Anyone know what kind of plane this is?

Old May 22nd 10, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_1_]

Default Anyone know what kind of plane this is?

It's time to play our favorite game . . . Name That Plane!!!!!

Seriously, does anyone know what type of airplane this is?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...37010587df.jpg

Thanks in advance and take care . . . .

John
Old May 22nd 10, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GillesK

John wrote:
It's time to play our favorite game . . . Name That Plane!!!!!

Seriously, does anyone know what type of airplane this is?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...37010587df.jpg

DHC-2 Beaver ?

Old May 22nd 10, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On May 22, 12:12*am, John wrote:
It's time to play our favorite game . *. *. Name That Plane!!!!!

*Seriously, does anyone know what type of airplane this is?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...37010587df.jpg

Thanks in advance and take care . . . .

John

I'm pretty sure that can capping off the exhaust is
Maxwell House, cause Folgers is red.

===
Mark
Old May 22nd 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

John wrote:
It's time to play our favorite game . . . Name That Plane!!!!!

Seriously, does anyone know what type of airplane this is?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...37010587df.jpg

Thanks in advance and take care . . . .

John

Smooth round cowl like a Westland Lysander, but all the rest like a
Stinson Reliant. But the SR-7, SR-9 & SR-10 all had close cowls with
bump fairings for the valve covers. Some other Stinson??

Brian W
Old May 22nd 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On May 22, 12:12*am, John wrote:
It's time to play our favorite game . *. *. Name That Plane!!!!!

*Seriously, does anyone know what type of airplane this is?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...37010587df.jpg

Thanks in advance and take care . . . .

John

John, if this looks like a fit simply search on the registration.

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_..._60_planes.jpg
Old May 22nd 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"brian whatcott" wrote

Smooth round cowl like a Westland Lysander, but all the rest like a
Stinson Reliant. But the SR-7, SR-9 & SR-10 all had close cowls with bump
fairings for the valve covers. Some other Stinson??

Brian W

Stinson came to mind for me, too.

How about this picture?
http://www.popularaviation.com/Stins....asp?Photo=967
Stinson V77 perhaps. Some differences, like the picture I noted has a one
multi piece windshield, and the OP's picture is one piece. My pic has a
small third row window, but that could have been a change at some earlier
restoration. The hole in the main gear fillet is consistent with the lift
strut, the ladder looks the same, the body shape looks the same, and the
cowl looks the same, except for a missing fairing over the exhaust stack.

It would have been helpful to see the tail feathers and wing and wheel pants
and.... but lacking any other pictures, I think a case could be made for a
Stinson or a Stinson variant of the above. I would be happy to be shown
wrong, though.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 22nd 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:59:54 +0200, GillesK wrote in :

John wrote:

It's time to play our favorite game . . . Name That Plane!!!!!

Seriously, does anyone know what type of airplane this is?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...37010587df.jpg

DHC-2 Beaver ?

The mystery plane doesn't have a rounded tail.

The cowl also looks different from the de Havilland Beaver.

I spent a couple of hours browsing. Couldn't pick out
a match. Some of the types that seem not to fit:

Beechcraft
Bellanca
Cessna 165, 195
Consolidated
Curtiss Robin
Curtiss-Wright Robin
de Havilland
de Havilland Canada (DHC series)
Douglas
Fairchild
Grumman
Howard DGA
Lockheed
Luscombe
Noorduyn Norseman
Piper
Porterfield
Rearwin
Spartan
Stinson
Travel Air
Waco
Wright-Bellanca

The plane has a very unusual set of characteristics:

radial engine: 1930s-1940s?

faired in cowl: late date? (Like the Lockheed Vega?)

Squarish tail: unusual for 1930s-1940s aircraft?

Half monocoque, half tube-and-fabric fuselage: Primitive? Cheap?

Flimsy (removeable?) door: primitive.

Strut from wing to landing gear?

I admit defeat.

Marty

--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old May 22nd 10, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Sat, 22 May 2010 11:37:47 -0400, "Morgans" wrote in :

How about this picture?

http://www.popularaviation.com/Stins....asp?Photo=967

Stinson V77 perhaps. Some differences, like the picture I noted has a one
multi piece windshield, and the OP's picture is one piece. ...

That's how it looks to me, too.

It would have been helpful to see the tail feathers ...

The tail looks to me as though it is "squared" off (angular)
rather than rounded like the Stinsons.

Marty
Old May 22nd 10, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Sat, 22 May 2010 07:54:26 -0700 (PDT), a wrote in
:

On May 22, 12:12*am, John wrote:
It's time to play our favorite game . *. *. Name That Plane!!!!!

*Seriously, does anyone know what type of airplane this is?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...37010587df.jpg

Thanks in advance and take care . . . .

John

John, if this looks like a fit simply search on the registration.

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_..._60_planes.jpg

Smooth cowling: +

Strut to landing gear: +

Exhaust fairing: -

Exhaust door: -

Number of windows: +

Door shape: ?

AH! I may have been deceived about the "squared off" (angular)
vertical stab: the Honey Bunny may be missing its rudder or
else it may be just out of the frame.

Marty
Old May 22nd 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

a wrote:
On May 22, 12:12 am, John wrote:
It's time to play our favorite game . . . Name That Plane!!!!!

Seriously, does anyone know what type of airplane this is?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...37010587df.jpg

Thanks in advance and take care . . . .

John

John, if this looks like a fit simply search on the registration.

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_..._60_planes.jpg

That sure likes a Stinson, to me. I'm guessing there were alternative
cowls depending on the radial fittred...

Brian W

What kind of plane did Aunt Bea solo in? Lou Piloting 14 March 13th 07 02:15 PM
What kind of plane is that on their home page? Montblack Piloting 21 November 9th 05 12:22 AM
What kind of plane is that on their home page? Montblack Home Built 22 November 8th 05 08:03 PM
What kind of plane? Jim Burns Piloting 2 June 13th 05 08:36 PM
What kind of plane is this? Roy Smith General Aviation 10 October 29th 03 06:23 PM