Thrown out of an FBO...

Old November 10th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

Newps wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Sometimes I swear Mike, Pete and Jose are simply Usenet AI programs,
set up to respond
with three specific responses that are triggered by any given stimuli.

They are as predictable as switching on a light. Every post is the same
and comes at exactly the same moment in any conversation.

That is true of just about everyone here, you and me included.

Matt
Old November 10th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

In the past month or 2 you've declared your bigotry towards government
employees, unions, union employees, charter pilots and charter owners. I may
have left a few out, but that's CRS for ya.

I'd be willing to bet I can throw in homosexuals and gay married couples.

Well, let's see. All me to address your absurd accusations one at a
time.

1. As taxpayers, (and the purported boss of all government employees)
it is every citizen's right -- no, it is their DUTY -- to point out
inefficiencies and bad work habits in the government. If you don't
believe that, America has truly lost its representative government.

2. Union employees, by their very nature, have mixed allegiances, since
they have two competing bosses. In my experience, this is a very bad
situation, and leads to untold inequities and inefficiencies.

Unions once served a purpose, but overstayed their welcome -- which is
why membership continues to dwindle. Their greed and short-sightedness
brought about the death of entire industries, and the loss of thousands
(millions?) of good-paying jobs in America. The fact that you refuse
to understand this is understandable, since you have benefited from
union representation -- but in truth you should be thankful that your
unemployed brethren are too ignorant to understand why they're now
standing in food stamp lines, or they'd be marching in front of your
house with burning torches.

3. We love charter pilots, and therefore let them use our car for free
when they stay with us. They're cheap SOBs because they have no money,
because they are chasing a dream -- which we truly respect. (Which is
why we continue to let them use our car, for free.).

What have *you* done for them, personally?

4. What's a "gay married couple"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

Oh yeah. The big one...non-business owners...except air charter owners,
apparently.

mike

"mike regish" wrote in message
. ..
Well, let's see here.

In the past month or 2 you've declared your bigotry towards government
employees, unions, union employees, charter pilots and charter owners. I
may have left a few out, but that's CRS for ya.

I'd be willing to bet I can throw in homosexuals and gay married couples.

mike

BTW, I feel just fine, thanks.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
That's bigotry. And Mr. Honeck has repeatedly demonstrated himself to be
bigot. And every now and then, he gets caught by it because he will
verbalize one of these sweeping generalizations to somebody who happens
be one of those individuals.

mike

Wow, first I "hate FBOs", and now I'm a "bigot"? Soon, you'll be
calling me a "social climber"...

;-)

Just once it would be good of you to contribute something positive to
this group, Mike. Try it sometime -- it'll make you feel better.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

I bet if one showed up at your hotel/motel or whatever it is, and announced
themselves as such, you'd kick them out.

Whatayasay, J? Would ya?

mike

"Jay Honeck"

wrote in message

4. What's a "gay married couple"?
--
Jay Honeck

Old November 10th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I bet if one showed up at your hotel/motel or whatever it is, and announced
themselves as such, you'd kick them out.

Ha -- right. Iowa City is the lesbian capitol of the world, with more
gay couples per capita than San Francisco. It's a very liberal, open
town -- which precisely fits my tastes. (I'm a fiscal conservative --
not a social one. IMO, the religious right is one of the worst things
that has ever happened to this country.)

As such, we do plenty of business with gay couples, quite happily. But
that's beside the point -- I've still never met a "married gay couple."

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The only interpretation that could change the underlying correctness of his
statements would be to think that Jay was speaking ONLY of the charter
pilots he had personally met, and not only talked to but also obtained
salary information from. There's absolutely no indication that was his
meaning...even Jay himself has not suggested his intent was to restrict his
statement to that group of people.

Sometimes, Pete, you just can't see the forest cuz the trees are in the
way.

Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) knows that charter pilots are paid
poorly. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why -- there
are ten pilots for every available charter job, and most charter owners
know that they can pay peanuts without fear of reprisal or any
diminuition of flight team quality.

It also doesn't take a genious to prove the validity of this statement.
All you've got to do is ASK THEM, and they'll tell you. I've never
yet met a charter pilot who said "Man, I am just rolling in dough!" --
and I've spoken with a lot of them.

Which isn't to say that they all hate their lives -- often the young,
single guys have a great time with it, and revel in telling "There I
was..." stories. Nevertheless, flying charter is a thankless, hard
life, with the ultimate reward being that all-important multi- and
turbine-engine flight time. This very expensive flight time is their
REAL pay -- but that doesn't put gas in the courtesy car tank, now does
it?

Since this type of flight time is necessary in order for any pilot to
make the next leap up the ladder (to the regional airlines), many young
men and women willingly submit themselves to a lifestyle that makes
many of us cringe in sympathy.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AES

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

4. What's a "gay married couple"?

Well, I'll take that one on, Jay, by asking in return -- and in
seriousness -- what's a "married couple"?

If the answer is, it's an essentially *legal* status, based on state or
Federal laws regulating marriage, then I'll want to know why it
shouldn't be available to gay as well as heterosexual couples. I'll be
glad to listen to arguments on all sides of that issue; but I'll only be
interested in or willing to hear arguments based on "civic" or "civil"
(as in civilian) factors -- married couples should get these tax breaks
or otherwise for the following "civic" reasons -- but *no religious
based arguments whatsoever*, because in a democracy I'm not willing to
have the laws that govern me be determined by anyone else's religious
beliefs.

If on the other hand it's an essentially *religion-based* status,
determined by whether or not some religion has in the eyes of God"
married this couple, well, then fine, no problem at all -- except that
that makes marriage an essentially private, personal religious matter,
which should have absolutely no legal standing or recognition *anywhere
in law, or in legal or civic matters* (any more than someone should get
a lowered bus fare or a tax deduction because they took Communion last
Sunday).

[Or, on the other hand, if you want to argue that married couples should
get these special legal rights because some church married them -- well,
you'd better be prepared for churches that are quite willing to marry
gay couples.]
Old November 10th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I've actually not found the privately owned hotels to be uniformly worse
than the chains, but I have found them to be much more variable. Chains
hotels are like chain restaurants. They are seldom great, but you
almost always know what you are getting.

Absolutely true. You can ALWAYS eat at Burger King, and know (with a
certain degree of assuredness) that your burger will be well done.

However, if you want a GREAT burger, you've simply got to visit the mom
& pop restaurants. There is no substitute.

Private hotels run the gamut
from flea bag dumps to really nice places.

Actually, our experience is a bit different, and it's a small but
important distinction. Private MOTELS are often bad, because they are
often formerly chain motels that have had their brand stripped from
them, for various reasons. (Usually the owner didn't keep updating the
facility, and couldn't keep up with whatever minimum requirements the
chain put forth.)

Private HOTELS, on the other hand, are often what are called "boutique
hotels" -- small, privately owned facilities that were NEVER a chain,
and never will be. Many times these are really over-grown bed &
breakfasts, like ours. Seek them out, and you won't be disappointed.

The trouble is you often
don't know what you are getting until you get there. This isn't a big
deal if you can get a room elsewhere, but occasionally you have no
choice by the time you find out that you've reserved at a dump.

This is where the internet has been the absolute savior of travelers!
Do not stay at ANY hotel that doesn't have their own website. (And I
don't mean the "blanket" "Sheraton" website that talks about the chain.
Those are totally useless...) The flea bags almost certainly don't
have their own website -- which makes them easy to avoid.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

He reacted negatively, you tried to make the best of it, he called you a
name (literally...the "Kerry" thing.)

Yes, that Kerry comment really was nasty! :-)

Heh. I think if I called my chief flight instructor "John Kerry" he -might-
open the door before he hucked my ass out of the plane.

-c