KPVD

Old August 11th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Vetter

Default KPVD

Ash Wyllie wrote:
I have to fly to Rhode Island Monday.

Is Green State GA friendly?

Doesn't sound like it:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPVD/NORTHSTAR#c

Is there an FBO at Quonset State?

Yes.

http://airnav.com/airport/KOQU/LANDMARK#c

People were friendly when I went there a couple years ago. Not sure if
they have updated their facilities yet, but I found them quite dated.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old August 11th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

I have to fly to Rhode Island Monday.

Is Green State GA friendly?

Is there an FBO at Quonset State?

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?

Old August 11th 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
S Green

They are fine. Tell when you are arriving they will sort it all out for you

Old August 11th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in :

Is Green State GA friendly?

Depends on your definition of friendly.

I've flown there a few times over the past few years. I haven't been there in
over a year, tho. It's a Class C airport, so it's got the Leather, Oak, and
Polish look instead of the "Guy behind the glass counter" look that you find
at smaller airports. Class C's (especially airline overflows for Logan)
typically charge a premium for services, so don't expect a free ride.

But if you're OK with paying a few dollars for parking, and don't mind that
the person behind the counter is a "Receptionist" instead of the store owner
or chief instructor, you'll probably be satisfied with your experience.

For what it's worth, the price to pay to park my plane for the day in PVD is
substantially less than the price to park my car in Manhattan for a day, and
the facility in PVD is nicer and gives you free coffee and I think popcorn
IIRC.

In Manhattan, the only thing I get for free is the finger.
Old August 11th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Doug Vetter opined

Ash Wyllie wrote:
I have to fly to Rhode Island Monday.

Is Green State GA friendly?

Doesn't sound like it:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPVD/NORTHSTAR#c

That's about what I thought.

Is there an FBO at Quonset State?

Yes.

http://airnav.com/airport/KOQU/LANDMARK#c

People were friendly when I went there a couple years ago. Not sure if
they have updated their facilities yet, but I found them quite dated.

Thanks, there were no listings in the AOPA Airport Directory.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?

Old August 11th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Judah opined

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in :

Is Green State GA friendly?

Depends on your definition of friendly.

I've flown there a few times over the past few years. I haven't been there in
over a year, tho. It's a Class C airport, so it's got the Leather, Oak, and
Polish look instead of the "Guy behind the glass counter" look that you find
at smaller airports. Class C's (especially airline overflows for Logan)
typically charge a premium for services, so don't expect a free ride.

But if you're OK with paying a few dollars for parking, and don't mind that
the person behind the counter is a "Receptionist" instead of the store owner
or chief instructor, you'll probably be satisfied with your experience.

A few dollars would be fine, but fees seem to be capricious and unrelated to
services used.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?

Old August 12th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Linda

Judah wrote:

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in :

Is Green State GA friendly?

Depends on your definition of friendly.

I've flown there a few times over the past few years. I haven't been there in
over a year, tho. It's a Class C airport, so it's got the Leather, Oak, and
Polish look instead of the "Guy behind the glass counter" look that you find
at smaller airports. Class C's (especially airline overflows for Logan)
typically charge a premium for services, so don't expect a free ride.

Not sure what you mean about "airline overflows," I'm noot aware of too many
planes landing PVD because they can't land BOS. Class C corresponds to airspace,
not the airport itself or FBO services.

PVD has fees but there are less friendly places to fly into.

Old August 12th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Linda

Ash Wyllie wrote:

I have to fly to Rhode Island Monday.

Is Green State GA friendly?

Is there an FBO at Quonset State?

All of the staffed state owned airports in Rhode Island have Landmark
(formerly Piedmont) as their FBO, including Quonoset.

Old August 13th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Linda wrote in :

Not sure what you mean about "airline overflows," I'm noot aware of too
many planes landing PVD because they can't land BOS. Class C
corresponds to airspace, not the airport itself or FBO services.

PVD has fees but there are less friendly places to fly into.

What I mean is this: Logan is one of the busiest airports in the world, with
extreme traffic, both in the air and on the ground. Numerous people from the
Boston area fly in and out of PVD to avoid dealing with Logan, and so it is
more than just a local class C airport in its own right. It's almost an
extension of Logan.

The same holds true for MDW relative to ORD, and for HPN relative to NYC, BWI
relative to IAD, and SNA relative to LAX...

Contrast this with the Class Cs that are rated as such because they service
cities that just don't quite have as much traffic as a Class B - BDL, SDF,
ACY, MHT, MSN, PWM, PIA, LIT, ROC, etc. In my experience, airports like those
certainly have nice FBOs and charge landing fees, but they are slightly more
GA friendly than the Class C's that are really just extensions for their
Class B counterparts "downtown".
Old August 14th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Ash Wyllie opined

I have to fly to Rhode Island Monday.

Is Green State GA friendly?

Is there an FBO at Quonset State?

I ended up flying into OQU. Nice people, OK airport. No clearance delivery.

All worked out well in the end.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?