PowerFLARM Mode S question

Old October 24th 10, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default PowerFLARM Mode S question

On 10/24/2010 1:03 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Oct 24, 7:51 am, Mike
wrote:
On 10/24/2010 8:51 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 19:03:15 -0400, Mike Schumann wrote:

Over what period of time?

All at once, presumably. Just now (5:45 AM PDT) I looked at Flight Radar
24http://www.flightradar24.com/and saw 4 aircraft near Portland and 3
near LA.

So much for the assertion that ADS-B is far off into the future.

--
Mike Schumann

And a few airliners flying around today with 1090ES data-out (and not
integrated with most ATC services yet) somehow changes what has been
said here by anybody? Its exactly consistent.

ADS-B is coming. I've stated the situation as best as I know it with
ADS-B adoption. If you can add anything cogent to that discussion
speak up.

You are looking at airliners. As I've said here already - airliners
out of Europe are very likely to have 1090ES data-out. New airliners
in the USA are very likely to have 1090ES data-out. Some airlines and
freight carriers are likely to adopt earlier because they start to see
benefits like in-trail separation and sequencing or just because they
are interested in exploring the capability to do that in future. On
the other hand for GA and gliders there is very little incentive to
adopt ADS-B data-out, its expensive and the recent STC requirement is
a significant barrier. Significant enough that I suspect it just
stopped GA ADS-B upgrades cold for a while (outside locations where
there is a clear benefit like GOMEX and a oil industry helicopter
fleet that can pay for it). And we are still a few years away from
extensive ground station coverage with full ADS-B services (full roll
out of critical services at TRACON/approach locations, not just the
enroute essential services rolling out now in most places). And even
when there service is fully rolled out there it looks like there will
be poor coverage in many important glider locations. So all we can say
is (unless the wheels fall off ADS-B) there will be widespread
carriage of ADS-B data-out by 2020. Where widespread means all the big
guys and installed at least in GA aircraft that fly where they require
transponders today. And all the big guys will be 1090ES data-out and
what GA adopts we'll have to wait and see (but I expect much more
1090ES data-out than the FAA seemed to ever expect).

I assume you have the ability to find out what current UAT adoption is
around some locations. That would be interesting to know.

Nobody I can find from AOPA, NBAA, avionics industry organizations
etc. seems to have any predictions for ADS-B fleet adoption rates. I
would certainly not assume aggressive roll-out of ADS-B data-out in GA
aircraft--because of the current STC hurdle, the costs and lack of
benefits (that AOPA and EAA and others are pretty clear of in their
criticisms of ADS-B).

And back to gliders... there seems no way that certified gliders can
install any ADS-B data-out today because of the lack of STC approval.
So its largely academic right now for many of us if a product is FCC
and TSO approved if there is no STC for installation on type. If you
want to keep saying that certain UAT transceivers are available now
you need to qualify that would be for experimental gliders only or let
us know who is working on the install STC and for what gliders.

Darryl

The reality is that the big short term opportunity with ADS-B is TIS-B.
If you are within range of an ADS-B ground station, you will be able
to see not just other ADS-B equipped aircraft, but all other Mode C / S
transponder equipped aircraft that are visible to ATC.

The ground station rollout is moving ahead briskly. I was told that
MSP's ground station is live as of September.

Most people flying gliders near major metropolitan areas will be within
range of an ADS-B ground station. With an ADS-B transceiver (UAT or
1090ES), you will be able to see all airliners, and also most GA
aircraft. In addition, ATC will be able to see you just like you had a
transponder.

This may not help people flying gliders in remote areas at low
altitudes, but it will be a huge plus for most recreational glider pilots.

The challenge is to come up with a low cost ADS-B transceiver package
that is acceptable, both from a cost, size, and functional perspective,
to the glider community. PowerFlarm, if, and only if, it is coupled
with an active ADS-B Out transmitter may be the best approach. There
will surely be others that are aimed at the GA market, which being much
larger than the glider market, will hopefully be more cost effective.

--
Mike Schumann
Old October 24th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Oct 24, 2:24*pm, Mike Schumann
wrote:
The reality is that the big short term opportunity with ADS-B is TIS-B.
* If you are within range of an ADS-B ground station, you will be able
to see not just other ADS-B equipped aircraft, but all other Mode C / S
transponder equipped aircraft that are visible to ATC.

Wrong.

Not unless *you* have ADS-B out.
Please read:
http://www.gliderpilot.org/FLARM-Abo...nders-And-ADSB

Now, go back and read it again, this time carefully.
Old October 25th 10, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 10/24/2010 6:14 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Oct 24, 2:24 pm, Mike
wrote:
The reality is that the big short term opportunity with ADS-B is TIS-B.
If you are within range of an ADS-B ground station, you will be able
to see not just other ADS-B equipped aircraft, but all other Mode C / S
transponder equipped aircraft that are visible to ATC.

Wrong.

Not unless *you* have ADS-B out.
Please read:
http://www.gliderpilot.org/FLARM-Abo...nders-And-ADSB

Now, go back and read it again, this time carefully.

How about fully reading my post? I indicated you needed an ADS-B
"transceiver", not a "receiver". I also indicated that PowerFlarm might
provide TIS-B services only if it was coupled with an ADS-B Out transmitter.

--
Mike Schumann
Old October 25th 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

wrote:
The reality is that the big short term opportunity with ADS-B is TIS-B..
* *If you are within range of an ADS-B ground station, you will be able
to see not just other ADS-B equipped aircraft, but all other Mode C / S
transponder equipped aircraft that are visible to ATC.

Wrong.

Not unless *you* have ADS-B out.
Please read:
http://www.gliderpilot.org/FLARM-Abo...nders-And-ADSB

Now, go back and read it again, this time carefully.

How about fully reading my post? *I indicated you needed an ADS-B
"transceiver", not a "receiver". *I also indicated that PowerFlarm might
provide TIS-B services only if it was coupled with an ADS-B Out transmitter.

--
Mike Schumann

Oh, so you're suggesting something that DOES NOT EXIST
FOR GLIDERS ?

Old October 25th 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 10/24/2010 7:56 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:

wrote:
The reality is that the big short term opportunity with ADS-B is TIS-B.
If you are within range of an ADS-B ground station, you will be able
to see not just other ADS-B equipped aircraft, but all other Mode C / S
transponder equipped aircraft that are visible to ATC.

Wrong.

Not unless *you* have ADS-B out.
Please read:
http://www.gliderpilot.org/FLARM-Abo...nders-And-ADSB

Now, go back and read it again, this time carefully.

How about fully reading my post? I indicated you needed an ADS-B
"transceiver", not a "receiver". I also indicated that PowerFlarm might
provide TIS-B services only if it was coupled with an ADS-B Out transmitter.

--
Mike Schumann

Oh, so you're suggesting something that DOES NOT EXIST
FOR GLIDERS ?

Navworx exists. PowerFlarm does not.

You can hook up Navworx to a variety of GPS units to graphically see
aircraft in your vicinity. You might not like the cost, power
consumption or the selection of display devices that are supported, but
it will work in a glider and it will show you the accurate position and
altitude all of the other transponder equipped aircraft in your area if
you are within range of an ADS-B ground station.

If you want to accurately and reliably see GA and jet aircraft and you
operate in an area that has ADS-B ground station coverage, an ADS-B
based solution will give you the most accurate information, but ONLY if
you are also transmitting an ADS-B out signal.

--
Mike Schumann
Old October 25th 10, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 10/24/2010 7:10 AM, Mike Schumann wrote:
I think it's pretty clear - Mike admits that when PowerFlarm gets FCC
approval he will unequivocally support it as the optimal solution for
gliders. His arguments to-date have been uniformly based on
PowarFlarm's pending approval.

Mike, are you going to change your argument or be consistent?

9B

When the product is FCC approved, and you can get a datasheet and a
manual then we can have a discussion on the pluses and minuses. I am
open minded to any solution that not only addresses glider on glider
threats, but also glider / GA and glider / airliners threats.

It's not like PowerFlarm is a completely new, untested concept, or that
the people bringing it to market are unknown ciphers. They've done this
before, to the tune of 10,000+ installations, and it's reasonable to
assume they'll do it again, so there is simply no point not to have the
discussion NOW. Your recalcitrance on this makes you look very
unreasonable, and casts doubt your arguments, deserved or not.

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old October 25th 10, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

wrote:
[...]

Again the devil is in the details.

Where is the STC that allows a NavWorx ADS600-B to be installed in a
certified glider to comply with the new FAA STC requirements announced
this August? (yes an experiential glider can get away without this).
The NavWorx ADS600-B transceiver is TSO as a UAT transceiver but its
built in GPS source does not meet the TSO-C145/C146 WAAS GPS
requirements to drive ADS-B data-out for the 2020 carriage mandate.
The NavWorx products were intended to have one of these higher end GPS
systems connected to it to meet the full 2020 carriage mandates for
powered aircraft but be usable now without that (which could easily
double or more their cost today and increase power consumption). And
that certainly seemed a good idea (and still doable for experimental
aircraft) but it looks like the FAA may have other ideas for certified
aircraft... since the FAA recently instituted this new STC requirement
it is not clear to me whether the FAA has any intention of allowing
STC approval for an install that does not meet the 2020 carriage
mandate requirements. And even if gliders were not otherwise required
to meet those GPS requirements. I've just about given up trying to
navigate this FAA mess, but then I'm not pushing people to adopt ADS-B
data-out now -- but Mike you are so maybe you can explain this actual
situation here. Will the FAA allow a STC to be developed for install
in a glider with a non-TSO-C145/C146 WAAS GPS? And who is funding the
development of that STC for installation of a NavWorx ADS600-B UAT in
a certified glider? Which gliders? Or any idea when the FAA plans to
drop the STC requirement and allow field approval/337 installs?

TIS-B will likely work well where there will be good GBT (ADS-B base
station) and radar coverage and with classic GA style aircraft
separation. But there won't be TIS-B coverage in many critical areas
such as many GA airport traffic patterns and other areas where I worry
about GA traffic - again that's not an overall slight on TIS-B but
pilots need to look at this coverage where they fly and be aware as
well when the TIS-B support is rolling out for their en-route (pretty
soon for most people) and approach/TRACON radar coverage (now for a
very few, over the next few years for most).

If you just fly a glider like a GA aircraft and never fly close to
other glider etc. then things are simpler, but most of us end up
flying in ways that cause some specific traffic display/threat warning
challenges. Again this UAT solution relies on a third party display/
warning system that processes data from the UAT transceiver. That
system likely needs to be optimized/designed for the type of flying
gliders do, and the applies to TIS-B data as well. To see why...
consider the case of flying within a short distance of other gliders
who are transponder equipped. This is not necessarily in the same
thermal, it could be a fraction of a mile or so away. But there is
more uncertainty with a SSR derived location data pumped through TIS-B
than there is with a GPS location based ADS-B direct or ADS-R (relay)
signal. Just how the traffic display/threat warning system handles
that situation might be critical but its may be something that only
somebody designing a system for gliders will worry about. In many
cases when a TIS-B based systems sees your glider buddy getting close
the best it may be be able to do is just throw up it hands and say
"threat nearby at altitude xxxx" it won't be able to give direction
data. And you don't want it to keep false warning you about your
glider buddies so you want some way to suppress that warning unless
they get really close (hopefully with an altitude and range margins
you can set) and an easy way to suppress recurring warnings and you
want those settings separate for TIS-B than ADS-B direct/ADS-R. The
devil again, is in the details. Who is going to get this right for UAT
traffic display/threat warning for a glider cockpit?

I believe that TIS-B is a useful add-on service for some GA folks who
can afford it and fly in the right areas. I'm more dubious that is is
financially justified in gliders now. This stuff may be interesting to
pilots if they can manage to legally install a UAT transceiver and
third party display/processor system, afford the thousands of dollars
purchase and install cost (could be over $5k or more with TSO GPS and
all the STC driven costs?), can power the system (over 1 amp with
display and TSO complaint GPS) and they need to check out that traffic
display/threat processing system indeed will meet the needs of their
glider cockpit/flying environment.

Mike if these things are here now and do TIS-B so well to solve the GA
traffic concerns you have mentioned so the obvious question is have
you purchased a NavWorx ADS600-Receiver? How have you legally
installed it in your glider? What traffic/display hardware are you
using and how well does it handle things like TIS-B when flying near
and thermalling with transponder equipped gliders or other UAT
equipped gliders? Seems like a research project not a product ready to
sell (to the glider market) to me.

Darryl
Old October 25th 10, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Oct 24, 9:50*pm, Mike Schumann
wrote:
Navworx exists. *PowerFlarm does not.

You can hook up Navworx to a variety of GPS units to graphically see
aircraft in your vicinity. *You might not like the cost, power
consumption or the selection of display devices that are supported, but
it will work in a glider and it will show you the accurate position and
altitude all of the other transponder equipped aircraft in your area if
you are within range of an ADS-B ground station.
--
Mike Schumann

WRONG

Too much power.
No STCs.
Too expensive.
No effective collision warning.

=== DOES NOT EXIST FOR GLIDERS ===
QED
Old October 25th 10, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 10/25/2010 12:46 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

I'm not opposed to having a discussion about future products. I've
participated in these before. My objection is in misrepresenting future
products as things that currently exist, while simultaneously
disparaging products that currently do exist as being "future" products.

--
Mike Schumann
Old October 25th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 10/25/2010 1:52 AM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

wrote:
[...]

From what I see on the Navworx web site, the ADS600-B is NOT TSO'd,
even though it is FCC approved. I'm don't claim to be an expert on FAA
issues regarding installation of equipment in aircraft, so I have no
idea what that means.

I suspect that the current non TSO'd Navworx box will not meet the 2020
ADS-B rule. I suspect that you could install it in a certified glider
as a portable device, like you would a Garmin 496, without any trouble
(FAA trouble that is). However, the unit obviously doesn't look like it
was designed for this. I don't know what the ramifications are of a
permanent install.

You are certainly correct that installation of this kind of equipment in
a glider (or any aircraft), at this stage of the product / regulatory
life cycle should be treated as a research project. The same applies to
PowerFlarm when it initially starts shipping.

--
Mike Schumann