Dittel KRT2 disfunction

Old July 10th 20, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Dittel KRT2 disfunction

On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 2:35:26 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
John
Last year my Dittel had a similar no transmit problem.
I downloaded the user manual available online and fixed it in the troubleshooting chapter.
Do you have the manual?
Nick

Nick,

I searched through my copies of the KRT-2 manual and didn't find any troubleshooting section (searched for "troubleshooting" and "trouble").

Can you provide a link to the manual you found the troubleshooting section in?

Thanks, John
Old July 11th 20, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

FYI - Here is the link to the TQ Avionics manuals for the KRT2 series transceivers and KTX-2 transponders.

https://www.tq-group.com/en/support/...ation/manuals/

Still haven't found a troubleshooting section.
Old November 9th 20, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Schwartzy

Hello,
I have a KRT2 that used to work fine but now it is not anymore!
It is installed in an aircraft with 2 headsets configuration.
For some reasons that I don't understand mic 1 is not working anymore with any headset.
Mic 2 is fine and modulating on the mic menu but not mic 1...
If you have any idea about what it could be or what should I do don't hesitate !
Thanks
Eric
Old November 10th 20, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 12:55:07 PM UTC-5, Eric Schwartzy wrote:
Hello,
I have a KRT2 that used to work fine but now it is not anymore!
It is installed in an aircraft with 2 headsets configuration.
For some reasons that I don't understand mic 1 is not working anymore with any headset.
Mic 2 is fine and modulating on the mic menu but not mic 1...
If you have any idea about what it could be or what should I do don't hesitate !
Thanks
Eric

Each mic has its own gain setting. You need to adjust the gain. Mic 1 has also an option for automatic mic detection. It is all in the manual.
Old November 10th 20, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 6:17:13 PM UTC-6, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 12:55:07 PM UTC-5, Eric Schwartzy wrote:
Hello,
I have a KRT2 that used to work fine but now it is not anymore!
It is installed in an aircraft with 2 headsets configuration.
For some reasons that I don't understand mic 1 is not working anymore with any headset.
Mic 2 is fine and modulating on the mic menu but not mic 1...
If you have any idea about what it could be or what should I do don't hesitate !
Thanks
Eric

Each mic has its own gain setting. You need to adjust the gain. Mic 1 has also an option for automatic mic detection. It is all in the manual.

Eric,

I just got done with a struggle getting a Dittel (now TQ Avionics) KRT2 transceiver to work. Help me understand better what you are seeing.

You say that "mic 1 is not working anymore with any headset". ANY headset? Are you swapping known good headsets to test? Is this a headset with plug in jacks (like the power people use) or a boom type microphone (like glider pilots use)?

So assuming that you are swapping known working headsets then this points to either the wiring or the transceiver. It would seem to me that a microphone gain would not spontaneously change (but the setting is easy enough to get to and mistakenly change). Check that the connector at the back of the radio is fully seated. Any wires broken that you can see? The jack that you plug into may have failed or gotten corroded.

Other ideas can be found on my presentation "troubleshooting transceivers" at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presen...s/#transceiver.

Ultimately, you might find that the transceiver needs to be sent in for a bench check. Here in the US the repair station is;

Mid Continent Instruments and Avionics
http://www.mcico.com
9400 East 34th Street North, Wichita KS 67226
Phone: 800-821-1212, 316-630-0101
Email:
Old November 10th 20, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Schwartzy

I tried with 3 diffrents headets that all work on Mic2 plugs (listening and speaking). I am going to check the wiring with another radio today. Is it possible to have 1 mike "dead" and the other working fine, they have different amplifier or so in the radio ?
Regards
Eric
Old November 10th 20, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 1:31:05 AM UTC-6, Eric Schwartzy wrote:
I tried with 3 different headsets that all work on Mic2 plugs (listening and speaking). I am going to check the wiring with another radio today. Is it possible to have 1 mike "dead" and the other working fine, they have different amplifier or so in the radio ?
Regards
Eric

Eric,

I assume a traditional headset plugged into jacks and not a boom microphone..

- Different internal amplifiers for the two mics is probably but without a schematic hard to tell. Even so at some point mic 1 and mic 2 audio is combined internally.
- Swapping in a KNOWN GOOD KRT2 transceiver is a very simple way to see if you radio is at fault.
- A loose, corroded, broken, connector on the rear can mimic your issue.
- The microphone 1 gain setting could have be changed but unlikely.
- The headset jack #1 on the panel may be broken. If #1 jack is for the front seat of a tandem aircraft, or the left seat of side-by-side aircraft, then this is the most used jack which could point to this being the culprit.

Report back with what you find.

Old November 15th 20, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 6:56:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I almost bought a KRT2 radio, because I liked that it stored and displayed a name for each frequency. My present radio stores a list of frequencies, but requires me to remember which they are for. Which of course I can't do.

Indeed that is a nice feature and the reason I bought the radio.