What Airplane Is This?

Old July 9th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc
John A. Weeks III

Default What Airplane Is This?

Please take a look at these two photos, and let me know
if you know what make/model these airplanes a

http://www.johnweeks.com/tmp/fof1.jpg
http://www.johnweeks.com/tmp/fof2.jpg

These two aircraft look to be identical. The photos were
taken during a driving rain on July 2 at a building across
the highway from the Fantasy Of Flight air museum in Polk
City, Florida. FOF is located about halfway between Orlando
and Tampa Bay on I-4. I think that the fuselages are upside
down, but I am not even sure of that. They appear to be
patrol bombers, or maybe large flying boats, but in looking
though books and photos that I have, they don't seem to match
anything that I am familiar with. The only thing that looks
close would be B-24 with a custom greenhouse nose.

Any ideas?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old July 9th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 09:35:12 -0500, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:

Please take a look at these two photos, and let me know
if you know what make/model these airplanes a

http://www.johnweeks.com/tmp/fof1.jpg
http://www.johnweeks.com/tmp/fof2.jpg

These two aircraft look to be identical. The photos were
taken during a driving rain on July 2 at a building across
the highway from the Fantasy Of Flight air museum in Polk
City, Florida. FOF is located about halfway between Orlando
and Tampa Bay on I-4. I think that the fuselages are upside
down, but I am not even sure of that. They appear to be
patrol bombers, or maybe large flying boats, but in looking
though books and photos that I have, they don't seem to match
anything that I am familiar with. The only thing that looks
close would be B-24 with a custom greenhouse nose.

Any ideas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PB4Y_Privateer

A Maritime patrol version of the B-24.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Old July 9th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc
Eugene Griessel

wrote:

Please take a look at these two photos, and let me know
if you know what make/model these airplanes a

http://www.johnweeks.com/tmp/fof1.jpg
http://www.johnweeks.com/tmp/fof2.jpg

These two aircraft look to be identical. The photos were
taken during a driving rain on July 2 at a building across
the highway from the Fantasy Of Flight air museum in Polk
City, Florida. FOF is located about halfway between Orlando
and Tampa Bay on I-4. I think that the fuselages are upside
down, but I am not even sure of that. They appear to be
patrol bombers, or maybe large flying boats, but in looking
though books and photos that I have, they don't seem to match
anything that I am familiar with. The only thing that looks
close would be B-24 with a custom greenhouse nose.

Any ideas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PB4Y_Privateer

A Maritime patrol version of the B-24.

Doesn't much look like a Privateer - even the cargo conversions. It
looks more like a Liberator but the panels are wrong. The Liberator
(as did the Privateer) had a pronounced sloping down from the
cockpit to the second "hoop" of the nose-glazing with the panels being
shaped to fit. The panels in the photo are all square. Not many
slab-sided aircraft though.

Eugene L Griessel

If psychics are for real..why don't they call us?
Old July 9th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc
Dale

In article ,

They are not B-24 or PB4Y-2s. My bet would be on a Shorts
Sunderland...Kermit has one that he flew into Fantasy of Flight.
Old July 9th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc
Eugene Griessel

Dale wrote:

In article ,
"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

They are not B-24 or PB4Y-2s. My bet would be on a Shorts
Sunderland...Kermit has one that he flew into Fantasy of Flight.

Definitely not a Sunderland - or any of the Empire series of boats
either. Although that was my first guess after B-24. Nor a Kawanishi
Emily either. Very intriguing - the fuselages do appear to have
suffered considerable modifications.

Eugene L Griessel

To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven.
The same key opens the gates of hell. - Siddhartha Gautama
Old July 9th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc
Ron Wanttaja

wrote:

Please take a look at these two photos, and let me know
if you know what make/model these airplanes a

http://www.johnweeks.com/tmp/fof1.jpg
http://www.johnweeks.com/tmp/fof2.jpg

Any ideas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PB4Y_Privateer

A Maritime patrol version of the B-24.

Doesn't much look like a Privateer - even the cargo conversions. It
looks more like a Liberator but the panels are wrong. The Liberator
(as did the Privateer) had a pronounced sloping down from the
cockpit to the second "hoop" of the nose-glazing with the panels being
shaped to fit. The panels in the photo are all square. Not many
slab-sided aircraft though.

Several of the WWII British bombers are somewhat slab-sided. John's photos
don't match a Lancaster, but what about a Halifax?

Ron Wanttaja

Old July 9th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc
Eugene Griessel

"Dave Deep" wrote:

They are upsidedown when you turn the pics over def B24s.

By jove, I think you've got it! Yes, I agree.

Eugene L Griessel

Teamwork is essential. It allows you to blame somebody else.
Old July 9th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc

Eugene Griessel wrote:
"Dave Deep" wrote:

They are upsidedown when you turn the pics over def B24s.

By jove, I think you've got it! Yes, I agree.

Eugene L Griessel

Teamwork is essential. It allows you to blame somebody else.

I don't think he has it. I say Airship gondolas, why else would there
be a rail around it ? Flip them over and picture a gasbag on top of it

Old July 9th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc
Dale

In article ,
"Dave Deep" wrote:

They are upsidedown when you turn the pics over def B24s.

Dave

I really don't think so. The nose is shaped wrong to be a B-24. Also,
along the side you can see two areas (one high, one low) that look to be
attach points for a wing/strut/something...that doesn't fit for the
Liberator either. If they are B-24s they are D models and the D had
glazing over the top of the nose...these are metal. Framing in the nose
area is also incorrect for a B-24.

All right, someone in Florida drive over there and find out what these
are!! G

Crash In The Nolichucky W P Dixon Piloting 2 June 22nd 05 04:16 PM
The Best Airplane Veeduber Home Built 1 February 13th 04 05:43 AM
Homebuilt Aircraft Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Ron Wanttaja Home Built 2 February 2nd 04 11:41 PM