Double Release Failure on Tow

Old March 28th 16, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

Default Double Release Failure on Tow

L.O.T. used to be a pre-solo confidence building maneuver employed liberally at Skylark North, CA. An instructor demo touch-and-go followed by a student touch-and-go and then a full stop by the student. Very rare that the student needed anything other than some verbal coaching.

Hmmm. Could 3 touch-and-go-on-tows be good enough for a 61.56 (nee biennial) flight review?
Old March 29th 16, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 8:38:16 PM UTC-4, Piet Barber wrote:
I'm sure a few people here have practiced it... but I really need to know:

Has it ever actually happened? I mean, has there ever been a bona fide certified, verified example of both release hooks failing in flight? The glider can't release, the glider gives the signal, the tow plane can't release, gives the signal; both aircraft land in formation.

Has anybody ever heard of this actually happening? If so, how did it turn out? What was the proficiency level of the pilots who did this? Did anything get scratched or bent?

Long ago at our club one of the instructors wanted to try out landing on tow.
Somehow they wound up breaking the rope anyway, at around 500 feet AGL and far
from the airport... No bent planes but bruised egos after the retrieve!
Old March 29th 16, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Hmmm. Could 3 touch-and-go-on-tows be good enough for a 61.56 (nee biennial) flight review?

Used that method to get current again for the 90 day rule. I couldn't find any reference saying that these had to be full-stop landings.
Just coordinate it well with the tow pilot and let him know, that he cannot pull the power as he normally would do after the glider releases, if you are flying anything more slippery than a 2-33 or the tow plane becomes really big outside your canopy really fast!

Uli
Old March 29th 16, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

The FAA Glider Pilots Handbook recommends low tow position.
BillT
Old April 9th 16, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZZ

I have done three of them (simulated, not real failures). Stay in high tow position and these are dead easy and fun. The probability of an actual occurrence? Whatever number is closest to zero.
Paul
ZZ
Old April 10th 16, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 4/9/2016 8:12 AM, ZZ wrote:
I have done three of them (simulated, not real failures). Stay in high tow
position and these are dead easy and fun. The probability of an actual
occurrence? Whatever number is closest to zero. Paul ZZ

Another topic worthy of more extended conversation???

Bruce Miller, the (now long) late glider FBO at Boulder, CO, used to regularly
demonstrate - and perhaps teach; I was never certain - landing on tow (one
natural outcome of a double release failure). His preferred approach was for
the glider (2-32) to land first, from low tow position, wait for the tug to
land, and then for the glider to do the (bulk of?) the braking. It usually
never took more than ~3/4 of the ~4,000' paved/gravel, 5300'msl, strip, with
two in the glider.

Did your simulated double release failures include landings? If so, could you
elaborate on the techniques used? Inquiring minds and all that...

Thanks!

Bob W.
Old April 10th 16, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

I think we need to start practicing a lot more "possible" scenarios like actual bird strikes, landing with flat tires, actual fires in the cockpit, and take offs and landings while both pilots are testing or talking on their cell phones...

Boggs
Old April 10th 16, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don't remember the details, but there was a double release failure at Calistoga, years ago. Sailplane couldn't release, so tow pilot pulled the gilitene (Sp?) but it had rusted and didn't sever the line. Next he (tow pilot), broke the mirror and took a piece of it and tried to reach around behind and cut that puppy manually!
I seem to remember the gyrations of the un-guided tow plane were so severe that the tow rope finally just broke its self.
Anyone remember more details on this one?
JJ
Old April 11th 16, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Haven

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 2:30:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Don't remember the details, but there was a double release failure at Calistoga, years ago. Sailplane couldn't release, so tow pilot pulled the gilitene (Sp?) but it had rusted and didn't sever the line. Next he (tow pilot), broke the mirror and took a piece of it and tried to reach around behind and cut that puppy manually!
I seem to remember the gyrations of the un-guided tow plane were so severe that the tow rope finally just broke its self.
Anyone remember more details on this one?
JJ

We checked our guillotine and found the cable frozen in the housing.

Tost release failure Bill D Soaring 24 August 20th 13 10:49 AM
TOST Release Failure - Two Uncommanded Release's [email protected] Soaring 11 October 13th 12 10:23 AM
Double Release Failure ZZ Soaring 35 September 11th 09 03:29 AM
Double tow [email protected] Soaring 2 October 25th 05 07:16 PM
Double Tow Doug LS4 Soaring 5 October 11th 05 02:37 AM