Some good news to my old friends here at rec.aviation

Old February 21st 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
David Lesher

Default Some good news to my old friends here at rec.aviation

"Jay Honeck" writes:

For those who don't know, back in 2002 members of this group were
instrumental with helping Mary and me decide to make the leap into an
unknown realm by endeavoring to create an aviation-themed hotel in Iowa
City, Iowa called "The Alexis Park Inn & Suites".

The good news? Mary and I have just closed a deal on a motel located on
Mustang Island, Texas, in the town of Port Aransas!

Ahem Jay.... You've moved from a place where the water
comes from below, and creeps upward; to one where it comes
down from above and all sides...

I'd have thought you'd go to the high desert or such...

In any case, the best of luck with it. Of course, flying
back & forth is now a business expense; you might need a
PC-12 for the task...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old February 21st 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Feb 21, 10:28*am, brian whatcott wrote:
Congratulations! I hear Mustang is worth a weather check for the
sometimes foggy arrivals...

Brian W

Jay Honeck wrote:
I'm not sure if there are any folks left here from "the Golden Age of
Rec.Aviation", but -- just in case -- I would like to share some great
news with y'all.

For those who don't know, back in 2002 members of this group were
instrumental with helping Mary and me decide to make the leap into an
unknown realm by endeavoring to create an aviation-themed hotel in Iowa
City, Iowa called "The Alexis Park Inn & Suites".

At the time it was a run-down old residence hotel, and we were just a
couple of pilots who wanted to somehow break into the "aviation world"
without actually BEING in the aviation world. *We didn't have a clue
what we were doing, so -- virtually every step of the way -- I bounced
ideas and questions off of the members of these groups, and was always
rewarded with sage advice and remarkable contributions of ALL kinds.

Those contributions weren't limited to well-wishes, but consisted of
some remarkable donations of artwork and memorabilia that have helped to
make our aviation theme suites unique and very popular. *Quite frankly,
we could not have created the Alexis without help from those who once
populated these groups, which has made the demise of rec.aviation doubly
hard to watch. *But I digress...

The good news? *Mary and I have just closed a deal on a motel located on
Mustang Island, Texas, in the town of Port Aransas! *This area is
commonly known as "the Texas Riviera", with miles of white-sand beaches
and lovely flying weather year-round. *The island has a terrific little
airport (KRAS -- Mustang Beach Airport) within a mile of the new motel,
which is currently called "Harbor Inn". * We take possession on 4/19/10,
and you are ALL invited to the grand opening!

But don't expect to see the aviation theme right away. *We will be
taking over at the start of the high season, so we don't think we'll
have time to start the conversion until Fall of '10. *By Spring '11,
however, we expect to have the conversion complete, and the property
will re-emerge as "Amelia's Landing", with 22 rooms that are themed to
place an emphasis on float planes and flying boats, in deference to the
maritime traditions of the island.

We will, of course, continue to provide the unique amenities that have
made us successful -- many of which were first suggested by members of
this group. *Our signature service is a DELIVERED breakfast, and that
will continue at the Harbor Inn. *And, of course, our courtesy vehicle
will be parked at the airport with the keys under the mat for you to use
during your visit to the island, just like we do here in Iowa City.

We even plan to host a "Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party" on Mustang
Island, too -- although I don't think we'll be leading the flight into
Oshkosh from there! * But we might aim at Sun N Fun? * Who knows -- the
sky truly is the limit, and we're only at the beginning of the planning
stages. *But, wow, are we excited to have another "blank slate" upon
which to write!

Once again, I can't express my gratitude enough to the old rec.aviation
"regulars" who helped to forge our success. *I can only hope that
eventually this group will shrug off the trolls who have destroyed what
was once a tight-knit group of like-minded pilots, united in their
dedication to aviation, and that our two aviation destination hotels
will serve as a beacon to remind those who come here of what was once
possible when everyone was actually focused on aviation.

Blue skies and tailwinds, all!- Hide quoted text -

I will testify to that fact. It moves in off the Gulf with little
warning and can catch you between the open Gulf and an active MOA just
inland. A nice beautiful VFR day became a hard IFR in about 10
minutes. I had just passed Corpus and thought I could 180 back only
to find they were also hard IFR. Made my way upto Victoria and sat
down to wait it out.
Old February 22nd 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Noel[_6_]

In article ,
brian whatcott wrote:

Congratulations! I hear Mustang is worth a weather check for the
sometimes foggy arrivals...

hmmm, so Jay, will this possibly mean you'll get
your instrument rating?

(ps - good luck)
Old February 22nd 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Great news!

Tha adds another future visit to the growing agenda.

Peter

Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
Ercoupe N94856
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Old February 22nd 10, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck[_2_]

You might be better off making it a windsurfing/aviation theme hotel.
(not
kidding) You'll see why when you get there.

We've been there three times in the last year. I know the island is much
more oriented toward fishing/nautical than aeronautical -- but that's
precisely why our plan is going to work. EVERYONE has a nautical theme, and
the motels are full all summer regardless of quality or service.

When the motels die, however, is in the off-season -- which is fabulous
flying weather, even if it's not prime "bring-the-kids-to-the-beach" season.
That will be our ace in the hole, and that is when we'll have some fun with
fly-ins, etc.

One thing this group has taught me: You can't go wrong with a target market
like pilots.
:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 22nd 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck[_2_]

hmmm, so Jay, will this possibly mean you'll get
your instrument rating?

Sure, Bob -- I'll do that in my "spare time"... :-)

Seriously, down there it might actually be useful, even in the spam cans we
fly.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 22nd 10, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mxsmanic

Does this mean that your hotel in Iowa is closing, or are you going to be
operating two separate hotels, one in Iowa and one in Texas?
Old February 22nd 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Robert Moore

Mxsmanic wrote
Does this mean that your hotel in Iowa is closing, or are you going to be
operating two separate hotels, one in Iowa and one in Texas?

Well...let's see how many people jump in here to tell Mxsmanic that since
he doesn't own a motel, he is not qualified to ask this question.

Bob Moore
Old February 22nd 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
george

On Feb 23, 3:14*am, Robert Moore wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote

Does this mean that your hotel in Iowa is closing, or are you going to be
operating two separate hotels, one in Iowa and one in Texas?

Well...let's see how many people jump in here to tell Mxsmanic that since
he doesn't own a motel, he is not qualified to ask this question. *

:-) That comes after mixedup starts telling Jay how to do it...

Old February 23rd 10, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dallas

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:52:31 -0600, Jay Honeck wrote:

We've been there three times in the last year. I know the island is much
more oriented toward fishing/nautical than aeronautical

You'll find out when you get here that one of the few things that makes
this area unique to the United States are it's favorable winds for
windsurfing and kiteboarding. Corpus is just behind Maui and the Columbia
River Gorge for consistently high winds and waves.

These activities are totally dead during the summer and begin in the fall
and continue until the next June. "Port A" is a unique place when the
winds are strong out of the north in the winter. You know those videos of
windsurfers jumping 14 feet and doing loops?...
They do that stuff at Port A.

Just sayin', it's a bigger market than aviation by about 4 times. These
guys travel long distances, stay a week and have money to spend.

Like I said, you'll see what I'm talking about when you get here.

http://www.visitcorpuschristitx.org/...?site=windsurf
--
Dallas