TopMeteo Soaring Weather Now Available for United States Region

Old February 25th 16, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default TopMeteo Soaring Weather Now Available for United States Region

During the 2016 SSA convention, TOPMETEO.COM announced availability of their suite of soaring, ballooning and general aviation forecasts for the United States Region.

Dr Bernd Goretzski briefed me on the soaring version of this product. It looks to be nearly identical to all the TopMeteo soaring forecasts for the European and African regions. Naviter is partnering with the release of SeeYou version 8. In that version the winds, soaring forecast and PFD(Potential Flight Index) are combined with the tasking features to suggest the distance and best time to fly in any region of the U.S.

This is a significant new option for getting your soaring forecasts in the U.S. TopMeteo is the premiere soaring forecast service for the last 15+ years throughout Europe. Dr Goretzski explained that their "Regional Numerical Model" is initialized by the NOAA GFS model at boundaries allowing forecasts for soaring, ballooning and GA out to six days. To keep their "Regional Model" synchronized, it is initialized by the GFS model every 24 hours out to six days.

I haven't had a chance after returning from the SSA convention to experiment with this product yet. There is a subscription free period through April 30, 2016 where anyone can register to try it out. The voucher code is:

C-SSAUSA-2016-2016

After the "free" period is over the subscription fee is $99/year. There is a bundled price if you subscribe with through SeeYou's annual fee

Naviter's announcement is he

http://www.naviter.com/2016/02/seeyo...meteo-weather/

Login at TopMeteo.com to get started.

Walter Rogers "WX"

Old February 25th 16, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I've been enjoying learning topmeteo this week and getting it to work with see you. Exciting news for US pilots!
Old February 25th 16, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Minot Moonshiners

I didn't realize it was new. A friend who was at the convention told me about it. I signed up for the two weeks. Headed to Williams next week.. been watching it daily to see what it looks like this weekend, hope for good flying next weekend.

JP
Old February 25th 16, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 9:04:02 AM UTC-6, Minot Moonshiners wrote:
I didn't realize it was new. A friend who was at the convention told me about it. I signed up for the two weeks. Headed to Williams next week.. been watching it daily to see what it looks like this weekend, hope for good flying next weekend.

JP

That was quick!!! SeeYou just issued version 8.03 and my above stated problems disappeared, thanks. Looks like this will become a new must-have tool for serious OLC pilots and contest tasking.
Herb
Old February 25th 16, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Signed up for an account at TopMeteo.com, successfully got the maps. Upgraded SeeYou to 8.03, put in a task. Then put my username into the TopMeteo box, and it retrieved my account. But the data download only partially completed, then stopped with an error. Exited SeeYou, tried again, same result.

Is anyone else having this problem?

-John, Q3

PS - on TopMeteo.com the Site Forecast is in SI units, while the wind speed on the charts is in kts and the altitude is in feet. Does anyone know how to make the data consistently be in Imperial units?

Old February 25th 16, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 4:39:52 PM UTC-5, John Carlyle wrote:
Signed up for an account at TopMeteo.com, successfully got the maps. Upgraded SeeYou to 8.03, put in a task. Then put my username into the TopMeteo box, and it retrieved my account. But the data download only partially completed, then stopped with an error. Exited SeeYou, tried again, same result.

Is anyone else having this problem?

-John, Q3

PS - on TopMeteo.com the Site Forecast is in SI units, while the wind speed on the charts is in kts and the altitude is in feet. Does anyone know how to make the data consistently be in Imperial units?

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 11:56:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:
That was quick!!! SeeYou just issued version 8.03 and my above stated problems disappeared, thanks. Looks like this will become a new must-have tool for serious OLC pilots and contest tasking.
Herb

Signed up with topmeteo, upgraded seeyou, and restarted. Then, went into topmeteo, filled out my location, and it popped up the weather.

I, too, wish for imperial measurements vs metric. In there somewhere...
Old February 25th 16, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 1:17:03 AM UTC-6, WaltWX wrote:
[...]

Signed up right after my return from Greenville. It works fine for all US areas in the TopMeteo.com site but I encountered trouble when running it in SeeYou. I upgraded to version 8.02 and TopMeteo was in the completely new menus. However, in the TASK tab the program halts and completely locks up SeeYou. I sent a troubleshooting ticket to Andrej Kolar, does anybody else have this problem?
Herb
Old February 25th 16, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Two[_2_]

I've been using TopMeteo in France for several years now and find it to be a great product. I just upgraded to SeeYou 8.02 and have no problems with the weather overlay and tasking projections. It's a great new tool!

Chris

Old February 26th 16, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Hi Walt,

I have found GFS to be not nearly as accurate as the NAM model in north america, to the point that I never use the GFS with Dr Jack or XC skies. What is your experience with GFS? If topmeteo uses only GFS and the input data is not good as NAM then the resulting output won't be good either. What's your expert opinion on this?