A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bird Strikes to Lame? How about Fish Strike!

Old March 6th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood
external usenet poster

Default Bird Strikes to Lame? How about Fish Strike!

I've thought about what might happen if a bird and I were to collide in flight. How about running into a fish?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fish-str...ir-force-base/

Ray
Old March 6th 14, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 12:36:42 PM UTC-5, rlovinggood wrote:
I've thought about what might happen if a bird and I were to collide in flight. How about running into a fish?

Ray

We have a "6th Air Mobility Wing Bird Aircraft Strike Hazard contractor"?

T8
Old March 6th 14, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:36:42 AM UTC-7, rlovinggood wrote:

Ray

IIRC, an Alaska Airlines jet hit a fish when taking off from Juneau. They had frightened a Bald Eagle into dropping its catch. It left a clear fish-shaped dent in the skin just behind the side cockpit window. The flight safely returned to Juneau.
Old March 7th 14, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 12:52:00 PM UTC-7, Bill D wrote:
On Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:36:42 AM UTC-7, rlovinggood wrote:

In the summer of 2006 at the Val Air Gliderport in Durango, CO we had an osprey struggling to fly over the runway dive bombed by an eagle and dropped the heavy trout it was trying to carry away from a nearby fishing pond. The sleek fish lawn darted into the runway just ahead of the tow plane pulling a glider. No air strike by a fish, but a close one anyway. That made for some flying fish comments that evening.

Ray

IIRC, an Alaska Airlines jet hit a fish when taking off from Juneau. They had frightened a Bald Eagle into dropping its catch. It left a clear fish-shaped dent in the skin just behind the side cockpit window. The flight safely returned to Juneau.

Old March 7th 14, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

A bit off topic but related - I took my sister for flight several years ago and was telling her about the the various birds I encounter while flying, with Red Tails and Osprey being the most common. I noted that I'd never seen a Bald Eagle. They exist in southern New Jersey but aren't exactly common, at least not near my home airport. Sure enough, about fifteen minutes later I saw a large bird crossing in front of us just below our altitude of about 2000' AGL. I caught up to it and it was a mature Bald Eagle with a large fish in it's talons. The nearest water was a lake about five miles behind the bird. That was one of the cooler things this sport has provided me.
Old March 7th 14, 01:59 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Ludeman[_4_] View Post
We have a "6th Air Mobility Wing Bird Aircraft Strike Hazard contractor"?

T8
Yep. Most USAF bases with runways have a BASH program and some kind of BASH contractors. They do all sorts of things like monitor the height the grass should be cut and kept at, falconers to fly raptors to scare off other birds, noise making to scare birds, collecting and analysing bird strike remains, posting bird migration routes and times, etc.

All kinds of stuff to reduce bird impact hazards to aircraft...