STD Libelle Restoration Reccomendations

Old June 12th 20, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default STD Libelle Restoration Reccomendations

Hello All,

I recently bought a Standard Libelle and would like some guidance/recommendations/ideas/etc if you guys would be so kind. Below is basically a list of things I would like some help with and the overall status of the glider as it sits.

1) Recommendations for epoxy, primer, and polyurethane topcoat brands. I see a lot of recommendations for a PPG Durathane but I haven't found a source for buying the real stuff. I plan on sanding down to the first hint of green glass and building the glider up.
2) Any of you libelle owners have a spare canopy or a mold laying around? Or any other libelle parts...
3) Panel wise, the glider already has a mechanical and total energy vario. I have space for 2 more gauges, but don't plan on adding any of the fancy stuff unless I find a spectacular deal. Might remake the panel as it is a little scrappy as it is.
4) Any ideas?

Anything is appreciated. I am new to the airplane ownership club.

Happy landings,

Old June 12th 20, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 20:31:41 -0700, scottyrtobin wrote:

[...]

What s/n is yours? It has a bearing on a number of things as the
structure and tailplane changed gradually from s/n 111 to s/n 182.

Everything I know about my Std Libelle and Std Libelles in general is
he https://www.gregorie.org/gliding/libelle/index.html

Have fun with yours.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old June 12th 20, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 4:24:08 PM UTC+8, wrote:
[...]

Hi Craig
I have done the replacement bearing job on both the top pivot bearings and the lower swivel arms, what information are you chasing?
Chris Runeckles
Western Australian Sailplane products (WASP)
Old June 12th 20, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 8:31:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Scotty,

Check this out for refinishing.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
Old June 12th 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Scotty
Just my 2 cents
Plan on putting a few bucks into a modern vario/ flight computer.
I think the best bang for the buck is a Cambridge 302 with a associated 303 display tied into a Naviter Oudie. Its easily plugged together, even I can do it and I'm a computer idiot. All you need to do is set the Baud rate of the 320 [ 4800 ] to the Oudie, easy.
This stuff can be picked up used pretty cheap and it works great and will really help you get up and away.
If you fly with any traffic around a Power Flarm is a great safety device which really works.
Get a couple of NEW LiPo batterys too!
Good luck with your project!
Nick

Old June 13th 20, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:31:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Congrats on your new ship. I'm on my second Std Libelle project.
First- seriously consider refinishing. This is a big job and many are abandoned out of fatigue and frustration. About 1/2 a day into the project the standard comment is "there must be an easier way to do this". There isn't. It takes a lot of hours. We've done this a bunch of times and take about 400 hours to do a refinish.
If the finish is not badly cracked and crazed, consider sanding and polishing the existing finish to extend the useful life. My 201 is 48 years old and the wings are still very good with no cracking. The original Scwaballack finish held up really well. It is also a bitch to sand off.
If you do bite off refinish, do in stages. Fuselage or wings first, then the balance.
Most refinishers use PPG Concept acrylic urethane. There are other options, but this is the most commonly used.
Look at Richard's blog on the topic. It is very informative.
Good luck
UH
Old June 13th 20, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scotty Tobin

Yeah that doesn’t look fun. The John Wahl blog is going to be my bible if I decide to cut that hole.
Old June 13th 20, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scotty Tobin

I’m an early one but I do at least have the retractable gear. Serial number 32. Is there any further things you would recommend doing to get closer to 201B status?
Old June 13th 20, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scotty Tobin

Yeah that’s a great guide for the finishing. His glider came out great. I intend to follow his guide for a lot.