Screen Luminance

Old October 10th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Screen Luminance

Anybody could tell me how the "nits" related to the standard measure
of Luminance "cd/m2" (candela per square meter) ?
I have seen in this forum, that for example the brightness of the
Clearnav and Ultimate is about 1000-1500 nits as somebody said, but
how much is in cd/m2 ?
A TFT screen with 300 candela per square meter is readable in direct
sunlight ?
Maybe stupid questions ?
Old October 10th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Oct 10, 1:08*pm, wrote:
Anybody could tell me how the "nits" related to the standard measure
of Luminance "cd/m2" *(candela per square meter) ?
I have seen in this forum, that for example the brightness of the
Clearnav and Ultimate is about 1000-1500 nits as somebody said, but
how much is in cd/m2 ?
A TFT screen with 300 candela per square meter is readable in direct
sunlight ?
Maybe stupid questions ?

Google "nit candela", click on the top link. Pretty easy.

A nit is a candela per square meter.

What is readable in direct sunlight is not just captured by the nit
rating. A lot depends on contrast, type of display, surface
reflections, color properties of the display, and especially *your*
eyesight. So if screen visibility is a big issue to try to find a way
to look at the displays.

Darryl
Old October 10th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Pokorski

On Oct 10, 4:20*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Oct 10, 1:08*pm, wrote:

Anybody could tell me how the "nits" related to the standard measure
of Luminance "cd/m2" *(candela per square meter) ?
I have seen in this forum, that for example the brightness of the
Clearnav and Ultimate is about 1000-1500 nits as somebody said, but
how much is in cd/m2 ?
A TFT screen with 300 candela per square meter is readable in direct
sunlight ?
Maybe stupid questions ?

Google "nit candela", click on the top link. Pretty easy.

A nit is a candela per square meter.

What is readable in direct sunlight is not just captured by the nit
rating. A lot depends on contrast, type of display, surface
reflections, color properties of the display, and especially *your*
eyesight. So if screen visibility is a big issue to try to find a way
to look at the displays.

Darryl

Bottom line, I've had no trouble reading the ClearNav display in the
cockpit through sunglasses with dense mountainous terrain displayed.
Better than anything else I've seen.

Best regards,

Jay
R6
Old October 10th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

On Oct 10, 1:08*pm, wrote:
Anybody could tell me how the "nits" related to the standard measure
of Luminance "cd/m2" *(candela per square meter) ?
I have seen in this forum, that for example the brightness of the
Clearnav and Ultimate is about 1000-1500 nits as somebody said, but
how much is in cd/m2 ?
A TFT screen with 300 candela per square meter is readable in direct
sunlight ?
Maybe stupid questions ?

1 Nit = 1 cd/m2 Candela per square meter.

The Craggy Aero Ultimate is adjustable with a max of 1800 nits. The
type of coating on the screen also imporve the sunlight viewability.

There is no difference between sunlight and shade with the Ultimate.

Please see the shade line http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate.htm
second picture on the right.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old October 10th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Richard,
What type of screen are you using for Ultimate ?
Old October 10th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

On Oct 10, 1:08 pm, wrote:

[...]

Getting enough screen brightness to be viewable in direct sunlight is
relatively easy. Doing it at a reasonable current draw is the hard part.
Most of these 1000 nit plus screens draw around an amp at full brightness.

Old October 11th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

On Oct 10, 2:10*pm, wrote:
Richard,
What type of screen are you using for Ultimate ?

The screen is proprietary but the specs are on my web site.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 11th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Doing it at a reasonable current draw is the hard part.
Most of these 1000 nit plus screens draw around an amp at full brightness.

Yeah, but if you can afford the Craggy or the ClearNav you can also
afford to buy the LiFePO4 batteries to double your amp hours for the
same weight as your lead bricks, not to mention adding 5-20W (or more)
of on-board solar to boot...

-Paul

Old October 11th 08, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Richard,
What does it mean ?
"The screen is proprietary but the specs are on my web site."
Are you saying that the TFT is not from China or Taiwan ? I think all
the TFTs, from the smallest to the largest are made there. If you
browse the www.globalsources.com, you can find hundreds of suppliers.
Which one are you using for the Ultimate )) ?
btw. this is not a bad thing at all, setting-up nice things from
standard parts avaliable form the market and adding value to it, I am
just curious.
Old October 11th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

I have measured the ClearNav on full brightness at 605mA, on power save
where it drops back to 'low', still easily bright sunlight readable,
until you press a button, below 400mA.

The figures from Craggy gave the Ultimate as about One and a half Amps,
but I haven't seen any independant measurement. For a screen that big and
bright with touch screen, that sounds about right.

At 01:21 11 October 2008, sisu1a wrote:
Doing it at a reasonable current draw is the hard part.
Most of these 1000 nit plus screens draw around an amp at full

brightness.

soaring on screen [email protected] Soaring 28 December 30th 06 04:27 PM
Screen shots in OS2 Michael Baldwin, Bruce Products 0 November 9th 06 07:18 AM
Screen shots Frank Beagle Simulators 0 November 6th 05 01:47 PM
New 5" VGA screen computer Eric Greenwell Soaring 10 January 16th 05 10:02 PM
Dual screen in FS9 John Mullen Simulators 2 September 29th 03 12:59 AM