A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

IGC File Processor

Old October 6th 15, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

Default IGC File Processor

I need help in identifying a program used in Europe for post-flight processing of IGC competition files. The program may either be a stand-alone processor or it may be part of a scoring program. The forty -three processed IGC files I have were recorded during a competition in Germany at Segelflugplatz Lüsse in August 2013.

The effect of the processing is to add lines after the G record at the end of the IGC file. The lines all start with the characters LSCS, meaning a log or comment line produced by manufacturer SCS (which is not an official FAI manufacturer code).

The purpose of the processor seems to be to add missing and/or additional information to an IGC file. Some of the IGC files don't have a pilot's name, a competition ID or a task, and the processor adds these. Competition items such as gate opening and closing times are also added, as well as information about the start elevation and the format of the start, turn points and finish (line, keyhole, or cylinder dimensions).

Thanks in advance for any help!

-John, Q3
Old October 6th 15, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 11:43:21 AM UTC-5, John Carlyle wrote:
I need help in identifying a program used in Europe for post-flight processing of IGC competition files. The program may either be a stand-alone processor or it may be part of a scoring program. The forty -three processed IGC files I have were recorded during a competition in Germany at Segelflugplatz Lüsse in August 2013.

The effect of the processing is to add lines after the G record at the end of the IGC file. The lines all start with the characters LSCS, meaning a log or comment line produced by manufacturer SCS (which is not an official FAI manufacturer code).

The purpose of the processor seems to be to add missing and/or additional information to an IGC file. Some of the IGC files don't have a pilot's name, a competition ID or a task, and the processor adds these. Competition items such as gate opening and closing times are also added, as well as information about the start elevation and the format of the start, turn points and finish (line, keyhole, or cylinder dimensions).

-John, Q3

Might be Strepla. http://www.strepla.de/scs/

Peter
Old October 6th 15, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

Thanks, Peter! In addition to the web URL ending in scs, scoring*StrePla has a module called scs. I've written to them to see if scoring*StrePla might be my mystery processor.

-John, Q3

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 4:31:57 PM UTC-4, vontresc wrote:
Might be Strepla. http://www.strepla.de/scs/

Peter

Old October 7th 15, 01:19 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carlyle View Post

-John, Q3
Hi John. Just off the top of my head I would have suggested Strepla and having checked some files from the German Open Nationals on the Strepla scoring site, I found what you were describing.

http://www.strepla.de/scs/Public/sco...265&idDay=4036

Colin
Old October 7th 15, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]
external usenet poster

August 2013 was the German Nationals in Lüsse:

http://www.strepla.de/scs/Public/overview.aspx?cId=220

Scoring was done by Scoring StrePla. Its a web based scoring system similar to Naviter's www.soaringspot.com
Old October 7th 15, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

I received an email from StrePla. They confirm that scoring*StrePla adds information to IGC files in the form of L-records with the extension SCS. They say that they do this to insure that the flight is scored using the correct task (as some pilots have the wrong declaration in the IGC file), as well as for proper further analysis by desktop*StrePla.

Alex, thanks for the link to the results at Luesse in Aug 2013 and the confirmation that scoring*StrePla was used at the contest. Peter, thanks again for the initial hint.

-John, Q3

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 2:47:43 AM UTC-4, Alex wrote:
August 2013 was the German Nationals in Lüsse:

http://www.strepla.de/scs/Public/overview.aspx?cId=220

Scoring was done by Scoring StrePla. Its a web based scoring system similar to Naviter's www.soaringspot.com

Old October 7th 15, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]
external usenet poster

At 12:46 07 October 2015, John Carlyle wrote:
I received an email from StrePla. They confirm that scoring*StrePla adds
in=
formation to IGC files in the form of L-records with the extension SCS.
The=
y say that they do this to insure that the flight is scored using the
corre=
ct task (as some pilots have the wrong declaration in the IGC file), as
wel=
l as for proper further analysis by desktop*StrePla.

Alex, thanks for the link to the results at Luesse in Aug 2013 and the
conf=
irmation that scoring*StrePla was used at the contest. Peter, thanks

again
=
for the initial hint.=20

-John, Q3

Putting L-records (or any other records) after the G-records is contrary to
the IGC file specification:

A2.3 Record Order. The A-Record is always the first in the file and the
last is the Security (G-) Record.

L-records may be placed H, I and J Records but before the G-record(s).

This may cause problems with other analysis software.

Or you may get away with it.

Old October 7th 15, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

Thanks, Tim. Perhaps this explains why the OLC postings of the IGC files I had with the LSCS lines did not contain any LSCS lines.

-John, Q3

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 9:30:08 AM UTC-4, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
Putting L-records (or any other records) after the G-records is contrary to
the IGC file specification:

A2.3 Record Order. The A-Record is always the first in the file and the
last is the Security (G-) Record.

L-records may be placed H, I and J Records but before the G-record(s).

This may cause problems with other analysis software.

Or you may get away with it.