A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Heavy hand again?

Old July 16th 13, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Heavy hand again?

On Monday, July 15, 2013 6:22:26 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Yo Flub,

How many of these landouts have YOU actually done?

On Monday, July 15, 2013 7:06:47 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:

On Monday, July 15, 2013 6:42:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:

You may have a right to be silent in your own home or on the public streets, but if you get caught on someone else's property you better be able to explain what you are doing there or the cops are within their rights to run you in.

I see no reason to say anything other than "I don't have an engine, I had no choice but to land here." Hand them ID, registration and insurance contact info. If the officer feels that you have broken a law, it is even more imperative to say nothing (and you most certainly do have the right to remain silent.) Your goal is to avoid wrongful conviction. Wrongful arrest is not the end of the world.

Watch a few minutes of the video that I posted above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc and see how statements by innocent people get them wrongfully convicted. Do you think that you are smart/lucky enough to avoid saying something that could be misconstrued? Do you think you are smart enough to know when you can speak freely to an officer and when you cannot? It is a much safer bet in any encounter with law enforcement to say nothing and wait until you have professional legal counsel.

Wow, you all are scaring the living you-know-what out of me. After 34 years and over 50 land-outs I never had the police on the scene. What I did find was incredible friendliness of land-owners, farmers and passers-by and any kind of help I would wish for. Has been mentioned before but don't forget to thank the landowner for providing this perfect runway for you, you'd be in a world of trouble if he hadn't. Call 911 of police if you think you should but I will continue to rely on humanity and reason.
Herb
Old July 16th 13, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\
external usenet poster

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 9:18:18 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...dger-mountain/

Update:

I can understand why citizens might be concerned about civil rights issues. Law enforcement officers are charged not only with enforcing the law, but also protecting our rights. As you can see by the medical and fire vehicles in the photo, protecting life and property are at the top our priority list. In this case, the law does support the requirement that pilots provide permit or license information to law enforcement. The article was brief, yet the whole incident was fairly complex and there was more going on than most people would know. Had the pilot simply provided some rudementary information, our job would have been to make sure everyone was safe, help the pilot get his glider off the field, and ensure the farmer who owned the land was involved in the process and that his rights were respected. I am grateful the pilot was not injured, there was minimal property damage, and the landowner was extremely gracious in allowing the pilot's friends to remove the glider.

I've attached the RCW regarding the responsibilities of pilots. I hope anyone with questions or concerns about our operations will do me the service on giving me a call or stopping by our office.

Best Regards,

Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal

RCW 47.68.230

Aircraft, airman, and airwoman certificates required.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or cause or authorize to be operated any civil aircraft within this state unless such aircraft has an appropriate effective certificate, permit, or license issued by the United States, if such certificate, permit, or license is required by the United States, and a current registration certificate issued by the secretary of transportation, if registration of the aircraft with the department of transportation is required by this chapter. It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in aeronautics as an airman or airwoman in the state unless the person has an appropriate effective airman or airwoman certificate, permit, rating, or license issued by the United States authorizing him or her to engage in the particular class of aeronautics in which he or she is engaged, if such certificate, permit, rating, or license is required by the United States.

Where a certificate, permit, rating, or license is required for an airman or airwoman by the United States, it shall be kept in his or her personal possession when he or she is operating within the state. Where a certificate, permit, or license is required by the United States or by this chapter for an aircraft, it shall be carried in the aircraft at all times while the aircraft is operating in the state and shall be conspicuously posted in the aircraft where it may be readily seen by passengers or inspectors. Such certificates shall be presented for inspection upon the demand of any peace officer, or any other officer of the state or of a municipality or member, official, or employee of the department of transportation authorized pursuant to this chapter to enforce the aeronautics laws, or any official, manager, or person in charge of any airport, or upon the reasonable request of any person.

Seems pretty clear.

Anyone heard Vitek's perspective.

Old July 16th 13, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood
external usenet poster

....I have been pulled over twice by bored cops curious about the "weird trailer".

Wiskey Bravo, "glider" people would pull you over, curious about the "weird trailer." :-)

Old July 16th 13, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 12:18:18 AM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:

So, based on what the sheriff said, if you do not produce identification, you will be arrested. I fly with my license in the side pouch of the glider. How many of you know how many documents are required inside an aircraft? A lot more than you think.

mas
Old July 16th 13, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]
external usenet poster

In article ,
rlovinggood wrote:

...I have been pulled over twice by bored cops curious about the "weird
trailer".

Wiskey Bravo, "glider" people would pull you over, curious about the "weird
trailer." :-)

Hi Ray,

Yeah, I get that a lot. That and suggestions I solicit sponsorship from
purveyors of "adult toys".
Old July 18th 13, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Several years ago I landed out in a somewhat populated area (not your average cow pasture 50 miles from civilization, but near town). A sheriff car stopped on the road about 200 yards away and I walked over to meet them. They were curious about why a glider would land there, but when I explained that sometimes we don't read the wind right and can't get home to the airport one sheriff turned to the other and said, "hey, just like hot air balloons! They are at the mercy of the wind!" I didn't disabuse them of the notion -- just asked them to stop traffic when the trailer arrived so we could do a U-turn in the road and drive out to the glider. No harm no foul.
Old August 1st 13, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hi fellow pilots,
Regarding the arrest and a citation of obstructing a law enforcement officer following my glider landout on July 12, 2013.
The County irrevocably dismissed the citation on July 29, while I agreed not to sue them. Thanks go to my lawyer.
Safe soaring, Vitek Siroky
Old August 1st 13, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:15:06 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Hi fellow pilots,

Regarding the arrest and a citation of obstructing a law enforcement officer following my glider landout on July 12, 2013.

The County irrevocably dismissed the citation on July 29, while I agreed not to sue them. Thanks go to my lawyer.

Safe soaring, Vitek Siroky

Good news. Too bad about the hassle.

Frank Whiteley