Why is R22 so expensive?

Old April 12th 04, 03:52 AM
NewsMonkey

Default Why is R22 so expensive?

I was told recently that a used R-22 Beta goes for around $120-$140K.
If this is true, why are they so much more expensive than prop aircraft?
Thanks.
Old April 12th 04, 04:07 AM

I have seen flying used R22's as low as $25K. I think you should look
around before spending $120-$140K on one. New, they go for about
$180K the last I checked. There is a 1200 hour major service that
costs about $80K to do. I hear it involves relplacing a lot of
expensive parts such as the main gearbox, rotor blades, etc.

The reason they are more money than a prop plane is because there is a
lot more to them and also because of product liability insurance. Its
a lot easier to get in trouble with a helicopter than a fixed wing.
And to add further insult to injury, fixed wings usually can carry a
great deal more cargo weight and get better mileage too.

Dennis.

NewsMonkey wrote:

I was told recently that a used R-22 Beta goes for around $120-$140K.
If this is true, why are they so much more expensive than prop aircraft?
Thanks.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old April 12th 04, 04:55 AM
Jerry H.

wrote in
:

I have seen flying used R22's as low as $25K. I think you should look
around before spending $120-$140K on one. New, they go for about
$180K the last I checked. There is a 1200 hour major service that
costs about $80K to do. I hear it involves relplacing a lot of
expensive parts such as the main gearbox, rotor blades, etc.

The reason they are more money than a prop plane is because there is a
lot more to them and also because of product liability insurance. Its
a lot easier to get in trouble with a helicopter than a fixed wing.
And to add further insult to injury, fixed wings usually can carry a
great deal more cargo weight and get better mileage too.

A brand new R-22 with the common options (aux fuel, com, transponder,
GPS, and cabin heat) costs $176K. At 2200 hours or 12 years (whichever
comes first) it has to be overhauled. The factory will do this for about
$95K. It will then look and fly like new and be good for another 2200
hours or 12 years. The second time it costs a little more to overhaul
because a few more components are scrapped (tail boom, part of the frame,
etc). A run-out late model is worth somewhere in the $40k range. The
value of a new one goes down from $176k to $40k pretty much in a
straight-line fashion based on how much time it has until overhaul. Of
course there is some variation due to appearance, maintenance history,
and how it was used.
The overhaul, by the way, is not optional.
Old April 12th 04, 11:13 AM
Murphy's law

"Jerry H." wrote in message ...
wrote in
:

[...]

The 12 year Robinson recommended overhaul/inspection is not mandatory
for FAR Part 91 flight instruction & private operation.
Notice N8600.40 paragraph #4 specifies that : " if a manufacturer's
buletin or document recommends a TBO and it is not specified for
compliance on the Type Certificate Data Sheet or specific in the Time
Limitations Section for that component, it is left to the discretion
of the aircraft owner/operator to comply with that recommendation
under part 91"
Robinson does not make the flying rules, FAA does!
2200 hrs fatigue life-limited parts of R22 : main rotor blades(A016-2
10years, A016-4 12years), coning hinge bolts, pitch horn screws, gear
ste of tail rotor gearbox, main rotor spindles 2415hrs
Rest of components have 4400 hrs & better service life limit
Robison recommended 12 year overhaul/inspection must be complied with
for part 135 & 141 operation
Old April 12th 04, 01:14 PM
Jerry H.

I stand corrected.