More questions on VFR flight following.

Old January 4th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

Default More questions on VFR flight following.

wrote in message

Depends on what "safetying things" means.

If it means something like establishing that the artillery battery that
was using the area took a break for lunch, so you can go through RIGHT
NOW, what's the big deal?

No big deal, but if the using agency has ceased it's activities the airspace
should be returned without request.

Old January 4th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

That's swell, but safetying things so you can bring the Navions through
defeats the purpose of establishing the restricted areas.

No it does not. It keeps the uncoordinated traffic out of there.

Listen I know your world is limited, but I used to be one of those
guys on the ground in an R area who had to suspend ops when we got an
bogey in the active restricted area. Stopping our tests for twenty
minutes or being assured that they will stay off the active range
was a whole lot better than having some lost pilot wandering through
while we were trying to get work done.
Old January 4th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

No it does not. It keeps the uncoordinated traffic out of there.

Listen I know your world is limited, but I used to be one of those
guys on the ground in an R area who had to suspend ops when we got an
bogey in the active restricted area. Stopping our tests for twenty
minutes or being assured that they will stay off the active range
was a whole lot better than having some lost pilot wandering through
while we were trying to get work done.

You need to review Special Use Airspace.

Old January 4th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

wrote in message

Depends on what "safetying things" means.

If it means something like establishing that the artillery battery that
was using the area took a break for lunch, so you can go through RIGHT
NOW, what's the big deal?

No big deal, but if the using agency has ceased it's activities the airspace
should be returned without request.

OK, so in the case of the orignal post, "safetying things" most likely
meant ATC looked up the current status as I highly doubt ATC would
keep up with the status on a minute by minute basis.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 4th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Ross wrote:

All the times that I have used FF is just give a destination. Sometimes
ATC will come back and ask me to repeat the destination. I assume that
it is because I am not headed directly there. I tell them that I will be
flying such and such.

Or perhaps they do not know the airport identifier/location. I will
often use Colorado Springs as my destination instead of the smaller
Meadow Lake. You can't expect ATC to know every airport code in the
US.

Ron Lee

Old January 4th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

OK, so in the case of the orignal post, "safetying things" most likely
meant ATC looked up the current status as I highly doubt ATC would
keep up with the status on a minute by minute basis.

Actually, ATC does keep up with the status of SUA on a real time basis.
From the context it could only mean suspending the hazardous activities in
the Restricted Area to allow the safe transit of the Navions.

Old January 4th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

wrote in message

OK, so in the case of the orignal post, "safetying things" most likely
meant ATC looked up the current status as I highly doubt ATC would
keep up with the status on a minute by minute basis.

Actually, ATC does keep up with the status of SUA on a real time basis.
From the context it could only mean suspending the hazardous activities in
the Restricted Area to allow the safe transit of the Navions.

I meant the individual humans who make up ATC.

Do all the people in ATC keep up with everything in real time or do
they look at things to get current status of various things when that
thing is needed?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 4th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

I meant the individual humans who make up ATC.

So did I.

Do all the people in ATC keep up with everything in real time or do
they look at things to get current status of various things when that
thing is needed?

I don't see a practical difference. Individual controllers are supposed to
know the status of all things that affect their area of operations.

Flight Questions Jed Piloting 32 September 15th 07 03:12 PM
flight level questions [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 14th 06 09:13 PM
Yesterday's IFR flight with questions A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 30 November 23rd 05 10:31 PM
Nice Surprize During Pre Flight, And A Few Odd Questions MRQB Owning 12 March 24th 04 11:26 PM
IFR flight in MSFS '98 questions Sydney Hoeltzli Simulators 9 July 31st 03 12:05 AM