Jet Flies On With One Engine Out on Nonstop Trip to London

Old March 1st 05, 06:54 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:08:58 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote in
et::

But he landed only 167 miles short of his destination and presumably had the
required reserves at that time.

Presumably.

A great circle route between LA and London
crosses Greenland, passes near Iceland and then overflies Scottland and the
UK. I don't think that you can make the case that there was a big risk of
running out of fuel far from an airport. In fact, he could have landed in
Scottland with about 40 minutes more fuel than he landed with.

Perhaps. I presume there runways adequate for B-747 operation in
Scotland and all those intermediate airports.

It will be interesting to see what the whole story is.

I doubt the "whole story" will ever be completely revealed.

It probably comes down to deciding to continue after passing each suitable
airport with plenty of fuel to reach the next suitable airport. The airports
are only 500-700nm apart so he was always less than an hour from a suitable
airport.

Thanks for that information.

I would also doubt that he made this decision without consulting his company
dispatch.

Right. But given the BA policy, I'm not sure their input was safety
oriented.

I guess that I might feel differently if the flight was going from LAX to
Sidney and decided not to return or to land at Hawaii.

Definitely.

It seems kind of wierd to me too but then most of the pilots that will weigh
in on this topic continue on one piston engine one every flight and this guy
had three jet engines!!!

That brings up another issue. What would you estimate the flight
characteristics of a B-747 to be if the other engine on the wing with
the dead engine had failed? I would guess it would be virtually
uncontrollable without reducing power significantly resulting in a
forced descent.

And another issue is, if the engine failure had been a result of fuel
contamination, how did the PIC determine that the remaining fuel was
safe for continued transcontinental flight?

Additionally, when the engine failed, ATC mentioned sparks being seen.
How did the PIC determine there was no structural damage to the
airframe as a result of the engine failure?

I would fly either BA or another airline based on schedule and fare. Are
you safer flying four engine BA airplane or on an somebody else's two engine
airplane?

I don't have the requisite experience in airliner operation to begin
to answer that question.

Old March 1st 05, 07:24 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Perhaps. I presume there runways adequate for B-747 operation in
Scotland and all those intermediate airports.

Certainly in Scottland since two collided on a runway there. Sondre
Stromfjord in Greenland is long enough (I've seen 747s there) and so is
Keflavik in Iceland (I've seen 747s there too).

I doubt the "whole story" will ever be completely revealed.

I would suspect that the press will drum up enough concern that there will
be an investigation and the story will come out.

Right. But given the BA policy, I'm not sure their input was safety
oriented.

I was not aware that BA had a bad safety record or that the passengers were
exposed to much risk.

That brings up another issue. What would you estimate the flight
characteristics of a B-747 to be if the other engine on the wing with
the dead engine had failed? I would guess it would be virtually
uncontrollable without reducing power significantly resulting in a
forced descent.

I think that four engine airliners have to be able to fly with two engines
inoperative on one side but I am not certain. They can probably fly on one
outboard engine at certain weights.

And another issue is, if the engine failure had been a result of fuel
contamination, how did the PIC determine that the remaining fuel was
safe for continued transcontinental flight?

That seems remote. Has it ever happened? Could it even happen? Jet
engines can burn almost anything that is flamable. Seems unlikely that you
could even find enough of anything, except Jet fuel, at LAX to fill a 747!
Maybe they know why the engine failed.

Additionally, when the engine failed, ATC mentioned sparks being seen.
How did the PIC determine there was no structural damage to the
airframe as a result of the engine failure?

I think airliners are required to have burst protection built into the
nacelles to contain failed engine debris. I know that the 777 has this (saw
it on TV!)

I would fly either BA or another airline based on schedule and fare. Are
you safer flying four engine BA airplane or on an somebody else's two
engine
airplane?

I don't have the requisite experience in airliner operation to begin
to answer that question.

I don't either, I just think cheaper is better.

I have found over the years that when a group of smart people come to a
decision that seems crazy to me, it only seems crazy because I didn't have
all the facts that they had. Based on this, I give people the benefit of
the doubt.

Mike
MU-2

Old March 1st 05, 07:31 PM
Chris

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
It seems kind of wierd to me too but then most of the pilots that will
weigh in on this topic continue on one piston engine one every flight and
this guy had three jet engines!!!

I would fly either BA or another airline based on schedule and fare. Are
you safer flying four engine BA airplane or on an somebody else's two
engine airplane?

The reason I fly on four engined planes is that they don't do any with five
engines

Old March 1st 05, 07:33 PM
Bob Moore

Larry Dighera wrote
That brings up another issue. What would you estimate the flight
characteristics of a B-747 to be if the other engine on the wing with
the dead engine had failed? I would guess it would be virtually
uncontrollable without reducing power significantly resulting in a
forced descent.

Nope! It has a two-engine VMC around 230 KTS. Its two-engine
service ceiling would probably be less than 20,000' depending
upon weight.

Bob Moore
Old March 1st 05, 07:37 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Mike Rapoport" said:
"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .
Perhaps. I presume there runways adequate for B-747 operation in
Scotland and all those intermediate airports.

Certainly in Scottland since two collided on a runway there. Sondre

Are you thinking of Tenerife? That's in the Canary Islands, not Scotland.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"It must be in the basement; I'll go upstairs and get it." - M.C.Escher
Old March 1st 05, 07:43 PM
Julian Scarfe

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

Perhaps. I presume there runways adequate for B-747 operation in
Scotland and all those intermediate airports.

Certainly in Scottland since two collided on a runway there.

Er, when?

(But you're certainly correct in that Edinburgh, Glasgow and Prestwick are
probably all suitable for landing a B747.)

Julian

Old March 1st 05, 07:46 PM
Chris

Perhaps. I presume there runways adequate for B-747 operation in
Scotland and all those intermediate airports.

Glasgow (2700m) and Prestwick near Glasgow(3000m) can take a 747, Edinburgh
at 2600m might also. There are two RAF bases which could also take anything
big as they are emergency diversion fields.

Long before there is Reyjavik in Iceland

So when did two 747s collide in Scotland?

Old March 1st 05, 07:50 PM
Mike Rapoport

I was, my error. The runways at Glasgow and Edinburgh are long enough and
I'm certain that they are in Scottland.

Mike
MU-2

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Mike Rapoport" said:
. ..

Old March 1st 05, 07:51 PM
Chris

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Montblack" wrote)
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2497317.story

Iceland, post-Iceland, pre-Ireland, Ireland, Manchester, London,

Go no-go decision points.

I guess "pre-Ireland" means ...hope we make Ireland.

Probably should have eliminated this one and just gone with Ireland, since
once you're out of that big circle around Iceland the next go no-go
decision point is the Irish coast. Not too many places to land pre-Ireland
g.

You need to check up on your North Atlantic geography. Once you are out of
that big circle around Iceland, the next point of decision is the Scottish
Coast. Ireland is only an issue if you are doing the none Greenland route
and then the first airport is Shannon but to allow the Russians to fly to
Cuba.

Old March 1st 05, 07:58 PM
Julian Scarfe

Are you thinking of Tenerife? That's in the Canary Islands, not
Scotland.

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...
I was, my error.

It's unfortunately too easy to mix in the memory the pictures of a
devastated Pan Am B747 lying around after the Tenerife accident and pictures
of a devastated Pan Am B747 lying around after the Lockerbie bombing, which
was definitely in Scotland.

Julian