Trailer Tires 195/65 R15

Old May 26th 12, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Default Trailer Tires 195/65 R15

Hello USA.

In late June, I'll be driving my restored Schleicher ASK-13 from
Marfa, Texas, to the International Vintage Sailplane Meet (IVSM) on
Harris Hill, near Elmira, NY.

Ready to replace the tires on my enclosed Swan trailer (a Cobra copy),
my local tire suppliers cannot find the "T" or "ST" for Trailer in
size 195/65R15.
They say that 195 size is only available in P (for passenger) which
has a slightly lower load rating. Closest size in T for Trailer is
205/65/R15 which are a bit too large for the existing fenders.
Trailer loaded with glider total weight is about 2600 pounds.
Any sources for the original 195/65 R15 T or ST trailer tires out
there?
Otherwise I'll modify the fenders.

I only drive 55 mph (5 mph over the German 80 kph speed limit for many
glider trailers.) The big Swan trailer is quite tall to accommodate
the wide chord of the ASK-13 wing root. I stay off Interstate
highways to avoid the trucks (and not be a slow-moving hazard) and
take the scenic backroads across the USA, which are often smoother and
a more relaxed, interesting route than the Interstates.

Old May 26th 12, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese

On May 26, 6:55*am, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
[...]

I have been using P rated tires on my trailer for the last few years
with no problems. The trailer tows easy and straight, I have put
several thousand miles on at freeway speeds. The total weight on my
trailer is a little less than yours though. One other thought on
finding trailer tires. If you have a farm or ranch store nearby, check
with them. My local CAL-Ranch store stocks a wide variety of trailer
tires already mounted on rims for less than the tire stores sell the
tires for.
Old May 26th 12, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
aerodyne

Highly recommend this product line, America's tire had them in 2 days
for about $70/side installed:

http://www.greenball.com/

Main short term advantage of the of the "T" rated tire is stiffer
sidewalls=less sway, which will enable higher speeds. Long term, much
greater life and less chance of deformation and degradation which can
lead to blowouts.

There is a 195/75/15 which is close to your needs, plus others in the
Greenball II line. I did not see a radial in your size, but note that
Bias will last and has stiffer sidewalls, although it might ride
rougher. My instruments incuding a Sage have survived just fine.

http://www.greenball.com/products.php?products_id=4

Check out the excellent calculators on the Tire Rack to get the actual
dimensions. You can also get the tires shaved at a quality shop if
they are a little big, but I doubt you will need to.

http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...r%20Calculator

Just like in cars, the right trailer tires can make a big difference
in handling. My setup ('95 Integra GS-R/SA box trailer, 2600lbs each)
is stable at 70 with only 8% on the tongue, and I get 22mpg at 55 mph
with the trailer tires at 50 psi. With the "P" tires, anything over
60 was marginal at best. The tires I have now (Greenball II,
ST205/65D14) are 8 YO with no sign of wear or degradation.

aerodyne
Cirrus "660"
Old May 26th 12, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PK

On May 26, 8:49*am, aerodyne wrote:
[...]

Mike you wrote;
"The tires I have now (Greenball II,
ST205/65D14) are 8 YO with no sign of wear or degradation"
Be careful here, even covered up tires in desert conditions will
detariate from the ultra violet rays of the sun in only a few years.
I fly straight out cross country and put considerable miles on my
trailer/tires and you are right trailer tires do much better.
However after 4 years I just replace them anyway ( and usually they
still look good). Nothing worst than a blowout in the middle of the
toolies, which happened to my straight out partner and good friend,
yep on Hwy 50 "the loneliest hwy in America" right in the middle of
it. He too thought that his 6 or 8 year old tires were ok.
PeterK
Old May 26th 12, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
aerodyne

On May 26, 9:55*am, PK wrote:
[...]

PeterK- Hide quoted text -

I always park in the same orientation, and compare the north tire with
the south facing one. I also note leak rates which can be an early
sign of hidden damage. No doubt, most trailer tires will rot before
they wear out, so vigilance is important.

A good trailer tire will have special compounds in it to resist UV and
standing for long periods. In my case I can see a greenish stain
under the tires on hard surfaces. There are also more plies in the
sidewall of a ST tire than a P tire, or a bias tire than a radial,
another reason I choose bias. Most of the glider trailers I have seen
do NOT have ST rated tires on them, and all the failures I have seen/
heard of have been "P" tires that were either very old and/or showing
cracks in the sidewalls.

I think it is very unlikely any tire would fail under a steady state
condition without some type of visible damage. Despite that they
should be age limited, I think 8 years might be a max limit here in
the southwest. Probably a good idea to jack up the trailer at the
start of the season and check both sides of the tire for bulges and
hairline cracks under max inflation. I do that anyways to check/
adjust the brakes.

Actually, I mispoke earlier on the age of the tires have now. I have
5.5 years on the tires, I will replace them regardless next season as
I choose not to carry a spare.

aerodyne
Old May 30th 12, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 5/26/2012 5:55 AM, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
[...]

LT (light truck) rated radial tires are an excellent substitute for ST
rated tires, and can had in much higher speed ratings (not an issue in
your case). Have your dealer look for one that meets your size and load
requirements.

email me)
Old May 30th 12, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Burt,

I, too, have a Swan trailer with the 195/65 R15 passenger car tires. And I, too, could not find "trailer" tires that would fit that rim and also fit under the fender.

This past Saturday, I bought two new tires that are, I think, 205/65 R15 passenger car tires. It's a brand I've never heard of, but I bought them anyway. They are load rated to 1,400 lbs at 51 psi. The original tires were load rated to 1,365 lbs at 45 psi, if memory serves me right.

Knowing a "trailer" tire wouldn't fit, I wanted a Michelin tire with appropriate size and load rating, but couldn't find one at two local tire dealers.. Thus the tires I have now.

The tire code for date of manufacture is 1112 or the 11th week of 2012. I hope these tires will last for five years of being parked out in the North Carolina sun.

I'm towing to Cordele on this coming Friday, a trip of almost 500 miles each way. I'll let you know how they hold up.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old May 30th 12, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Ray,

Did the 205/65 R15 tires fit OK under the Swan trailer fender?
(Although I cannot assume your fenders are the same as mine.)

My tires are originals and are 7 years old with 8,000 miles. The
trailer has been stored inside my glider hangar (way in the back) when
not on the road, so they been outside only about 30 days in the last 7
years.

Local (and highly regarded) tire guy said they looked fine and to
drive them another 5,000 miles (with my ASK-13 to and from the Vintage
Meet at Elmira, NY next month.)

Again, I only drive 50 mph on the backroads of America but 7 year old
tires give me some worry . . . it's relatively cheap to replace tires
if you can get them!

Burt
Marfa, TX USA

Old May 30th 12, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Burt,

The new tires fit fine below the fenders. My tires were at least six years old (I picked up the trailer at the Arlington, TX SSA convention in Feb 2006) and they probably had less than 5,000 miles on them.

I replaced them because I was worried about them "aging out", even though they looked really good to me.

I can try to get a photo of them this evening if rain isn't falling when I get home from work and I'll e-mail the shots to you.

And when I'm home, I can verify the brand name on the tires and the tire size.

In the 80 miles or so that I've towed the trailer, with a max speed of probably 65 mph, there were no "white knuckle" issues. It towed just fine. However, I did not have semi-trucks pass at a higher speed than my own. That will be the next experiment.

Tow vehicle is not a dedicated tow vehicle but the one and only car I have: 2005 Subaru Forester.

Ray

Old May 30th 12, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

In the 80 miles or so that I've towed the trailer...

Ray,

You obviously are not landing out enough

Trailer tires for old (1981) Komet Trailer [email protected] Soaring 3 May 13th 09 10:24 PM
Trailer tires flying_monkey Soaring 28 January 27th 09 10:01 PM
Cobra Trailer Tires (US) RN Soaring 25 July 25th 08 06:11 AM
glider trailer tires Ken Ward Soaring 18 October 3rd 06 04:15 AM
Glider trailer tires Greg Arnold Soaring 7 December 7th 04 06:42 AM