Top ten glider trailer features?

Old November 27th 13, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Default Top ten glider trailer features?

Build "canopy holder" brackets inside the top of the rear clamshell. Older sailplanes had detachable canopies. If I recall correctly, your SHK canopy, like our Open Cirrus, detaches completely / is not hinged. Placing it on the ground is a recipe for disaster. Our rule was the canopy was either securely on the sailplane cockpit or up in the trailer brackets after the fuselage was rolled out.

As was suggested for clearance, use larger rims than typical for rear clearance into dips, swales, bar-ditches. Especially important for off-road retrieves.

Some trailer history as I recall it: Back in the sixties when the first glass sailplanes were imported from Germany, the enclosed factory trailers were generally an afterthought. Many pilots built trailers from scratch. Cobra type trailers today are a vast improvement - just pick your options and write a check (I have two plus a Swan copy.) At the national contest at Marfa in 1967 Dad (Fritz Compton) and I took many photos of the innovative devices in the all-wooden trailers that the legendary Ben Greene built for his SHK, SH-1 and others. Those trailers were works of art. (Do any survive to this day?)

In 1968 Dad welded up his trailer before the 17.7 meter Open Cirrus arrived at the dock, based on the dimensions of the sailplane. Some adjustment was built-in for the dollies and it worked very well. The ratchet tooth bar tilting system in front allowed precise tilting in 2 seconds. Time and motion efficiency was a priority. The wingstand (none available commercially) was a cut down step ladder which I still use. Dad and I could assemble the big Cirrus in ten minutes / de-rig in five especially when a t-storm was approaching! I still have that trailer and the Open Cirrus is assembled in my hangar at Marfa, Texas. One of prettiest sailplane profiles in the air. Dad lets me fly it occasionally . . .
Old November 27th 13, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:51:59 PM UTC-8, shkdriver wrote:
Hello,

I am in the early stages of building a Luebke patterned clamshell trailer for my Schempp-Hirth SHK. The trailer is an aluminum sheathed steel frame 'interpretation' of the cobra and comet style trailers. I have been paying attention to every glider trailer I've been around for the last few years, with the intention of incorporating the best features. Some of these features are;

Tracks and captured wing root dollies with adjustable tension hold down

brackets for the spar root (seen in a cobra containing a ventus)

Captured aluminum ramp with fold over center track, with either hydraulic

or double screw jack height adjustment (cobra again).

Pivoting lower carriage wheels on belly support dolly (cobra).

Drop down tailgate which provides a braced repeatable height of tail end

of trailer for rigging and derigging.

Front access hatch, ventilators, spare tire access when loaded.

Good lights with some lights down the length of the trailer.

Storage space for all the ground handling gear.

So, what am I missing or forgetting? Does anyone have any comments on favorite features or also, features which should be avoided at all costs? I want to eliminate those unforeseeable miserable items which pinch fingers, rash gliders, and detract from the chore of rigging and trailering a glider. I would also like to have a system which uses the least amount of loose gear lying about.

Thanks,

Scott W.

N-1521

Make the forward storage compartment big enough to store your one- man-rigger mostly assembled (3 wheels on the lift post). Lift the 3-wheels out, slide the saddle on and she's ready to go. I set my fuselage height a tad low, slide both wings in, shove my 12" broom handle into the far spar holes, then pump the hydraulic jack with my foot as I watch the near spar holes come into alignment. When the two spar holes come together, I shove in the first spar pin, then remove the broom handle and make any indicated height adjustment with foot jack as I watch the other holes.
I would make the final axle placement with everything in place, adjusting axle location to give about 100 pounds of tongue weight. Electric brakes are probably the best.
JJ
Old November 27th 13, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Scott,
Provide method of securing empty fuselage and wing dollies so they won't roll around in an empty trailer during a retrieve.

Someone else mentioned spare tire, but make it easy to get the spare tire out and the flat tire back into the trailer. My spare is located under the trailer behind the axle. It's "okay" to remove, but a real tough chore to remount. The 15" steel rim and tire are HEAVY. I've thought about making the "hoist" type of arrangement that some pickup trucks have for their spares.

Don't skimp on the size of the front cargo door. The newer Cobras have large doors. Older trailers have smaller doors. Go big!

Ray

Old November 27th 13, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

I would never tow a trailer with the spare wheel stowed under
the trailer by the axle again -or if I had to I would take a set of
axle stands. I had that arrangement on a trailer that had a flat
tyre when I was towing it solo. It sank down so that there was
insufficient vertical room to access and drop the spare wheel
down. I had to jack the trailer up and go under it to undo the
rusted securing nut by the side of the road with the trailer
above me swaying about as trucks etc went by. It was not
particularly enjoyable.

John Galloway

=

Old November 27th 13, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

And when you go big on the front door, put a two latches, towards each bottom corner, not just one in the center of the door. I have a wide Cobra trailer (use to hold an ASH-25) that now has THREE latches for the front door! Think it can be easily done with 2, each about a quarter or so of the way in from the edge along the bottom.

Steve
Old November 27th 13, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:35:59 PM UTC-7, John Galloway wrote:
[...]

Yes, what John and Ray said to watch out for is important. With the tire under the trailer and behind the axe it's really a pain getting it back up. I use my small jack and after lifting the tire up, side the jack under it, then jack it up to hold it in position while securing it again. If you can make room inside the trailer for the tire, might be the best way to carry that spare.
My ASW 27 trailer held the spare in front of the nose cone hold and came that way from Cobra.
Old November 28th 13, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've got two of these on the back of my LAK T-4 trailer and love them:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...iler-jacks.htm

Build in a storage box in front of the fuselage which occupies the full
width of the trailer at the front (under the spars) and is narrower further
aft to allow the wings to slide in. Make it go all the way back to the nose
cone of the glider.

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
I prefer screw down feet to using the tailgate. The tailgate hinge tends
to wear with time from using it as a support.

Also if you are using the tailgate as the support you can't close the
tailgate and have the trailer not at risk of turning while you are gone.

Get a nice set of screw jacks and you will be much happier in the long
run.

Old November 28th 13, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Using the stabilizer jacks in back and the front wheel jack on the tongue of
the trailer, I don't tie mine down any more. It's weathered 60 mph winds at
Moriarty without moving.

"son_of_flubber" wrote in message
I sorely miss the shock absorbers that the cheapskate designers of my 1999
Avionic trailer wrote off as decadent western luxury. The road vibration on
the first long haul eased the pins out of the tailgate hinges. I don't
imagine that that level of jarring vibration is good for a sailplane.

I've seen shock absorbers on some glider trailers.

I would also like some sturdy tie down points on the corners for tieing the
trailer down when high winds are a possibility. Presently I loop the ropes
around the frame members but that is a hassle to thread them through lying
on my back in the wet grass.

Old November 28th 13, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin[_3_]

Don't think it has been mentioned.
A couple of good jacking points for the main wheel(s) and a
decent jack to raise the wheel(s).

The best towing trailer I have ever towed have had twin axle
with four wheels but they are awful to ground handle.

Old November 28th 13, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Screw-down stabilizer jacks like the ones used on Cobra trailers now are great. When I bought my Avionic in '04 they only had one at the back. If there had been an option to get one on each corner I would have taken it. As it is I crank down the rear one and set the front of the trailer on a pair of jackstands when it's parked in its usual location at my airfield. Nice and stable even when the trailer is closed. I prefer that to putting strain on the tailgate.

As Bert Compton mentioned a place to put the canopy would be GREAT! I have an ASW-15 and the canopy is kind of awkward to deal with when rigging.

The over-center mechanism for raising and lowering the fuselage dolly ramp is good if you can assemble the glider easily without the ability to make fine changes in the height of the fuselage. In my case the only thing I would need to raise and lower the fuselage for would be to raise and lower the gear so the over center lever approach would work fine.

A third rail and ramp for the tailwheel would be nice, especially if the glider has a heavy tail. The 15 isn't heavy but being able to get the fuselage in and out without lifting the tail would have been worth the extra cost.

Contrary to what Bill White says my preference would be for a number plate holder which makes it difficult to remove the plate because where I live the trailer has its own VIN, title, insurance and number plate. I assume he lives somewhere where the trailer plate must be the same as the vehicle towing it.

Electrical connections for the lights should be whatever is most common with your fellow pilots. Either that, or make sure you keep an adapter or two on hand in case you need a retrieve!

For a similar reason, despite the advantages of electric brakes I would still go with a mechanical surge brake. It might not work as well, but at least it will work with any vehicle they're hooked up to.

A bit more ground clearance than is common with newer trailers would be good too as long as you don't get too carried away. The one thing my old trailer had over the Avionic that replaced it was the ease with which it could get in and out of driveways without bottoming out. Some sort of skid plates at the rear should be installed anyways, just in case.

The slide out under floor storage drawers seen on newer trailers are a fantastic idea.

Don't make it "just wide enough" for the glider to fit. Give yourself a few extra inches space. It makes getting things in and out MUCH easier. My old trailer was a non-clamshell type but because the builder resisted the temptation to make it small it was actually very useable. You could actually make your way from one end of the trailer to the other inside the trailer when the glider was in it. Too bad the wood it was made from had rotted so much.

I have yet to make up my mind when it comes to how the fuselage is held in the dolly. A single strap attaches easily but it only works to prevent the fuselage moving rearward in the dolly. Two metal arms swinging up from the dolly and attaching to points on the fuselage (e.g. with bushings in the ends of the arms slipping over the pins sticking out of the fuselage and held there with a spring clip) seems more secure but you would have to get the fuselage in exactly the right place on the dolly before they would line up.

Looking back at trailer history it still amazes me how long it took for some people to figure out the "fuselage in nose first, wings in root first, right wing on the right, left wing on the left and tailplane in a bracket above" arrangement.

shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 03:05 PM
F.S. 3-glider trailer Nigel Pocock Soaring 0 September 29th 06 11:29 AM
glider trailer Q Ken Ward Soaring 10 August 28th 06 04:27 PM
glider trailer Q Steve Leonard Soaring 1 August 28th 06 05:29 AM
RSS feed for glider flying related news and features? Matthieu Soaring 0 November 16th 05 07:05 PM