned from in later years after I got my own license. A
couple of his best, scariest, funniest stories did happen to involve
navy pilots.
Later I went into the navy myself {forced in by the draft} While I
absolutely hated the navy, I did have to admit one thing with no
reluctance. Every time my Dad took off, he came home to the same or
similar airport. When the navy carrier pilots came home, the ship had
moved, was pointed some other direction, was changing in altitude
during the landing, and grade wasn't stable either. And to top it off,
the strip was really, really short. ANY pilot has to respect THOSE
guys.)

Old December 14th 05, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

"Bob Moore" wrote

Well, I sure as hell don't consider myself to still be a student.
Not after 20,000+ flight hours.

I propose that "being a student" is a state of mind. You certainly have
more time in walkarounds and flight planning than most of us will ever log
in the air. If you are happy with what you know, and what kind of planes
you can fly at this point in your life, then maybe it is safe to say that
you are not a student.

If on the other hand, you want to fly something different (like a
floatplane, or power assisted glider, or.... then you could once again
adjust your state of mind, to being a student.

Then along comes a new piece of avionics, and you have to study the manual
and learn how it works. Once again, you could safely say that for a period
of time, you are a student.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 14th 05, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On 2005-12-13, Bob Moore wrote:
"JohnH" wrote
An unsafe pilot is one who no longer considers him/herself to be a
student.

Well, I sure as hell don't consider myself to still be a student.
Not after 20,000+ flight hours.

Ah yes, just like the airline pilot at our glider club who thought he
didn't need a recurrency check after not flying a glider for a few
months, and nearly wrecked the tug and glider combination...

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old December 15th 05, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

It's true what they say. The world has no further use for those that
have nothing more to learn.
-Robert

Old December 15th 05, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 121...
"JohnH" wrote
An unsafe pilot is one who no longer considers him/herself to be a
student.

Well, I sure as hell don't consider myself to still be a student.
Not after 20,000+ flight hours.

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727 L-188
Flight Instructor Airplane/Instrument Airplane
USN S-2F P-2V P-3B
PanAm (retired)

Bob,

I think his point would be that even with all your glorified wide body time,
you come take a ride with me in my F-15 and you're a student buddy. If you
think you're not, then you're dangerous.

I worry more about the 20,000 hour "I can fly anything" pilot than I do
about my younger guys who "know they know nothing". (when transitiioning to
a new airframe)

(not saying you're like that, just trying to explain his point)

Cirrus demo Dan Luke Piloting 12 December 4th 05 05:26 AM
New G-1000 182 & Cirrus SR-22 GTS Dan Luke Owning 22 June 27th 05 07:18 PM
New G-1000 182 & Cirrus SR-22 GTS Dan Luke Piloting 24 June 27th 05 07:18 PM
Cirrus SR22 Purchase advice needed. C J Campbell Piloting 122 May 10th 04 11:30 PM