Double Tow

Old October 9th 05, 11:05 PM
Doug LS4

Default Double Tow

The subject of double tows has been discussed a few times. I've re-read
the old threads and I have the gist of how it's done.

It's a little unclear from the old posts if double tows are a
reasonable way to get gliders in the air more quickly in the course of
routine launching. On our busiest days, my small club finds the wait
for a single tow plane too long. No other tow planes are available.
And, while we are generally enthusiastic about ground launch, it is not
an option at our site.

So, assuming plenty of ground crew and competent pilots, will double
tows overcome the extra set up time ?

Is anyone out there routinely using double tows ?

Doug

Old October 10th 05, 04:06 AM
Rex

We utilize double tows at Williams Soaring Center quite routinely.
Due to our location at sea level in the Sacramento Valley, pilots
require a 20-25 tow to the Mendecino Mountains. This requires a 20-30
minute round trip for the towplane. The double tow obviously cuts the
lauching of the fleet in half. The set up time with a competent staff
is negligible.

You can read more about our double to operation at
www.williamssoaring.com
and the Valley Soaring Association link.

Rex Mayes

Old October 10th 05, 04:15 AM
Mike I Green

We had at least 6 double tows yesterday at Williams Soaring Center.
Sure gets us up when we need 6k' tows and there only two Pawnees. Check
with Rex Mayes at WSC. http://www.williamssoaring.com/

mg

Old October 11th 05, 12:00 AM
Doug LS4

Thanks to the info. The WSC procedures describe double tows very well.
I suspect we'll try some double tows in the near future and see if
they'll work for us.

Doug

Old October 11th 05, 02:37 AM

I couldn't find your Procedures on this website

Pilot info/Operations

http://www.soaringnet.com/%7Epk/rr-ops.html
Leon McAtee