More questions on VFR flight following.

Old January 7th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default More questions on VFR flight following.

"John Mazor" wrote in

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Attempts to rein in the off-topic posts in UseNet are doomed to
failure and in fact only contribute to the static noise. Your
options are to drop out, start to killfile (which is only partially
effective) or learn how to skip over the threads and/or posters that
don't interest you.

I don't think either of us is talking about off-topic posts. Steven
is complaining about posts from/to a specific user (MX), while I am
chiming in that it's not the poster that is the problem. Rather,
it's the guys who obsessively and reflexively respond to MX's posts
with abusive, ever-less-original insults that have so polluted the
group.

Mine isn't a complaint about off-topic posts at all. Rather, it's a
complaint against personal attacks on others in the group. Huge
difference.

Okay, fair enough - but my advice still is relevant and stands as is.

And as has been noted, how is the commercial promotion of your motel
in your sig germane to legitimate aviation topics, other than that
you may snag some pilots as guests?

My signature line has remained unchanged since we opened 5+ years ago
-- with large heapings of help from folks in this very newsgroup, I
might add. In it you will find links to my home page, with photos,
videos, and (*gasp*) even my real phone number and email address!

Then why not just put in direct links to anything related to aviation?
Why the sales job?

This same sig line goes on ever correspondence I send (well, okay,
minus the airplane "N" number), whether it's here, on email or snail
mail. If you choose to think of it as promotional, so be it -- I
prefer to think of it as "real" -- and this group would be a
damn-sight better off if everyone so clearly identified themselves.

So repeating the same offense over time and locations makes it
acceptable? So anyone who has something to sell to to the group
should feel free to put his marketing website in his sig? Sorry, but
that carries more than a faint whiff of shameless self-promotion.

If it were a non-profit website devoted to aviation interests, that
would be a different matter. And quite honestly, I don't think we'd
be having this conversation if you weren't one of the ones complaining
about content.

Yer wasting yer time on this one, John. Self promotion is the ONLY
reason he's here.

Bertie
Old January 8th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Honeck schrieb:

And as has been noted, how is the commercial promotion of your motel in
your sig germane to legitimate aviation topics, other than that you may
snag some pilots as guests?

My signature line has remained unchanged since we opened 5+ years ago --
with large heapings of help from folks in this very newsgroup, I might add.
In it you will find links to my home page, with photos, videos, and (*gasp*)
even my real phone number and email address!

a signature on usenet is almost never a topic for discussions. It is
broadly accepted to have his own signature (completely not-related to a
specific group or topic), correctly seperated by "-- " (note the
space!), followed by a maximum of *4* lines.

#m
Old January 8th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

John Mazor schrieb:

[...]

sorry, but you're wrong. A signature has nothing to do with a specific
group or topic, one should refrain from permanently only replying to a
posting with a full signature and a "me too" or "I agree", though. So
yes: whatever you put in your (*4*!) lines of signature (and hopefully
with a correct "-- " to separate the .sig and unless it is not illegal
you're free to write there whatever you want. This is widely accepted
within the community.

#m
--
This is a signature. I can write there whatever I want.
This could be a political statement, a joke or a link to a website.
Old January 8th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Mazor[_2_]

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message ...
John Mazor schrieb:

[...]

Oh, come on now. The criticisms here had nothing to do with arcane "standards". They had
everything to do with consistency vs. hypocrisy regarding criticisms by certain posters
over others' content.

--
Who gives a damn what I put here
as a sig as long as it isn't offensive?

-- John Mazor
"The search for wisdom is asymptotic."

"Except for Internet newsgroups, where it is divergent..."
-- R J Carpenter

Old January 8th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Oh, come on now. The criticisms here had nothing to do with arcane
"standards". They had everything to do with consistency vs. hypocrisy
regarding criticisms by certain posters over others' content.

You're trying to equate my inclusion of a web address in my signature line
with my opposition to personal attack posts on this newsgroup?

Wow.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 8th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Oh, come on now. The criticisms here had nothing to do with arcane
"standards". They had everything to do with consistency vs.
hypocrisy regarding criticisms by certain posters over others'
content.

You're trying to equate my inclusion of a web address in my signature
line with my opposition to personal attack posts on this newsgroup?

Well then how about your personal attacks, then ?

Not to mention your behind the back attempts to ostracise posters as well
as your netkkkoping?

Scumball.

Bertie
Old January 8th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote:
You're trying to equate my inclusion of a web address in my signature
line with my opposition to personal attack posts on this newsgroup?

Well then how about your personal attacks, then ?

Not to mention your behind the back attempts to ostracise posters as
well as your netkkkoping?

Scumball.

Can't we all just not get along?
Old January 8th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jim Logajan wrote in news:Xns9A1EDD1476E5JamesLLugojcom@
216.168.3.30:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote:
You're trying to equate my inclusion of a web address in my signature
line with my opposition to personal attack posts on this newsgroup?

Well then how about your personal attacks, then ?

Not to mention your behind the back attempts to ostracise posters as
well as your netkkkoping?

Scumball.

Can't we all just not get along?

I'm getting on great!

You?

Bertie
Old January 8th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote:
You're trying to equate my inclusion of a web address in my
signature line with my opposition to personal attack posts on this
newsgroup?

Well then how about your personal attacks, then ?

Not to mention your behind the back attempts to ostracise posters as
well as your netkkkoping?

Scumball.

Can't we all just not get along?

I'm getting on great!

You?

I need practice. Just don't have much time for it. While I'm here...

Don't you have someplace to fly to?
Old January 8th 08, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote:
You're trying to equate my inclusion of a web address in my
signature line with my opposition to personal attack posts on this
newsgroup?

Well then how about your personal attacks, then ?

Not to mention your behind the back attempts to ostracise posters

as
well as your netkkkoping?

Scumball.

Can't we all just not get along?

I'm getting on great!

You?

I need practice. Just don't have much time for it. While I'm here...

Don't you have someplace to fly to?

Not at the moment.

Been out building instead.

Bertie

Flight Questions Jed Piloting 32 September 15th 07 03:12 PM
flight level questions [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 14th 06 09:13 PM
Yesterday's IFR flight with questions A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 30 November 23rd 05 10:31 PM
Nice Surprize During Pre Flight, And A Few Odd Questions MRQB Owning 12 March 24th 04 11:26 PM
IFR flight in MSFS '98 questions Sydney Hoeltzli Simulators 9 July 31st 03 12:05 AM