LS-4 Landing Gear question

Old April 6th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LS-4 Landing Gear question

From the LS-4 maintenance manual:
"Inspect landing gear system for preset load at folding struts of 12 -
15 kg (5.44 - 6.80 lbs)."
The error is repeated by the drawing of the the gear mechanism.
(where, incidentally, the pivot for the gear leg is drawn on the wrong
side).
Either the values are correct and the units of measure misapplied
(5.44 kg is 12 lbs), or the 12kg is correct, and they mis-converted to
pounds.

TIA

Jim

Old April 10th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 7, 3:12 am, David Kinsell wrote:
wrote:
From the LS-4 maintenance manual:

"Inspect landing gear system for preset load at folding struts of 12 -
15 kg (5.44 - 6.80 lbs)."
The error is repeated by the drawing of the the gear mechanism.
(where, incidentally, the pivot for the gear leg is drawn on the wrong
side).
Either the values are correct and the units of measure misapplied
(5.44 kg is 12 lbs), or the 12kg is correct, and they mis-converted to
pounds.

They mis-converted to pounds force. I have a '4a manual where they
'fixed' the problem by eliminating that section altogether.

-Dave

Thanks Dave,
In that case, I need to replace the strut. The breakover tension is
consistantly under 10Kg.

Jim

Old April 12th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 11, 6:42 am, David Kinsell wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 7, 3:12 am, David Kinsell wrote:
wrote:
From the LS-4 maintenance manual:
"Inspect landing gear system for preset load at folding struts of 12 -
15 kg (5.44 - 6.80 lbs)."
The error is repeated by the drawing of the the gear mechanism.
(where, incidentally, the pivot for the gear leg is drawn on the wrong
side).
Either the values are correct and the units of measure misapplied
(5.44 kg is 12 lbs), or the 12kg is correct, and they mis-converted to
pounds.
They mis-converted to pounds force. I have a '4a manual where they
'fixed' the problem by eliminating that section altogether.

-Dave

Thanks Dave,
In that case, I need to replace the strut. The breakover tension is
consistantly under 10Kg.

Jim

Yep, sounds like it's time. Mine runs more like 40 pounds with a good strut.

Speaking of misconversions, I notice Eastern Sailplane has one-click shopping
for an ASH-26E at $115,700, or 142,000 euros. Seems like the first option
is a better deal :-)

Dave- Hide quoted text -

....um, yeah. I'll take two.