A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

A Question for ClearNav Users ...

Old January 31st 18, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Default A Question for ClearNav Users ...

I do like the CN digital display (which replaced my CN analog vario) and the thermal assistant it great. Yes, it does work with the same ADC used with the analog vario.

That being said you have to pay not both for the CN digital display (~$550) and an additional ~$600 (!) for the XC license. Ouch. Except for the thermal assistant I didn't really need, or want, any of the additional XC functionality* but, unless things have changed in the past year, the XC license is required to get the assistant.

Sure wish CN bundled this differently.

- John OHM Ω

* XC License Functionality Adds

Secure GPS flight recorder to the highest IGC approval level
Thermal Assistant (LCD version only)
Cambridge Dataport
ClearNav MFD Support
Task Management
Outside Air Temperature
GPS Ground Speed
Airspeed
True Airspeed
Altimeter

Old February 4th 18, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster

Sheesh. I really need to proof read better. Lets try this again...

========================

I do like the CN digital display (which replaced my CN analog vario) and the thermal assistant is great. Yes, it does work with the same ADC used with the analog vario.

That being said you have to pay not only for the CN digital display itself (~$550) but also an additional ~$600 (!) for the XC license. Ouch. Except for the thermal assistant I didn't really need any of the additional XC functionality* but, unless things have changed in the past year, the XC license is required to get the coveted assistant.

Sure wish that CN would bundle this differently.

- John OHM Ω

Cambridge Dataport
ClearNav MFD Support
Task Management
Outside Air Temperature
GPS Ground Speed
Airspeed
True Airspeed
Altimeter
Old February 4th 18, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Seriously, why would you not want the added features of the XC license?Â*
If you're only going to hang out over the airport, there's not much need
for a thermal assistant.Â* Not a criticism, but a genuine question.

On 2/4/2018 8:20 AM, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

========================

I do like the CN digital display (which replaced my CN analog vario) and the thermal assistant is great. Yes, it does work with the same ADC used with the analog vario.

That being said you have to pay not only for the CN digital display itself (~$550) but also an additional ~$600 (!) for the XC license. Ouch. Except for the thermal assistant I didn't really need any of the additional XC functionality* but, unless things have changed in the past year, the XC license is required to get the coveted assistant.

- John OHM Ω

Cambridge Dataport
ClearNav MFD Support
Task Management
Outside Air Temperature
GPS Ground Speed
Airspeed
True Airspeed
Altimeter

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 5th 18, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 10:04:23 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:

========================

- John OHM Ω

Cambridge Dataport
ClearNav MFD Support
Task Management
Outside Air Temperature
GPS Ground Speed
Airspeed
True Airspeed
Altimeter

--
Dan, 5J

Dan - My initial posting was to alert Jeff Morgan about the additional XC licensing cost (maybe he already knew). To answer your question, the XC navigation functionality in the CN digital vario is nice but, in my case, it is duplicated by my Clearnav II display and with another backup navigation device. I wanted to replace the CN mechanical vario specifically to get the thermal assistant. The XC functionality was superfluous for my setup and I think that the XC should be licensed separately from the thermal assistant.. My $0.02. Thanks.
Old February 5th 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

I use the CN vario with digital display only - no moving vario needles in the panel.
It's debatable whether the thermal assistant is fantastic, or an attractive nuisance, but it's easy to configure automatic display or not, the amount of lead it gives you on when to open up the turn, etc.
Whether you use the TA or not, the vario works very well. Mine does not connect to the hat removal device on the fin. Tried a few different TE probes including the double one but find the CN works best with electronic TE. You can switch this without re-plumbing anything, to see what you think best in your own installation.
Jim

Old February 6th 18, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Morgan
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 6:44:59 AM UTC-7, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

Dan - My initial posting was to alert Jeff Morgan about the additional XC licensing cost (maybe he already knew).

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for the input on this.

I knew about the differential pricing (Club/XC). But, I am not sure the existing license is. I assumed it was an XC license and would be transferable.. I have a little homework to do this week.
Old February 6th 18, 11:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 10:44:17 PM UTC-5, Jeff Morgan wrote:
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 6:44:59 AM UTC-7, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

Dan - My initial posting was to alert Jeff Morgan about the additional XC licensing cost (maybe he already knew).

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for the input on this.

I knew about the differential pricing (Club/XC). But, I am not sure the existing license is. I assumed it was an XC license and would be transferable. I have a little homework to do this week.

The vario will tell you at power up what license is installed. The license stays with the hardware, it's transferable.

-Evan Ludeman
Old February 6th 18, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 7:44:59 AM UTC-6, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 10:04:23 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:

========================

- John OHM Ω

Cambridge Dataport
ClearNav MFD Support
Task Management
Outside Air Temperature
GPS Ground Speed
Airspeed
True Airspeed
Altimeter

--
Dan, 5J

Dan - My initial posting was to alert Jeff Morgan about the additional XC licensing cost (maybe he already knew). To answer your question, the XC navigation functionality in the CN digital vario is nice but, in my case, it is duplicated by my Clearnav II display and with another backup navigation device. I wanted to replace the CN mechanical vario specifically to get the thermal assistant. The XC functionality was superfluous for my setup and I think that the XC should be licensed separately from the thermal assistant. My $0.02. Thanks.

John DeRosa, regarding xc functionality of the digital vario, try this: I leave my digital vario pointing to the home airport. I also may select a different McCready from what I use on the CNII. That way I know at all times how far I'm from home and where final glide is. Since the McCready on the vario drives the flight director, I can select a more aggressive value for that and still see on the CNII the glide amoeba for more conservative values.
Herb
Old February 6th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster

Herb - Yep, I do keep the digital vario pointing home. I will have to play with differing values of McCready. Good idea. Thanks.