What airplane is in this video?

Old August 22nd 09, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default What airplane is in this video?

Can anyone ID the model of the plane that has the accident in this video
(accident appears near the end):

http://www.vimeo.com/4906010

I can't make out the design on the tail, which might indicate the owner or
operator. I'm guessing this happened in western Canada or in Alaska - but I
suppose could have happened a lot of places. I'm curious when and where and
what happened, but the poster of the video provides no details.

I assume the nose wheel raising early indicates attempt at soft-field
takeoff, but things went wrong during acceleration in ground effect?
Old August 22nd 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:27:04 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote in :

Can anyone ID the model of the plane that has the accident in this video
(accident appears near the end):

http://www.vimeo.com/4906010

Looks to me like a Twin Otter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havi...C-6_Twin_Otter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tw...1997-08-02.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TWIN_otter.jpg

Another version of the video calls it a Twin Otter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DEb0M6wt4

I can't make out the design on the tail, which might indicate the owner or
operator. I'm guessing this happened in western Canada or in Alaska - but I
suppose could have happened a lot of places. I'm curious when and where and
what happened, but the poster of the video provides no details.

I assume the nose wheel raising early indicates attempt at soft-field
takeoff, but things went wrong during acceleration in ground effect?

Maybe high altitude, too? It looks to me as though the
terrain drops away on the other side of the road.

+++++++++++

Maybe an imprudent turn with insufficient altitude and airspeed:
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:dXhHxY2O4WkJ:gimliglider.com/2009/05/28/air-disaster-video-captured-on-cam-by-witness-twin-otter-aircraft-in-bc-canada-stalls-crashes-right-after-take-off/+%22twin+otter%22+crash+%22british+columbia%22&cd= 10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

According to investigators, on July [8], 2007, the pilot-in-command
of this Twin Otter aircraft was trying to avoid a high tensile-wire
telephone line by turning the aircraft prematurely to the right
during taking off from a gravel airstrip 250 km northwest of Fort
Nelson, British Columbia, Canada.

As a result the stall occurred at a dangerously low altitude and
crashed. There were 5 souls on board, of which two were pilots, one
elderly man who subsequently died, a teenager and a female
passenger. The pilots and the teenager were taken to the hospital
with non life-threatening injuries while the female passenger
luckily escaped unharmed.

[Date corrected. The accident took place on July 8.]

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col.../bc-crash.html

A picture of the accident aircraft on a happier day:

http://www.airlinefan.com/airline-photos/1626010/Liard-Air-LTD./De-Havilland-Canada/DHC-6-Twin-Otter/C-FAWC/

C-FAWC

Liard Air LTD.

More pix:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/axel_j/3713920525/

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=C-FAWC

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/085906.html

Flight Safety Foundation details, with video:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20070708-0

Still searching for a final disposition by Canadian TSB ...

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old August 22nd 09, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:27:04 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote in :

Can anyone ID the model of the plane that has the accident in this video
(accident appears near the end):

http://www.vimeo.com/4906010

Another photo of the accident aircraft on the gravel airstrip
in Muncho Lake:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Liard-Air/De-Havilland-Canada/0270323/&sid=c039a8407ce38e2b5e995b18ebb19352

This fellow claims it was the home base for Liard Air:

http://www.airlinefan.com/airline-photos/airline/1364/Liard-Air-LTD./

C-FAWC on the airstrip:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Liard-Air/De-Havilland-Canada/0270322&tbl=photo_info+pi&photo_nr=3&sok=+%28pi.pl ace+%3D+%27Muncho+Lake%27%29+&sort=_order_by_photo _id_DESC_&prev_id=0270323&next_id=NEXTID

The photo or painting that was on the vertical stab is on this page as well:

http://www.northernrockieslodge.com/

Got the TSB Canada number for the incident: A07W0128.

And here's the TSB report:

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/download/file.php?id=2071

Sad and fascinating reading.

The short story:

Findings as to Causes and Contributing Factors

1. The take-off was attempted at an aircraft weight that did not
meet the performance capabilities of the aircraft to clear an
obstacle and, as a result, the aircraft struck a telephone pole and
a telephone cable during the initial climb.

2. A take-off and climb to 50 feet performance calculation was not
completed prior to take-off; therefore, the flight crew was unaware
of the distance required to clear the telephone cable.

3. The southeast end of the airstrip was not clearly marked; as a
result, the take-off was initiated with approximately 86 feet of
usable airstrip behind the aircraft.

4. The take-off was attempted in an upslope direction and in light
tailwind, both of which increased the distance necessary to clear
the existing obstacles.

Marty
Old August 22nd 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

wrote in :

Can anyone ID the model of the plane that has the accident in this
video (accident appears near the end):

http://www.vimeo.com/4906010

Looks to me like a Twin Otter:

Thanks Martin - quick and thorough work!

Another version of the video calls it a Twin Otter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DEb0M6wt4

I came across the video on Vimeo but not knowing the make I couldn't find
if it was also on Youtube. So many plane crash videos there. :-(

Maybe high altitude, too? It looks to me as though the
terrain drops away on the other side of the road.

Hmmm - maybe. Muncho Lake is around 2700 ft. Accident was in the summer -
high density altitude possibly a contributing factor. But check the
comments in the forum link I give below.

Flight Safety Foundation details, with video:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20070708-0

Still searching for a final disposition by Canadian TSB ...

Found this thread where this accident has been discussed (and points to
earlier threads):

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewt...p?f=54&t=56633

One post that was made just a few weeks ago claims TSB released the
report but they hadn't been posted to their web site.

Side note: my wife and I traveled the Alaska highway a few years back and
drove by Muncho Lake - probably not far from where that airplane crashed.
Scenic landscapes for sure.
Old August 22nd 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote:
Got the TSB Canada number for the incident: A07W0128.

And here's the TSB report:

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/download/file.php?id=2071

Sad and fascinating reading.

Indeed.

I do recall seeing that airfield the one time we passed through the area.

Old August 22nd 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:34:45 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote in :

Maybe high altitude, too? It looks to me as though the
terrain drops away on the other side of the road.

Hmmm - maybe. Muncho Lake is around 2700 ft. Accident was in the summer -
high density altitude possibly a contributing factor.

High-weight takeoffs had worked in cooler temps and with
more favorable winds, according to the company logs.

But check the
comments in the forum link I give below.

Found this thread where this accident has been discussed (and points to
earlier threads):

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewt...p?f=54&t=56633

Yes. That's the forum that had the report in it as an attachment.
Different thread:

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=43761&start=0

One post that was made just a few weeks ago claims TSB released the
report but they hadn't been posted to their web site.

That's how it looked to me, too. The accident doesn't show up
in their listing by year:

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-re...2007/index.asp

I couldn't find any other search engine for TSB Canada, either.

Side note: my wife and I traveled the Alaska highway a few years back and
drove by Muncho Lake - probably not far from where that airplane crashed.
Scenic landscapes for sure.

The road between the lodge and the accident airstrip IS the Alaska highway.
You drove right by it, apparently.

"After becoming airborne, the aircraft entered a right turn and
the right outboard flap hanger contacted the Alaska Highway. The
aircraft subsequently struck a telephone pole and a telephone cable,
impacted the edge of the highway a second time, and crashed onto a
rocky embankment adjacent to a dry creek channel."

A very, very sad accident. High-time pilots but relatively new
to the Otter and to Liard. Long, convoluted accident chain ...

Marty