Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 17th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven Barnes

Default Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

I believe the only time you can ignore a course reversal is:
* Timed approach from a fix
* Coming in on a segment labeled NoPT (such as the typical left or right IAF
on a standard "T" GPS approach)
* Vectors to Final.

Cleared direct to the IF/IAF doesn't necessarily mean you're getting
vectors. Maybe, maybe not. I've been cleared to an IF/IAF just to get me in
line farther out from the FAF. Shortly before getting to the IF/IAF, I'm
given the spiel of "x miles from FAF, maintain y until..." Thump the Vectors
to Final button OR just take the GPS out of OBS HOLD mode & on to the FAF
you go.

If I don't hear the controller tell me I'm getting vectors to final, I will
ask. If it turns out I'm not, I've got the full approach already up &
running.

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
John Collins wrote:

An Intermediate Fix may also be an Initial Approach Fix.

A typical example is a T style approach, where both the right base and

the
left base ends are IAFs and the top center of the T is an IF, but not an
IAF. See http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0802/05726R5.PDF

There are numerous examples of the top center being both an IF and an

IAF.
See http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0802/05683R28.PDF

When an IF is also an IAF, you can select the IF(IAF) in the select

approach
dialog.

Actually, it is only (and always) when it has a hold-in-lieu course
reversal.

Next question: If a controller clears you directly to an IF/IAF do you
always disregard the hold-in-lieu course reversal and go straight-in?