an interesting in flight experiment

Old October 20th 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default an interesting in flight experiment

On Oct 19, 6:49*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"-b-" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

Isn't English fun?

Not bad, but I'll bet you never tried or even tasted French!
KA

What's wrong with French?
It's the only place where saying "Pitot" comes naturally! ;-)

I've been outdone!

Peter

There are places in the US where one would not say pitot in mixed
company because you may be escorted out the door with a pitchfork.
Been there, don't want to go back.
Old October 20th 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

jan olieslagers wrote:
Ross schreef:
I ... squawked the aircraft upon landing.

Ross, what do you mean by "squawking a plane upon landing?"
I only know the verb in a transponder context.

Squawk, write-up and snag mean about the same when applied to
notifying the service group about aircraft systems misfunctions.

Brian W
Old October 20th 09, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

-b- wrote:
Reading the posts here I believe there may be confusion between two different,
but related issues.

Why do we have two mags per engine and two spark plugs per cylinder?
The main reason is redundancy, and the secondary reason is performance.

On the performance side, losing one mag in flight should produce a slight
decrease in performance, but no really significant roughness or danger to the
engine. The function of both mags is detected through the single-mag check on
runup.

A far more likely occurrence however is the failure of a sparkplug in one
cylinder. This goes almost undetected if both mags are working, but will
produce very significant roughness on the single-mag check, and will produce a
considerable imbalance in operation. So on the redundancy side the mag check
serves not only to detect a faulty mag, but more likely to detect a faulty
spark plug. If you never did the single mag check, you could theoretically run
for some time with a defective plug or even more than one. Then the day you
have a mag failure you are at risk of a rapid engine failure.

Good point. I had a mag failure on a night flight with an instructor
long ago, from Tulsa to Oklahoma City. The engine sounded rough, and the
instructor suggested a mag check: one side led to a slight reduction,
the other to a rapid tailoff of RPM.
So we turned tail.

Brian W
Old October 20th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

jan olieslagers wrote:
Ross schreef:
I ... squawked the aircraft upon landing.

Ross, what do you mean by "squawking a plane upon landing?"
I only know the verb in a transponder context.

We use that word to make write ups on the squawk sheet that they had for
each airplane, describing what is wrong. That is what they called it a
squawk sheet. I looked at dictionary.com for the definition of squawk. I
am not sure it would apply for this or a transponder. The definitions
came back as:

1. to utter a loud, harsh cry, as a duck or other fowl when frightened.
2. Informal. to complain loudly and vehemently.

A little harsh meaning
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 20th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

John Clear wrote:
In article ,
jan olieslagers wrote:
Ross schreef:
I ... squawked the aircraft upon landing.

Ross, what do you mean by "squawking a plane upon landing?"
I only know the verb in a transponder context.

Squawk in this usage is a maintenance issue. In the US, it is
common for a plane to have a 'squawk sheet' aka maintenance log
that pilots can note issues on.

If the transponder wasn't working, you'd squawk it for not squawking.

Isn't English fun?

John

That was good!

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 20th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Oct 20, 12:16*pm, Ross wrote:
jan olieslagers wrote:
Ross schreef:
I ... squawked the aircraft upon landing.

Ross, what do you mean by "squawking a plane upon landing?"
I only know the verb in a transponder context.

We use that word to make write ups on the squawk sheet that they had for
each airplane, describing what is wrong. *That is what they called it a
squawk sheet. I looked at dictionary.com for the definition of squawk. I
am not sure it would apply for this or a transponder. The definitions
came back as:

1. to utter a loud, harsh cry, as a duck or other fowl when frightened.
2. Informal. to complain loudly and vehemently.

A little harsh meaning
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Sold
KSWI

We've all heard 'squack ident', but I laughed out loud when a
controller told me to 'strangle the parrot'. Yes, he meant put the
transponder to standby.
Old October 20th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:16:41 -0500, Ross wrote in :

We use that word to make write ups on the squawk sheet that they had for
each airplane, describing what is wrong. That is what they called it a
squawk sheet. I looked at dictionary.com for the definition of squawk. I
am not sure it would apply for this or a transponder. The definitions
came back as:

1. to utter a loud, harsh cry, as a duck or other fowl when frightened.
2. Informal. to complain loudly and vehemently.

A little harsh meaning

I didn't realize that I didn't know how to spell the word
correctly until I read your post.

I've been reading it without difficulty since I subscribed
to Flying magazine in the mid-60s.

What a word!

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old October 21st 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Dave Doe wrote:
There are places in the US where one would not say pitot in mixed
company because you may be escorted out the door with a pitchfork.
Been there, don't want to go back.

Why's that? Where's that? What does it mean "down there"?

I could only think of the places that think of the fried articles as
Freedom Fries

Brian W
Old October 21st 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Oct 20, 8:33*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
Dave Doe wrote:

... There are places in the US where one would not say pitot in mixed
company because you may be escorted out the door with a pitchfork.
Been there, don't want to go back.

Why's that? Where's that? What does it mean "down there"?

I could only think of the places that think of the fried articles as
Freedom Fries

Brian W

As a way off topic response, I live in North Carolina, home of "I bet
I can deep fry that". For proof, our State Fair is going on now, and
there are deep fried Coca Cola soaked breads, pickles, candy
bars, . . . It might have been here that chicken fried steak was
invented: start with a great steak, coat it with bread crumbs, and fry
until well past well done.

The airspace above the Fair should be restricted -- it may be CAVU but
the vapors on your windscreen will make it actual IMC in the cockpit.
Of course, your engine will run rich, ingesting a near explosive
mixture of air and grease vapor. And drag goes down too -- but be
careful exiting your low winged airplane, the traction you expect will
not be the grease does that.

Close by are some of the better heart hospitals in the country.
Coincidence? I think not.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program.