Sailplane Tracker oddness/bug (15-m and Open Nats)

Old June 26th 13, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Sailplane Tracker oddness/bug (15-m and Open Nats)

I'm curious if anyone else is seeing the same problem I am, when they use the Tracker...

If you go to the main page for the 15-meter/Open Nat Championships
http://www.ssa.org/SailplaneTracker/default.asp?id=2223

You see tabs for "15" and "Open". Clicking on either tab in Firefox shows the task for the day and only a very partial list of the sailplanes flying in that class. Clicking on those tabs in Chroms gives a complete list of the sailplanes in that class but a bunch of "(no tracker)" messages next to many of them.

However, if you click the "- Industrial Airpark" button in the upper-left part of the page and then choose the "Tracks" tab, you see a complete list of ALL of the participants and their active traces - including many of the sailplanes that are missing from the Firefox view and/or showing "(no tracker)" in Chrome.

Is it just my PC, or are others experiencing this inconsistency?

--Noel

Old June 26th 13, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:46:04 PM UTC-7, noel.wade wrote:
Clicking on those tabs in Chroms

Errr... _CHROME_

*sigh*

--Noel
Old June 27th 13, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

Same for me as well Noel.
Craig R.
Old June 27th 13, 07:24 PM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig R. View Post
Same for me as well Noel.
Craig R.
...and same here Noel (both Windows and Linux). And, if you try to use IE, you will get a disclaimer saying "GlidePort runs best in WebKit browsers such as Chrome (Preferred) or Safari, or alternatively in Mozilla/Firefox..."

So, it sounds like there are features/functions not running consistently well in Firefox.

Brad.
Old June 27th 13, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

Obviously, it isn't acceptable that you have to run a specific browser to view the sailplane tracker and especially limited to less popular browsers. SSA should have this corrected immediately (should never have happened in the first place).
Craig R.
Old June 27th 13, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:27:03 PM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote:
Obviously, it isn't acceptable that you have to run a specific browser to view the sailplane tracker and especially limited to less popular browsers. SSA should have this corrected immediately (should never have happened in the first place).

Craig R.

In the development community, IE is not liked. In a seminar on developing
javascript, I was told "IE is your enemy". Things that work everywhere else
won't work on IE. Things that work on IE won't work anywhere else.

Matt (who tests web software for a living)
Old June 27th 13, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

In the development community, IE is not liked. In a seminar on developing

javascript, I was told "IE is your enemy". Things that work everywhere else

won't work on IE. Things that work on IE won't work anywhere else.

Matt (who tests web software for a living)

Matt, I appreciate the difficulty in dealing with IE (I'm NOT a fan of MS products). However, when providing a service or product, you cater to your primary and secondary customer first. Whatever it takes. After that is accomplished, you expand further. Stats show desktop comp browser market share at 56% and Firefox at 22%. Mobile devices are 56% Safari. Chrome is down the list. You certainly should have IE and Safari covered before moving on. It is inappropriate for management to do otherwise.

Craig R
Old June 27th 13, 09:48 PM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Just logged into tracker for today's (Thu., 27 Jun) 15m/Open Nats using Firefox...looks like things are functioning well!

Brad.
Old June 27th 13, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Georgas[_2_]

On 27/06/2013 23:30, Craig R. wrote:
In the development community, IE is not liked. In a seminar on developing

javascript, I was told "IE is your enemy". Things that work everywhere else

won't work on IE. Things that work on IE won't work anywhere else.

Matt (who tests web software for a living)

Matt, I appreciate the difficulty in dealing with IE (I'm NOT a fan of MS products). However, when providing a service or product, you cater to your primary and secondary customer first. Whatever it takes. After that is accomplished, you expand further. Stats show desktop comp browser market share at 56% and Firefox at 22%. Mobile devices are 56% Safari. Chrome is down the list. You certainly should have IE and Safari covered before moving on. It is inappropriate for management to do otherwise.

Craig R

A few thoughts on browser support from my personal experience:

I appreciate the importance of having to cater to customers and thus,
given the installation base of IE, needing to have this covered. This
used to be the standard in web design.

However, new developments in web technology --namely HTML5-- and
Microsoft's unwillingness or inability to properly support these when
the vast majority of other browsers, desktop or otherwise, do more than
a fare job at it, means that developers are now faced with the choice of
offering reduced functionality to all users, or developing more
innovating products and services, but dropping full support of IE.

The reality is that Firefox, Chrome and a list of other browsers are
free to download and easy to install in just a few minutes.

Having myself faced this dilemma recently, I have to say that I would
prefer to offer my customers a basic level of service on IE and an
advanced level of functionality on other browsers.

Here is a simple example: if you want to upload a bunch of files you can
select them one-by-one from the browser's file dialogue or you could
simply selected them from the files explorer window and drag them onto
the browser (same as you would do from one file explorer window to
another). Which method would you prefer to use? This is just a very
small example from a big list of things one can/cannot do, depending on
if you fully support IE or not.

Microsoft had raised expectations that the new Windows version would
have a standards-compliant IE, but it seems this is far from the case.
It used to be that Microsoft tended to adulterate existing standards in
order to promote use of its proprietary products, but in this day and
age it boggles the mind why standard features which have been working on
practically every other browser for some time now will not work or will
respond very differently on IE.

End of rant.

Old June 27th 13, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

When a product has been developed and provided to the community for free, I believe it is entirely reasonable for the developers to support browsers and technology that work well for their desired goal and keeps the effort required to implement and maintain a solution minimal.

Unless you're working on a locked down company computer, you are free to install Chrome/Firefox/Safari or other browsers. IE may have a large but shrinking percentage of the market, but the percentage that truly cannot use a different browser is likely miniscule.

SSA web site analytics may also completely disagree with the general population. Not likely, but possible. I have run sites that did not conform at all to the reported marketshare numbers. It all depends on your population..

Morgan