an interesting in flight experiment

Old October 21st 09, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Poitras

Default an interesting in flight experiment

The new addition this year: Chocolate-covered bacon. Mmmmm...
And congressman Jones of "Freedom Fries" fame did eventually come
to his senses and Congress no longer has to eat "Freedom Toast", etc.
I think it was because he was getting pressure to institute "Freedom Curves"
and "Freedom Kissing".

a wrote:
On Oct 20, 8:33?pm, brian whatcott wrote:
Dave Doe wrote:

... There are places in the US where one would not say pitot in mixed
company because you may be escorted out the door with a pitchfork.
Been there, don't want to go back.

Why's that? Where's that? What does it mean "down there"?

I could only think of the places that think of the fried articles as
Freedom Fries

Brian W

As a way off topic response, I live in North Carolina, home of "I bet
I can deep fry that". For proof, our State Fair is going on now, and
there are deep fried Coca Cola soaked breads, pickles, candy
bars, . . . It might have been here that chicken fried steak was
invented: start with a great steak, coat it with bread crumbs, and fry
until well past well done.

The airspace above the Fair should be restricted -- it may be CAVU but
the vapors on your windscreen will make it actual IMC in the cockpit.
Of course, your engine will run rich, ingesting a near explosive
mixture of air and grease vapor. And drag goes down too -- but be
careful exiting your low winged airplane, the traction you expect will
not be the grease does that.

Close by are some of the better heart hospitals in the country.
Coincidence? I think not.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program.

--
Don Poitras
Old October 21st 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Dave Doe wrote:

[...]

Should the thread continue on this path, it will have to cross post to
cardiac or food groups. I'll have to look for the chocolate covered
deep fried bacon. Have you noticed the slicked down look and shiny
hair most people have as they return to their cars (which have been
under and over coated with rust proofing if they were parked downwind
in the fair (downwind makes this aviation related)). (note the nested
(()) -- programming habits die hard.

Do people still use French curves? Or even vellum? It's difficult
enough even buying graph paper these days.
Old October 21st 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:09:57 -0700 (PDT), a wrote in
:

... (note the nested
(()) -- programming habits die hard.

Note the missing closing paren at the end of that sentence.

I know from bitter experience what a missing paren or semicolon
does to code. (

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old October 21st 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Oct 21, 9:45*am, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:09:57 -0700 (PDT), a wrote in
:

... (note the nested
(()) -- programming habits die hard.

Note the missing closing paren at the end of that sentence.

I know from bitter experience what a missing paren or semicolon
does to code. *(

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk..*
Seehttp://www.big-8.orgfor info on how to add or remove newsgroups.

Glad you saw it -- you're validated as a programmer!!!
Old October 21st 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith[_2_]

On 2009-10-21, Martin X. Moleski, SJ wrote:
Note the missing closing paren at the end of that sentence.

I know from bitter experience what a missing paren or semicolon
does to code. (

But under normal circumstances, the compiler picks it up and stops
with a compile error.

On the other hand, writing "=" where you actually meant "==" can cause
a complete new world of hurt with some compilers :-)

Old October 21st 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On 2009-10-21, Martin X. Moleski, SJ wrote:
Note the missing closing paren at the end of that sentence.

I know from bitter experience what a missing paren or semicolon
does to code. (

But under normal circumstances, the compiler picks it up and stops
with a compile error.

And a kindly compiler or engine suggests what might have
gone wrong.

The painful times are when it reports the NEXT error caused
by the missing characters. (

On the other hand, writing "=" where you actually meant "==" can cause
a complete new world of hurt with some compilers :-)

BTDT, know what you mean. :-O

Marty
Old October 21st 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote:

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:09:57 -0700 (PDT), a wrote in
:

... (note the nested
(()) -- programming habits die hard.

Note the missing closing paren at the end of that sentence.

I know from bitter experience what a missing paren or semicolon
does to code. (

Your sentence ends with an unbalanced paren too, you know!

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old October 21st 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:38:59 -0400, Mike Ash wrote in
:

In article ,
"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote:

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:09:57 -0700 (PDT), a wrote in
:

... (note the nested
(()) -- programming habits die hard.

Note the missing closing paren at the end of that sentence.

I know from bitter experience what a missing paren or semicolon
does to code. (

Your sentence ends with an unbalanced paren too, you know!

DOH! Good eyes! :-P

Marty
Old October 21st 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:29:41 -0700 (PDT), a wrote:

On Oct 18, 5:18*pm, Franklin "Franklin
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 12:48:26 -0700 (PDT), a wrote:
On Oct 18, 2:24*pm, "vaughn"
wrote:
"a" wrote in message

My hand stays on the mag switch throughout a mag check so I want to
believe I won't forget to go back to both -- help us avoid making your
mistake: do you remember what distracted you enough to leave it
pointing to a single bank of plugs?

I agree, no reason to take your hand off the switch, but things can still go
wrong! *I also took off on one mag once. *I don't think I actually forgot to
return the switch to "both", but just made a sloppy job of it and somehow
ended up with the switch not quite in the detent. *I still kick myself for
not aborting that takeoff. *It turned out to be a butt-puckering trip around
the patch. *I never did make it alll the way up to pattern height.

Now I visually verify the position of the switch before leaving the runup
pad.

Lesson learned!

Vaughn

That's interesting. My primary flight instructor must have been burned
by something like that, because my training (which did not include
getting rapped across the knuckles with a stick -- that was from grade
school days) was to focus on the tach, go from both to left, note the
drop, back to both, see the tach get back to 1900, go to right, note
the drop, go to both, see the tach get back to 1900, and only then let
go of the mag switch.

He was the same guy who insisted controls like throttle and mixture
should be pushed with the palm, pulled with curled fingers, and never
grasped-- his point was that if can can only push or pull you are less
apt to move something in the wrong direction. Some old habits are
worth retaining. If he could have he would have replaced radio tuning
knobs with paddles.

Would you say he was compulsive?

No but he had a feckin' moron for a student.

Thanks so much for your insight.

No problem, you need all the help you can get obviously.

So far his moronic student had 3000
safe odd hours in a complex single, so his instruction worked.

All while beating your meat and massaging your ego, quite a feat.

You, on
the other hand -- your remark is the QED of that -- clearly failed in
social skills..

I agree to your social superiority, masturbation and ego stroking.

You win.