Stupid Attorney taling about GPS's

Old February 19th 04, 11:21 AM
Cub Driver

As far as Clinton goes, it's ancient history.

And you've forgiven Nixon, right?

Clinton, like Nixon, was among the worst blots ever to stain the
American presidency.

Far from "getting over it" or "moving on," I would say: "Those who do
not study history are condemned to repeat it."

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 19th 04, 11:24 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 02:38:41 GMT, "john price"
wrote:

But was it TSO'd and permanently installed by a certificated
avionics technician??? If not how could it possibly be at all
accurate????

I was stopped by the police on my way to a flying lesson. The copper
ended his (cheery) lecture by saying "Mr. Doppler is never wrong!"

I told this to my flight instructor, formerly an engineer. He said:
"That would be true only if Doppler callibrated the instrument."

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 19th 04, 12:49 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:10:41 GMT, Peter wrote:

Unaugmented GPS has insufficient integrity monitoring.
http://www.cts.cv.ic.ac.uk/html/Rese...p?seminarID=62
:
"The assessment results also indicated that the current GPS system cannot
meet the RNP in most of the cases and the current integrity monitoring
mechanism is inadequate for providing the necessary integrity monitoring
capability. Therefore, this study suggests that augmentation systems are
needed to support the navigation function for all phases of flight." Jan.
28, 2004, Imperial College, London, Dr. Shaojun.

I looked at the link you posted. It seems to be a summary of what is
intended to be presented at a seminar, with no associated evidence. It is
also not clear as to what Shaojun's definition of "inadequate" is.

It is not clear to me what method of integrity monitoring is going on in
the British airspace to which Shaojun refers, but it seems to be
unaugmented RAIM.

The summary indicates that his study "route" was London to New York. But
my understanding is that trans-oceanic flights have to have multiple
navigation systems, only one of which can be GPS.

Old February 19th 04, 01:42 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Yup, and there is the 60mph bank, where every time the radar gun is at a
certain spot the bank registers at 60 mph... microwave motion detector at
the bank leaking radiation that mixes with the gun's frequency to produce
the spoofed reading
Oh, the officer will tell you that can't be... Ask him, what do you think
that the ECM box on an F 14/15/16/18/22/117 fighter does when an enemy fire
control radar tries to lock on...
denny

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old February 19th 04, 01:46 PM
Gary Drescher

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

As far as Clinton goes, it's ancient history.

And you've forgiven Nixon, right?

That's a preposterous analogy, for a couple of reasons:

1) How many off-topic posts do you see on this newsgroup spontaneously
complaining about Nixon? I can't think of any.

2) Nixon slaughtered hundreds of thousands of South Vietnamese because they
had the temerity to defend themselves against a US invasion, as they had
done previously against the French and the Japanese. He subverted the US
constitution by using federal agencies to commit crimes against his
political opponents. He resigned the presidency in the face of imminent
overwhelming votes for impeachment and conviction. He would have gone to
prison (as did 25 members of his administration, including four cabinet
members), had he not been preemptively pardoned by his own former vice
president.

Far from "getting over it" or "moving on," I would say: "Those who do
not study history are condemned to repeat it."

Good principle, preposterous instantiation. You think it's important for
people to continue to complain to an aviation newsgroup about Clinton's sex
scandal in order to protect the Republic from the possibility that another
president will get a blow job and lie about it?

--Gary

Old February 19th 04, 02:24 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Our system of lifetime professional politicians attracts those with huge
egos and a burning desire to forego gainful employment.. The public feed
trough attracts these types like moths to a burning flame... It will only
end if we 'ever' put strict term limits on every elected position above dog
catcher..
denny

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old February 19th 04, 02:54 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
Our system of lifetime professional politicians attracts those with huge
egos and a burning desire to forego gainful employment.. The public feed
trough attracts these types like moths to a burning flame... It will only
end if we 'ever' put strict term limits on every elected position above

dog
catcher..

And with term limits the populace will vote in the same characters with
different names.

Until the authority to spread money and favors (an authority they never
really had) is revoked, expect more of the same regardless of who is in
power or how many terms they (self)served.

Old February 19th 04, 03:15 PM
Ron Natalie

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message ...

And with term limits the populace will vote in the same characters with
different names.

I was never a Beavis and Butthead fan, but the other day I caught a few minutes
of the movie while flipping through the channels. They arrive at the Capitol and
make a PA announcement that they are looking for a girl with big boobs. The
entire house chamber then starts emitting the "heh heh heh" laugh.

Old February 19th 04, 03:34 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Peter" wrote in message
Tarver Engineering wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

Tarver Engineering wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

Ron Lee wrote:

"Dave" wrote:

Unaugmented GPS is accurate to within 7.2 meters longitudinally.

Go say that in sci.geo.satellite-nav and see what happens.

Probably not a bad number.

Only if the usual caveats are added; i.e. 95% of the time and assuming

the

receiver has good reception conditions. Any attorney trying to

discredit

GPS evidence will naturally focus on the 5% of the time when the

position

could be off by more than the nominal accuracy and on obstructions,
multi-path reflections, RFI, etc. that can degrade performance,
particularly in a covert installation where the antenna is unlikely to

be

optimally placed for good reception.

False.

The convergence of the GPS Jacobian does not occur for the conditions

you

describe. One of the major advantages of GPS over current ground based
navigation is the difficulty of spoofing the system.

I suggest you read your "GPS World" issues some more. Improvement of
integrity monitoring was one of the main reasons for requiring

augmentation

of GPS.

False.

The failure to monitor the integrity of the WAAS signal is why the test

bit
remained set until recently. The integrity issues were WAAS integrity
issues with no relevence to GPS.

Unaugmented GPS has insufficient integrity monitoring.

See the CNX-80.

Buy a vowel, get a clue, call your mommy.

Old February 19th 04, 03:35 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:10:41 GMT, Peter wrote:

Unaugmented GPS has insufficient integrity monitoring.

http://www.cts.cv.ic.ac.uk/html/Rese...ls.asp?seminar

ID=62
:
"The assessment results also indicated that the current GPS system cannot
meet the RNP in most of the cases and the current integrity monitoring
mechanism is inadequate for providing the necessary integrity monitoring
capability. Therefore, this study suggests that augmentation systems are
needed to support the navigation function for all phases of flight." Jan.
28, 2004, Imperial College, London, Dr. Shaojun.

I looked at the link you posted. It seems to be a summary of what is
intended to be presented at a seminar, with no associated evidence. It is
also not clear as to what Shaojun's definition of "inadequate" is.

What is clear is that Peter has a tad more ego than knowledge.