Cross Country Soaring by Reichmann

Old November 8th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bobcaldwell

Default Cross Country Soaring by Reichmann

I have a fairly early copy of this book. Copyrights 1975 and 1978
with the second printing in 1981. Does anyone know if Reichmann ever
updated it or if anyone else did after his death. I was going to
reread it this winter but was curious if it had been brought into the
GPS/flight computer era yet. If it hasn't been that would be a worthy
project for someone as it is a truly great book and certainly still
relevant but not current with the latest technology.

Thanks for any info.

Bob Caldwell

Old November 8th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

bobcaldwell wrote:

I have a fairly early copy of this book. Copyrights 1975 and 1978
with the second printing in 1981. Does anyone know if Reichmann ever
updated it or if anyone else did after his death. I was going to

I have 9th edition 1998 and it seems to be still the original.

reread it this winter but was curious if it had been brought into the
GPS/flight computer era yet. If it hasn't been that would be a worthy
project for someone as it is a truly great book and certainly still
relevant but not current with the latest technology.

Frankly, I don't know whether it would be worth the effort. The book
covers all the principles extremely well. There are very few pages which
are obsolete, and I don't think the book would gain anything by
mentioning some GPS devices. Besides, all chapters about electronics
would be obsolete before the ink was dry.
Old November 8th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

There were 2 different revisions available in the USA. I bought the first
one and a few years later a revised (by Reichmann) version came out. The
new version had new example training exercises and other updates. It has
not been updated since then. It is still a great book. I still sell them
quite often.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old November 8th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

In some sense the Brigliadori book is the "update", including sports
psychology, turn area task strategy, some discussion of technology,
new sources of weather analysis (surely the biggest change since
Reichman's day) and postflight analysis using software. It's a little
more loosely written, more a poetic than German engineering approach.
The translation is a little rough in spots. (For example, the long
discussion of "dynamic" soaring looks really hot until you realize
this means "ridge soaring" in Italian.) The stories and pictures are
good too.

John Cochrane

Old November 9th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Correction: I've just seen that a new edition has been published in 2005
which has been revised by someone. I don't know what has been changed.
Old November 9th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 9, 12:24 am, John Smith wrote:
Correction: I've just seen that a new edition has been published in 2005
which has been revised by someone. I don't know what has been changed.

Quite a lot, actually. A must have even for the owner of the older
edition.
I bought it in German http://www.streckenflug.at/shop/prod...roducts_id=137
but have seen it in English as well... somewhere...

Old November 12th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
alex8735

On 8 Nov., 21:15, bobcaldwell wrote:
I have a fairly early copy of this book. Copyrights 1975 and 1978
with the second printing in 1981. Does anyone know if Reichmann ever
updated it or if anyone else did after his death. I was going to
reread it this winter but was curious if it had been brought into the
GPS/flight computer era yet. If it hasn't been that would be a worthy
project for someone as it is a truly great book and certainly still
relevant but not current with the latest technology.

Thanks for any info.

Bob Caldwell

There is a revised version from 2005. I compared both the new and
original version and finally purchased the original because the
changes/additions seemed to be few. I had expected an more detailed
look at the changes in xc soaring in particular due to gps navigation
but was disappointed. I would recommend the Brigliadori book as a
great update/extention.