Logging oil changes

Old November 17th 04, 11:25 PM
Dave Stadt

"Newps" wrote in message

Michael wrote:
Newps wrote

If you didn't log it, it didn't happen. So clearly, you

performed the preventive maintenance in a manner that might not have
been acceptable to the administrator. Busted.

No. Prove the oil change was done wrong.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works with the FAA. The ALJ's
handbook specifically states that you are an interested party, and the
inspector is not, so if it's his word against yours, he is
automatically right.

With the FAA, you are guilty until proven innocent.

No, if they are going to assert I did not do my oil change correctly
they have to have proof. Saying I did it wrong is not proof

Dream on.

Old November 17th 04, 11:39 PM
Matt Whiting

Doug wrote:

Since the FAA has been citing owner/operators for INCORRECT WORDING in
maintenance logs, what IS the correct wording for an oil change log?

I haven't heard this. Who has been cited and what entries were
considered to be incorrectly worded?

Matt

Old November 18th 04, 01:13 AM
Doug

Newps wrote in message ...
They get you for LOGGING it wrong. Don't you have to put "return to service" ?

Old November 18th 04, 01:19 AM
Newps

Doug wrote:
Newps wrote in message ...

They get you for LOGGING it wrong. Don't you have to put "return to service" ?

No. A casual perusal of my logbooks going back to 1967 shows the term
return to service maybe 5 times. I couldn't even hazard a guess how
many different mechanics that must be from all over the country.
Old November 18th 04, 02:24 AM

On 17 Nov 2004 17:13:18 -0800, (Doug)
wrote:

Newps wrote in message ...
They get you for LOGGING it wrong. Don't you have to put "return to service" ?

As of 01-01-2004

Cut-n-paste apologies for any funky formatting:

PART 43--MAINTENANCE, PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE, REBUILDING, AND
ALTERATION--Table of Contents

Sec. 43.9 Content, form, and disposition of maintenance, preventive
maintenance, rebuilding, and alteration records (except inspections
performed in accordance with part 91, part 123, part 125, Sec.
135.411(a)(1), and Sec. 135.419 of this chapter).

a) Maintenance record entries. Except as provided in paragraphs (b)
and (c) of this section, each person who maintains, performs
preventive maintenance, rebuilds, or alters an aircraft, airframe,
aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part shall make an
entry in the maintenance record of that equipment containing the
following information:

1) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the
Administrator) of work performed.

(2) The date of completion of the work performed.

(3) The name of the person performing the work if other than the
person specified in paragraph (a)(4) of this section.

(4) If the work performed on the aircraft, airframe, aircraft
engine, propeller, appliance, or component part has been performed
satisfactorily, the signature, certificate number, and kind of
certificate held by the person approving the work. The signature
constitutes the approval for return to service only for the work
performed.

TC
Old November 18th 04, 01:30 PM
Ron Natalie

Matt Whiting wrote:
Doug wrote:

Since the FAA has been citing owner/operators for INCORRECT WORDING in
maintenance logs, what IS the correct wording for an oil change log?

I haven't heard this. Who has been cited and what entries were
considered to be incorrectly worded?

The major issue is not signing the log. The aircraft is not approved
for return to service without the signature, pilot cert type and number
of the person approving the maintenance.
Old November 18th 04, 01:35 PM
Ron Natalie

Doug wrote:
Newps wrote in message ...
They get you for LOGGING it wrong. Don't you have to put "return to service" ?

You do not have to say "return to service" The regs specifically say the signature
is the approval.

12/1/2004 Oil Changed SIGNATUREJoe Owner-Pilot/SIGNATURE PP-ASEL 9999999.

is all that is requuired by the regs. You're always supposed to use approved
procedures, that doesn't need repeating.

You need the:

1. Date
2. The description of work performed
3. Person doing it (if different from the one approving it)
4. Signature, certificate, and certificate number of the person approving
for return to service.

Logging time on a PCATD [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 3 December 18th 04 05:25 PM
Logging Actual Time Brenor Brophy Instrument Flight Rules 9 November 3rd 04 03:00 PM
CFI logging requirement [email protected] Owning 9 October 19th 04 07:11 PM
Logging local flights. Rich Owning 23 July 16th 04 12:02 AM
Logging again Doug Instrument Flight Rules 10 September 17th 03 02:38 AM