A-4 Skyhawk is 50 today

Old June 22nd 04, 08:55 PM
José Herculano

Default A-4 Skyhawk is 50 today

I kid you not!
_____________
José Herculano

Old June 22nd 04, 10:02 PM
Greasy Rider @ Invalid.com

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:55:04 +0100, "José Herculano"
proclaimed:

I kid you not!

I remember well seeing a group of those in the pattern at Oceana in
the 50s for the first time. As they dropped their gear I couldn't help
but wonder how those tiny gnats could be supported on those spindly
little landing gear.
Old June 22nd 04, 11:15 PM
Mike Kanze

I remember when the A-4 first came to NAS Alameda. VA-93, then under CDR
Paul Padgett, was the first west coast squadron to get them, starting in
1956 IIRC. I was just a youngster at the time, but it sure was exciting to
see these little hot-rods on the Alameda flight line. Glancing at the
hangar parking lot you'd see all the convertibles with the big tail fins
common on cars of that time, so the entire impression was one of speed.

New developments came along much faster then than now. My Dad took over
from Paul and within just a few months they began transitioning from the
A4D-1 (A-4A) to the A4D-2 (A-4B). The B retained the not-too-well-liked
J-65. However, it was the first of the type to have the external fueling
probe and to be fitted for buddy tanking.

--
Mike Kanze

"It would be a nightmare to live with the French. They are so irritating.
I've lived in England for 30 years and I'm a much better Frenchman for it."

- Raymond Blanc, French cordon bleu chef, on his countrymen.

"José Herculano" wrote in message
I kid you not!
_____________
José Herculano

Old June 22nd 04, 11:57 PM
Greasy Rider @ Invalid.com

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:15:55 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
proclaimed:

it sure was exciting to see these little hot-rods on the Alameda flight line. Glancing at the
hangar parking lot you'd see all the convertibles with the big tail fins
common on cars of that time, so the entire impression was one of speed.

In our parking lot was a funny powder blue german car with stupid
doors that raised up in the air. It and the blonde who drove it
belonged to the XO. I was more interested in the long legged blonde.
Old June 23rd 04, 12:27 AM
Bob Moore

Greasy Rider @ Invalid.com wrote
In our parking lot was a funny powder blue german car with stupid
doors that raised up in the air. It and the blonde who drove it
belonged to the XO. I was more interested in the long legged blonde.

Serious mistake on your part!

Bob
Old June 23rd 04, 01:01 AM
william cogswell

I remember working on the A-4 during the 80's, our youngest airframe was 2
years older than me yikes

Old June 23rd 04, 01:50 PM
Pechs1

I kid you not! BRBR

I count myself really lucky to have been able to fly the single seat E,F,F+ and
M in VF-126. A great jet, that was easy to fly, maintain and a real thrill to
fly. I think flying one around the boat would have been fun as well.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old June 27th 04, 04:28 AM
John Alger

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:57:48 GMT, Greasy Rider @ Invalid.com wrote:

In our parking lot was a funny powder blue german car with stupid
doors that raised up in the air. It and the blonde who drove it
belonged to the XO. I was more interested in the long legged blonde.

Messing with the XO's toys can have an adverse impact on one's career.
When I was and IP at NAS Chase, one of the less forward thinking
student aviators in our sister squadron discovered that fact one day -
I think he completed his training, but he went to Kingsville rather
suddenly.

J W Alger USNR(ret) 1310/1325
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B
Independent Representative
Excel Communications, Inc.

Do you have a "Plan B"?
From Robt. Kiyosaki's "Guide to Investing" :
Rich Dad said, "The biggest mistake people make is that they work too hard for their money." He went on to say, "Most people do not get ahead financially because when they need more money, they take a part-time job. If they really want to get ahead, they need to keep their day job and start a part-time business." p240
Now seeking representatives in USA, Canada, the UK - and soon GERMANY!
http://www.globalsuccess2000.com/mach1
http://www.globalsuccess2000.net/mach1