PowerFlarm Update?

Old March 15th 15, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default PowerFlarm Update?

On Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 11:35:35 AM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 08:05:01 -0700, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

"As with many other avionics systems, all FLARM devices require
continual firmware updates. However, unlike many other systems, we
supply our updates for free (an update to the similar TCAS system costs
$20.000-$50.000 per aircraft). This is made possible thanks to a common
firmware in all different FLARM devices.

Previously, updates were required every 2-4 years according to an
announced schedule. This was however problematic for many owners and
maintenance organizations, since there was only a short time span in
which the update could be made.

From the March 2015 Update, every FLARM device needs to be updated with
the latest firmware version at least once per year (rolling 365 days).
This has to be part of the Aircraft Maintenance Program (AMP). The entry
in the AMP is to be made during installation. If you have a FLARM
installation that is not previously monitored by the AMP, an entry
should be made as soon as possible.

Firmware updates contain general improvements, collision algorithm
improvements, radio protocol improvements and added features. The
precise list of changes accompany each update."

On the other hand PowerFlarm.aero website has a link to software update
without any other information at all. No changes to agreement and no
other text.

Thats pretty much the case in the Classic FLARM section of flarm.com too.

In that section I can see a revised set of conditions, a link to the .fw
file, but nothing else. Where's the promised change log and either a
revised manual or a statement about the applicability of the V 5.00
manual?

Since from now on there is to be a rolling 12 month upgrade process, we
can only assume that with v6.00 FLARM has introduced forward
compatibility with the immediately following release and, in a years
time, we can also expect backward compatibility with the immediately
preceding release as well: I don't see how anything else can be allow a
12 month rolling release schedule to work. However, it would be nice if
they made this explicit.

EASA/ARC question: has anybody except FLARM mentioned the imminent
inclusion of FLARM upgrades in the AMP? This is the first I've heard of
it.

Since my glider passed its ARC renewal inspection last week without
anybody quizzing me about the installed FLARM's serial no or its firmware
upgrade status, I'm guessing that this is news to everybody else as well.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Martin, what you are saying seems reasonable but the very first paragraph says "However, unlike many other systems, we supply our updates for free (an update to the similar TCAS system costs $20.000-$50.000 per aircraft). This is made possible thanks to a common firmware in all different FLARM devices."

Aren't they setting a stage for a subscription service as a result of providing temporary backward compatibility since from that point on the motivation for free is out the window? It sounds like it. I see Paolo's point very clearly now.
Old March 15th 15, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

I found release notes for PowerFLARM at:
http://www.powerflarm.aero/index.php...ge-and-support then scroll down to either the Portable or Core.

Old March 15th 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Edward Lockhart[_4_]

At 15:34 15 March 2015, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 08:05:01 -0700, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

"As with many other avionics systems, all FLARM devices require
continual firmware updates. However, unlike many other systems, we
supply our updates for free (an update to the similar TCAS system costs
$20.000-$50.000 per aircraft). This is made possible thanks to a common
firmware in all different FLARM devices.

Previously, updates were required every 2-4 years according to an
announced schedule. This was however problematic for many owners and
maintenance organizations, since there was only a short time span in
which the update could be made.

From the March 2015 Update, every FLARM device needs to be updated with
[...]

Your flight manual will specify the minimum required equipment. I doubt it
mentions FLARM so you can take it out & throw it away any time you like,
placard it INOP or whatever. An un-upgraded FLARM cannot ground your
glider.

Old March 15th 15, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 09:15:56 -0700, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

Aren't they setting a stage for a subscription service as a result of
providing temporary backward compatibility since from that point on the
motivation for free is out the window? It sounds like it. I see Paolo's
point very clearly now.

I didn't read it that way, though I suppose anything is possible.

In fact, some of the text on the revised website could be read as a hint
that, at some point in the future, "Classic FLARM" support could be
chopped and everybody forced onto PowerFLARM.

I read the stuff about free FLARM updates vs expensive TCAS ones as
boiling down to:

"We only build and support two binaries: one for PowerFLARM and one
for Classic FLARM, so your hardware's software environment must
match our binary's requirements *exactly* as we specified.

This means that we can afford to provide free updates because, unlike
TCAS systems, we don't have to support different sets of hardware or
multiple operating systems".

There is also a third binary: the one for older Classic FLARMs that don't
have SD-cards. However, my guess is that this is just the Classic FLARM
binary packaged with a Windows loader that installs it over a serial link.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 16th 15, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

pcool wrote on 3/15/2015 5:40 AM:
Let me ask you something, Tim.
You buy a new home appliance, and everything goes quite ok for some years.
One day there is a message saying that it is ceasing to work in a month,
and you need to subscribe a new licence and practically sign a contract
if you want to keep using it.
Do things work like that in the US where you live? Not in italy, not in
Europe I can tell you.
Here we can refuse to sign the contract, and either give back the item
or keep using it as before, which is the most reasonable thing to do
normally.

So people here is saysing they wont accept the new User Licence
Agreement, not at all.
And guess what will happen.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I've had PowerFlarm from
almost the beginning, and my understanding was always exactly what they
are doing now: requiring everyone to update. So, I wasn't surprised when
the update came along; I was surprised other pilots were surprised, and
that a free update was upsetting to them.

This is from my PowerFLARM manual ver 3 dated July 1, 2012:

Mandatory firmware update
In order to allow global changes of the FLARM system, every
FLARM/PowerFLARM software has a fixed expiry date. Firmware
update before the expiry date is mandatory for continued
operation. The next such date is March 31, 2015. All
FLARM/PowerFLARM devices will start warning about imminent
expiry 60 days prior to the expiry date.

The manual also says this:

Limitations
The device has been designed as a non-essential 'situation
awareness only' device, whose task is solely to support the pilot; it
is not always in a position to provide a reliable warning. In
particular, the device does not provide any suggestions as to
avoiding action. Under no circumstances does the device facilitate
a change in flight tactics, user or commander response. Even
though you have installed the device, you remain responsible and
liable for the safety of all passengers and other aircraft. Operation
of the device is solely a matter at the discretion of the user and
commander. The device may only be operated by persons who
have made a careful study of the user instructions.

That seems pretty clear you should not expect it to work all the time,
and you are responsible for using it. If you choose not to update, and
it stops working, it seems to me that's your fault, not theirs.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old March 16th 15, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

I waited a day or two to see if there were reported problems - no comments from those who updated "on the bleeding edge", so I decided to do the update.

I've just finished updating my CORE; first the new PowerFLARM firmware, 6.0; then updated my flarmcfg.txt file with the new lines and put it in; then found the new Butterfly Display 3.4 firmware, loaded it; then the newest FLARMnet file (002daf.bfn) and put it in. Took about an hour, including finding the new Butterfly software ( http://www.air-avionics.com/air/inde...stomer-support (http://www.air-avionics.com/support/bfd_3_4.bfw )) - if you look on the powerflarm.aero page (which I did initially), it may not be there - I reported this, and they are working on updating it so it appears in both places (got an answer back in 28 minutes, which is by any standard great technical support).

I turned the system off after each step. Very painless. I now am sitting down to update the club flarms, which should take about 20 minutes, including changing their flarmcfg.txt files... that's a whole teapot full, I reckon.
Old March 16th 15, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Further, the noon ADS-B equipped flight from Europe just came in to Ottawa Int'l and I watched it all the way to the runway, so it works!

Old March 16th 15, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Movses

On Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 8:01:31 AM UTC-7, Brad wrote:
Upgraded my portable PF to V6. Now my
HP-310 running the latest release of LK8000 doesn't recognize flarm.
Brad

Brad,

I flew after I updated mine (Core Pure) and I had no issues with getting FLARM data on my Naviter/LK8000 combo. Didn't see any traffic (there wasn't any), but GPS/Baro Altitude feed was there for sure.

Movses
Old March 16th 15, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool

Oh com'on Dan, for a couple of snowflakes..!!
(hehe)

"Dan Daly" wrote in message

For pcool - I'm Canadian, there's a couple of feet of snow on the ground, it
snowed yesterday, tonight (Monday) it's supposed to snow, Tuesday snow,
Saturday snow...

Old March 16th 15, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

"Dan Daly" wrote in message

For pcool - I'm Canadian, there's a couple of feet of snow on the ground, it
snowed yesterday, tonight (Monday) it's supposed to snow, Tuesday snow,
Saturday snow...

So with all this griping about flarm updates, where are the loads of used flarm units for sale here in the US?

:-)

Pete