Transponder petition

Old February 28th 04, 06:38 AM
Mike Koerner

I agree with Roger. I have a 33 AH battery in my sailplane and it won't
drive my transponder and encoder for a full day's flight often at cold
temperatures. Admittedly it's not a new transponder (I've had it since '84)
and it not a new battery (I'll replace it this season and see if that
helps). But even at 33 AH, I'd still have problems stringing flights
together (4 straight-out, crewless diamonds in four days in 2001 ;-).

I was surprised to hear about the SSA transponder petition (thanks Eric) but
I'm VERY pleased with it. It addresses a legal dilemma I've faced for a long
time. My thanks for the efforts of all involved. Here's how I responded to
the docket:

I strongly support the proposed exemption to transponder-on requirements for
gliders. This exemption will increase safety by encouraging the use of
transponders in gliders while operating in high traffic areas.

Many gliders have no electrical system at all. The use of transponders in
these aircraft is neither practical nor possible.

Other gliders have electrical systems but they do not have a means of
electrical power generation. These gliders are dependant on batteries.

A few gliders with battery-powered electrical systems have transponders. My
sailplane is one these.

However, the battery in my sailplane is not capable of operating my
transponder continuously. I often make flights of 8 to 10 hours duration and
300 to 500 miles distance. Despite having installed a much larger battery
than the sailplane was initially designed for, I am still unable to operate
the transponder for more than a few hours at a time.

Most of my soaring occurs in at low altitudes, in remote areas, off airways
where there are no other aircraft. Two significant exceptions, however, are
when I fly past Reno or Las Vegas. During the period of time that I am in
the vicinity of these cities, I would like to operate my transponder.

Under current regulations however, I can not do this. I am required to leave
my transponder on throughout the flight. But with the transponder on
continuously, my battery power is fully expended before I ever reach Nevada
(I fly out of Southern California).

The proposed exemption is a very sensible solution to this dilemma. It
allows me to operate the transponder in the areas where it may be useful,
instead of running the battery dead operating it in areas where it is not.

Mike Koerner