Source of large diameter thick wall tube

Old November 1st 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Default Source of large diameter thick wall tube

This request isn't exactly for an airplane but it's for a glider winch.

I need to find a source for small amounts of 6.5" OD 1" wall steel tube. I
don't care too much about the alloy as long as it's reasonably strong and
both machinable and weldable.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Daniels

Old November 1st 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..
This request isn't exactly for an airplane but it's for a glider winch.

I need to find a source for small amounts of 6.5" OD 1" wall steel tube.
I don't care too much about the alloy as long as it's reasonably strong
and both machinable and weldable.

Try Floyd Equipment
2208 Pacific Highway E.
Fife, WA
253.922.0200

That's where I get the tube for my cannon barrels.

Rich S.

Old November 2nd 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Ammeter

Ya know, I was thinking that the tubing he was describing would make a
really good cannon myself...

John

Old November 2nd 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Well, it would be kinda short at 6" long. In cannon terminology, that would
be a 6-1. (The first number is the bore in inches and the second is the
barrel length in multiples of the bore.)

As I mentioned in a post a couple of years ago, a 30 foot length of 5" drill
pipe capped on one end and filled with a mix of oxygen and acetylene then
set off with a spark will do a reasonable imitation of a Naval 5-38. I know
that because a bunch of very bored roughnecks showed me. ( I also remember
what REAL Navy 5-38's sound like.)

I really don't need much thick wall tube.

Bill Daniels

news:7dOdnYkgrsq2odTYnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@cablespeedwa .com...

Old November 2nd 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
GeorgeB

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:49:46 -0700, "Bill Daniels"
bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:

This request isn't exactly for an airplane but it's for a glider winch.

I need to find a source for small amounts of 6.5" OD 1" wall steel tube. I
don't care too much about the alloy as long as it's reasonably strong and
both machinable and weldable.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Daniels

Bill, when I worked in heavy industry, our shop would regularly order
"structural tubing" from our steel supplier. It might have taken a
week or 2, but we never had any problem getting just about any size we
wanted.

That said, have you given any thought to 6" XXS pipe which will be
6.625 OD with 0.864 wall? I don't know if your dimensions were
generic or specific (as in fitting bearings). IF the latter, that
pipe, with OD machined to the bearings at the ends, may work; I'm not
a good enough engineer to do the calculations.

Schedule 160 may be easier to find; wall is 0.718.

George
Old November 2nd 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Don't be rediculous, it's to hold the football for field goal attempts.