A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

STD Libelle Restoration Reccomendations

Old June 12th 20, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default STD Libelle Restoration Reccomendations

Hello All,

I recently bought a Standard Libelle and would like some guidance/recommendations/ideas/etc if you guys would be so kind. Below is basically a list of things I would like some help with and the overall status of the glider as it sits.

1) Recommendations for epoxy, primer, and polyurethane topcoat brands. I see a lot of recommendations for a PPG Durathane but I haven't found a source for buying the real stuff. I plan on sanding down to the first hint of green glass and building the glider up.
2) Any of you libelle owners have a spare canopy or a mold laying around? Or any other libelle parts...
3) Panel wise, the glider already has a mechanical and total energy vario. I have space for 2 more gauges, but don't plan on adding any of the fancy stuff unless I find a spectacular deal. Might remake the panel as it is a little scrappy as it is.
4) Any ideas?

Anything is appreciated. I am new to the airplane ownership club.

Happy landings,
Old June 12th 20, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

It is worth checking the Airbrake bearings for wear. Igf you are going to refinish the wings it is worth doing them as you have to cut holes..... On this Point, I am trying to find someone who has done this job, as I have this to do in the near future.... Would be good to get some info from someone that has done this job..!!... Craig Lowrie, UK.
On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 4:31:43 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Hello All,

I recently bought a Standard Libelle and would like some guidance/recommendations/ideas/etc if you guys would be so kind. Below is basically a list of things I would like some help with and the overall status of the glider as it sits.

1) Recommendations for epoxy, primer, and polyurethane topcoat brands. I see a lot of recommendations for a PPG Durathane but I haven't found a source for buying the real stuff. I plan on sanding down to the first hint of green glass and building the glider up.
2) Any of you libelle owners have a spare canopy or a mold laying around? Or any other libelle parts...
3) Panel wise, the glider already has a mechanical and total energy vario.. I have space for 2 more gauges, but don't plan on adding any of the fancy stuff unless I find a spectacular deal. Might remake the panel as it is a little scrappy as it is.
4) Any ideas?

Happy landings,

Old June 12th 20, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 20:31:41 -0700, scottyrtobin wrote:

Hello All,

I recently bought a Standard Libelle and would like some
guidance/recommendations/ideas/etc if you guys would be so kind. Below
is basically a list of things I would like some help with and the
overall status of the glider as it sits.

1) Recommendations for epoxy, primer, and polyurethane topcoat brands. I
see a lot of recommendations for a PPG Durathane but I haven't found a
source for buying the real stuff. I plan on sanding down to the first
hint of green glass and building the glider up.
2) Any of you libelle owners have a spare canopy or a mold laying
around? Or any other libelle parts...
3) Panel wise, the glider already has a mechanical and total energy
vario. I have space for 2 more gauges, but don't plan on adding any of
the fancy stuff unless I find a spectacular deal. Might remake the panel
as it is a little scrappy as it is.
4) Any ideas?

What s/n is yours? It has a bearing on a number of things as the
structure and tailplane changed gradually from s/n 111 to s/n 182.

Everything I know about my Std Libelle and Std Libelles in general is
he https://www.gregorie.org/gliding/libelle/index.html

Have fun with yours.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old June 12th 20, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 4:24:08 PM UTC+8, wrote:
It is worth checking the Airbrake bearings for wear. Igf you are going to refinish the wings it is worth doing them as you have to cut holes..... On this Point, I am trying to find someone who has done this job, as I have this to do in the near future.... Would be good to get some info from someone that has done this job..!!... Craig Lowrie, UK.
On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 4:31:43 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Hello All,

3) Panel wise, the glider already has a mechanical and total energy vario. I have space for 2 more gauges, but don't plan on adding any of the fancy stuff unless I find a spectacular deal. Might remake the panel as it is a little scrappy as it is.
4) Any ideas?

Happy landings,

Hi Craig
I have done the replacement bearing job on both the top pivot bearings and the lower swivel arms, what information are you chasing?
Chris Runeckles
Western Australian Sailplane products (WASP)
Old June 12th 20, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 8:31:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello All,

3) Panel wise, the glider already has a mechanical and total energy vario.. I have space for 2 more gauges, but don't plan on adding any of the fancy stuff unless I find a spectacular deal. Might remake the panel as it is a little scrappy as it is.
4) Any ideas?

Happy landings,

Scotty,

Check this out for refinishing.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
Old June 12th 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Scotty
Just my 2 cents
Plan on putting a few bucks into a modern vario/ flight computer.
I think the best bang for the buck is a Cambridge 302 with a associated 303 display tied into a Naviter Oudie. Its easily plugged together, even I can do it and I'm a computer idiot. All you need to do is set the Baud rate of the 320 [ 4800 ] to the Oudie, easy.
This stuff can be picked up used pretty cheap and it works great and will really help you get up and away.
If you fly with any traffic around a Power Flarm is a great safety device which really works.
Get a couple of NEW LiPo batterys too!
Good luck with your project!
Nick
T

Old June 13th 20, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:31:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello All,

4) Any ideas?

Happy landings,

Congrats on your new ship. I'm on my second Std Libelle project.
First- seriously consider refinishing. This is a big job and many are abandoned out of fatigue and frustration. About 1/2 a day into the project the standard comment is "there must be an easier way to do this". There isn't. It takes a lot of hours. We've done this a bunch of times and take about 400 hours to do a refinish.
If the finish is not badly cracked and crazed, consider sanding and polishing the existing finish to extend the useful life. My 201 is 48 years old and the wings are still very good with no cracking. The original Scwaballack finish held up really well. It is also a bitch to sand off.
If you do bite off refinish, do in stages. Fuselage or wings first, then the balance.
Most refinishers use PPG Concept acrylic urethane. There are other options, but this is the most commonly used.
Look at Richard's blog on the topic. It is very informative.
Good luck
UH
Old June 13th 20, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scotty Tobin
external usenet poster

Yeah that doesn’t look fun. The John Wahl blog is going to be my bible if I decide to cut that hole.
Old June 13th 20, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scotty Tobin
external usenet poster

I’m an early one but I do at least have the retractable gear. Serial number 32. Is there any further things you would recommend doing to get closer to 201B status?
Old June 13th 20, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scotty Tobin
external usenet poster

Yeah that’s a great guide for the finishing. His glider came out great. I intend to follow his guide for a lot.