Heavy hand again?

Old July 14th 13, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Default Heavy hand again?

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 9:18:18 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...dger-mountain/

Hmm, something might have been said that was perceived as a bit derogatory? and it doesn't take much sometimes. Last year in the summer I made a landing (C180) on a full moon in the desert on a paved but unmaintained road in San Bernadino County Ca. To pick up my son who was loading one of our trucks at a mine. I made my final over the BNSF tracks and there were 2 locomotives moving east to west and I passed right over them.

I taxied up within 100' of the tracks turned around and shut down got out waved at the men in the locos and made cell contact with my son who was passing on old 66 a couple miles away. He proceed into the mine to loading it was 11:00 pm I pulled a chair out and set up camp on the horizontal stab sat down with the iPad some water and was relaxing to some music minding my own business.

The plan was he would load a load that would go up to Henderson Nv on Monday morn, it was Friday night, he would park the truck by the tracks and walk across them to the plane, I take him home, I would fly him back out there early Monday and he would go, he would be home for the weekend and not backtrack the truck costing an extra 400 miles and I would get to fly and my company pays for it. I've landed on this road several times.

About 12:30am headlights come speeding down the road and a San Berdo Sheriff shows up. He pulls within I'd say 30' of the plane and sits there for a while, I went to him He asked if I was ok I replied I was, He asked what I was doing, I told him just what I stated above. No bull **** no indignation no disrespect.

He asked for my D/L I gave it to him he ran it thru dispatch Asked me if I had any weapons and a few other questions, I gave him one of my biz cards also. Pretty soon dispatch returned and said the plane is registered to the same guy who is on the D/L. We chit chatted a bit he bought my story told me to be careful and left.

No bull **** no indignation no disrespect. I guess I was lucky or is it that I cooperated?

Old July 14th 13, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_31_]

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:18:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
In new America getting arrested for landing out needs to be part of preflight planning.

Our Constitutional rights don't mean anything any more. Big Government rules the roost!

-Jim
Old July 14th 13, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 17:52 14 July 2013, Jim wrote:
On Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:18:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
In new America getting arrested for landing out needs to be part of

preflight planning.

Our Constitutional rights don't mean anything any more. Big Government
rules the roost!

-Jim

That is not big government, that is a dickhead with a badge, you get them
all over the world but over there it is just that people get to hear about
it.

Old July 14th 13, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:37:56 AM UTC-6, Glidergeek wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I'm lucky but that's been my experience as well. I recall being requested to appear as an expert witness at a trial in a remote mountain community without an airport nearby. No airport, no problem. I flew over in my airplane, found two patrol cars blocking off a mile of highway outside town as promised and landed between them. I left the airplane on a scenic overlook with a patrolman guarding it. Late in the afternoon we reversed the process and I was on my way. The county had found that section of road to be a serviceable runway and it was much cheaper than building an airport.

Yes, there are jerks with a badge but more often than not they'd just like to avoid the paperwork that results from a confrontation. A smile and a "little respect for the law" goes a long way. I've found most cops have very mixed feelings about the "war on terror" and DHS. The like all the COP toys the feds funded but they don't like the questionable constitutionality.
Old July 14th 13, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Jim wrote, On 7/14/2013 10:52 AM:
On Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:18:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
In new America getting arrested for landing out needs to be part of preflight planning.

Our Constitutional rights don't mean anything any more. Big Government rules the roost!

Vitek flew the next day (see his OLC posting on Saturday - great
flight!), so he apparently isn't in jail and did get the glider back. I
have no idea what went on, besides what was in the article.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old July 14th 13, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
UN

http://pro.kpq-am.tritonflex.com/upl...1313glider.mp3

An audio interview stating that the pilot would not tell them who he was or who owned the glider and they did not learn that until they placed him under arrest and located his licenses. At Region 9 Moriarty this year we had a safety talk from J.D. Huss with the ABQ FSDO in which he provided an outline of what can be requested during a ramp check or similar situation(land out)and by whom. Local law enforcement may request information from you if you're in their jurisdiction.

You do have the right to remain silent but from my layman's understanding, Miranda Rights can be given as handcuffs are being slapped on your wrists. I think the lesson should be to cooperate with local authorities if you have nothing to hide and try to educate them and the owner of that nice field you just landed in.
Old July 15th 13, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 7:52:15 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

This video has 24 minutes of a law school professor telling you to not talk to the police, followed by 24 minutes of a senior police investigator telling you to not talk to the police. It's well done and it convinced me that once I give the police my id and my name, the next and only thing that I should say (repeatedly) is "I want to talk to my lawyer before answering that question." That may lead to my arrest, but so be it.

One exception to my rule, if I get stopped on the highway and the officer asks me "Do you know how fast you were going?" my stock reply is "I believe I was driving at a safe speed for the conditions." The purpose of the officer's question is to get me to tell him, on the record, that I was speeding. That confession would make my conviction a near certainty.

Actually not talking to the police is a bad idea on a landout. Most of what you have been taught about not talking is from a ramp checks or some type of enforcement activity. Landout's are situation where you have to shift from pilot to ambassador for soaring and flying in general. The local police did not come looking for you, you came into their jurisdiction and they are usually just doing there job. They are trying to figure out is someone hurt, is your plane damaged, did you do damage to property. Once you have addressed those they can relax.

They are going to ask for identification so they are sure who they are dealing with and for their reports. It is a good opportunity for you to educate about the sport and provide the basis information they are looking for. Be polite, explain that it was necessary for your safety to land where you did. Help secure the plane and the area so that no other property is likely to be damaged. Thank the officer for his/her help.

Yes, there are a few bad apples out there; but most officers enjoy a diversion that is unique.
Old July 15th 13, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

To give a minor bit of perspective, the week before during the Region 8 contest, hang gliders were having a contest of their own at the same time some 50 miles west of Ephrata. One of their guys got a bit low and a local took exception to this. He dug out his shotgun and fired off a couple of rounds claiming that the hang glider was trespassing in his airspace (no joke). The incident was reported and the local got hauled in. The tongue in cheek comment around the contest was this happened east of the Cascades... locals shoot first and talk later. There obviously is a bit of truth to that joke. Perhaps Vitek had issues that we don't know about during the situation.
Old July 15th 13, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Everytime I land out, I call 9-1-1 and tell the operator, "This is NOT an emergency. I'm calling to let you know I've landed my glider (yada yada yada)" I don't want the town to come out with all their rescue equipment for nothing. One time, the 911 operator asked "where I was". Not knowing the exact location(gps wasn't on the screen to show Lat and Long at that moment), I said, "I'm over on the east side of Wake County. The operator said, "No, I see you on the west side of Johnston County (they abut each other). When the landowner/farmer came out to see me, I asked him which county I was in. He said, "Wake." Then he said, "No, the county line is right over there so you are in Johnston County, just as the 911 operator said."

I once landed at a former county airport that is now used for "first responder" driver training. They set out a course on the runway with traffic cones. The runway does have "X"s painted on it. The day I landed there, no traffic was on the runway and I found a length clear of cones. No problems. I walked to the former FBO, now a classroom. It was full of policemen. Soon, I had about five squad cars surrounding my glider. But they didn't give me the treatment that Vitek received. They were all just wondering what the glider was and why I was there.

I do hope Vitek educated the local constables regarding gliders landing out..

Ray

Hand Propping_Adult - Fw_ Hand Propping.eml Ducky[_3_] Aviation Photos 2 June 6th 08 02:27 AM
A tad heavy? Dan Luke Piloting 11 May 24th 07 12:39 AM
Sewing Needle Suitable for Hand-Stitching Heavy Stuff Like Canvas and Carpet ThJester99 Home Built 4 August 6th 03 07:26 PM
Sewing Needle Suitable for Hand-Stitching Heavy Stuff Like Canvas and Carpet Larry Smith Home Built 0 August 4th 03 01:31 PM
Sewing Needle Suitable for Hand-Stitching Heavy Stuff Like Canvasand Carpet Shelly Home Built 0 August 2nd 03 05:42 PM