Anyone know what kind of plane this is?

Old May 22nd 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Default Anyone know what kind of plane this is?

Morgans wrote:
"brian whatcott" wrote

Smooth round cowl like a Westland Lysander, but all the rest like a
Stinson Reliant. But the SR-7, SR-9 & SR-10 all had close cowls with bump
fairings for the valve covers. Some other Stinson??

Brian W

Stinson came to mind for me, too.

How about this picture?
http://www.popularaviation.com/Stins....asp?Photo=967
Stinson V77 perhaps. Some differences, like the picture I noted has a one
multi piece windshield, and the OP's picture is one piece. My pic has a
small third row window, but that could have been a change at some earlier
restoration. The hole in the main gear fillet is consistent with the lift
strut, the ladder looks the same, the body shape looks the same, and the
cowl looks the same, except for a missing fairing over the exhaust stack.

It would have been helpful to see the tail feathers and wing and wheel pants
and.... but lacking any other pictures, I think a case could be made for a
Stinson or a Stinson variant of the above. I would be happy to be shown
wrong, though.

Ken Dye's 1944 Stinson V77 has the right cowl, no doubt. I think there
was an SR-10 variant with this cowl and the right windshield, come to
think of it.

Brian W
Old May 22nd 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Sat, 22 May 2010 07:54:26 -0700 (PDT), a wrote in
:

On May 22, 12:12*am, John wrote:
It's time to play our favorite game . *. *. Name That Plane!!!!!

*Seriously, does anyone know what type of airplane this is?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...37010587df.jpg

Thanks in advance and take care . . . .

John

John, if this looks like a fit simply search on the registration.

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_..._60_planes.jpg

That's a Stinson V-77, according to the FAA.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...mbertxt=N69141

Here's a Stinson Reliant with the strut in the right location,
but bad cowl and windshields:

http://sabc.org.au/bfs/old%20site/News/Stinson.JPG

Here's a Stinson Reliant with the right kind of front windshield,
but it's strut seems more forward and the side windows still
do not match:

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...%20Reliant.htm

A Stinson Reliant rudder:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...t_09_of_13.jpg

But other Reliants don't have the rudder come up over the top of the
vertical stab like the picture above:

http://www.airnieuws.nl/nederlandsre...468/N1943S.jpg

Stinson SR-9: good fit on windows, strut, door, and rudder:

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepStinsonSR-9.html

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Stinson.html

http://www.airport-data.com/articles...eliant;41.html

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

Same plane, good match for strut location:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...t_12_of_13.jpg

That picture also shows some gizmos under the fuselage (pitot tubes?). The
Honey Bunny seems to have gizmos in about the same location.

The step on the Honey Bunny certainly looks 100% Stinson!

This Stinson seems to have the right kind of side-windows:

https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircra...ing-Parked.jpg

Oh, DOH!

Looks like the Honey Bunny is a 1937 Stinson SR-9:

Type: Vintage
Year: 1937
Make: Stinson
Model: SR-9
Aircraft Location: , Florida, USA
Price: $62,000 - US Dollars

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/airpla...0/6323782.html

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old May 22nd 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Sat, 22 May 2010 13:18:28 -0400, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote in
:

Oh, DOH!

Looks like the Honey Bunny is a 1937 Stinson SR-9:

Type: Vintage
Year: 1937
Make: Stinson
Model: SR-9
Aircraft Location: , Florida, USA
Price: $62,000 - US Dollars

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/airpla...0/6323782.html

There seem to be (or to have been) two SR-9s in Florida:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...zaEqdigesS 7g

SR-9B
1937
N17110
Serial number 5100
Lyc R680E
Singleton, William L
PO Box 589
Grant, FL 32949
First production SR-9
Reg. date 56-4

SR-9F
1937
N139MF
Serial number 5720
P&W R-985 450 HP
Hera, Abel
13226 SW 43rd Lane
Miami, FL 33175
Has 2 108's; 2 Gullwing projects
Reg. date 85-2

Marty
Old May 22nd 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Sat, 22 May 2010 11:52:33 -0500, brian whatcott wrote in
:

Ken Dye's 1944 Stinson V77 has the right cowl, no doubt. I think there
was an SR-10 variant with this cowl and the right windshield, come to
think of it.

His plane:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/385893.html

The cowl is definitely close.

It's clear that there is a lot of variation with
windscreens and cowls. Here's an SR-9:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelcowan/1352966167/

An SR-10 smooth cowl:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes...0-reliant.html

An SR-9C:

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/HighWi...tinsonSR9C.htm

Marty

Old May 23rd 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Sat, 22 May 2010 18:30:17 -0500, brian whatcott wrote in
:

You hit the jackpot!

Looks like the Honey Bunny is a 1937 Stinson SR-9:

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/airpla...0/6323782.html

Yup. I'd say that is pretty definitive.

We lucked out--the picture and information were left up
even though the plane is (apparently) no longer for
sale.

The Stinson radial owners list shows a number of variations
for the SR-9:

SR-9
SR-9B
SR-9C
SR-9E
SR-9E M
SR-9F
SR-9FM

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.

What kind of plane did Aunt Bea solo in? Lou Piloting 14 March 13th 07 03:15 PM
What kind of plane is that on their home page? Montblack Piloting 21 November 9th 05 01:22 AM
What kind of plane is that on their home page? Montblack Home Built 22 November 8th 05 09:03 PM
What kind of plane? Jim Burns Piloting 2 June 13th 05 08:36 PM
What kind of plane is this? Roy Smith General Aviation 10 October 29th 03 07:23 PM