soaring simulators: condor vs silent wings, training perspective

Old February 21st 12, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ricardo Reis

Default soaring simulators: condor vs silent wings, training perspective

Hi all

From a training perspective does anyone can give some input in these
two softwares? The reviews on the we seem to stop in 2009.

best,
Old February 22nd 12, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

On Feb 21, 6:29*am, Ricardo Reis wrote:
Hi all

*From a training perspective does anyone can give some input in these
two softwares? The reviews on the we seem to stop in 2009.

*best,

I have no experience with Silent Wings, but Microsoft Flight simulator
has some soaring specific add-on software that makes it an interesting
soaring simulator. Condor has a few weaknesses as a a trainer. You
can't save a flight anywhere you want and re-load and re-fly, there
are no "failure" modes, and there is only partial global scenery.
Microsoft has all of these, plus very complex user adjustable weather.

In general, Condor really wins over Flight Simulator, but at the same
time Condor is really lacking, and I wish they would add failures and
other simple emergency features, like most power simulators do.

I do think Condor is good at simulating crosswinds, tow, and basic
stick and rudder feel. Plus is a huge online racing world available.

When I've been away from real world soaring for a while, I fire up
Condor, put in a very strong crosswind and practice aero tow, rope
brakes and landings. ...Aaron

Old February 23rd 12, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

On Feb 21, 6:29*am, Ricardo Reis wrote:
Hi all

*From a training perspective does anyone can give some input in these
two softwares? The reviews on the we seem to stop in 2009.

*best,

Scott Manley, my co-author for the popular Condor Corner series in
Soaring magazine, has been using Condor for ab-initio training for
some time now. Maybe he will post his thoughts at some point.

TA
Old February 25th 12, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SRM

On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:29:55 AM UTC-6, Ricardo Reis wrote:
Hi all

From a training perspective does anyone can give some input in these
two softwares? The reviews on the we seem to stop in 2009.

best,

Ricardo,

I am a glider flight instructor and have been using Condor with great success for more than 4 years. I have heard of Silent Wings, but have not used it.

Are you a flight instructor looking for an instructional tool, or a student looking to use simulation to learn to fly gliders?

Cheers, SRM

On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:29:55 AM UTC-6, Ricardo Reis wrote:
Hi all

From a training perspective does anyone can give some input in these
two softwares? The reviews on the we seem to stop in 2009.

best,

On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:29:55 AM UTC-6, Ricardo Reis wrote:
Hi all

From a training perspective does anyone can give some input in these