United States information

Old March 20th 05, 11:58 PM
Joseph L. Hyde

Default United States information

For everyone who is offended at US oriented posts....close this one now.
For those not offended, At our recent pre-season safety meeting it was
brought to our attention that the FAA's glider flying handbook is available
for download for free in PDF format. The word FREE usually gets the
attention of most glider pilots. The URL follows

http://afs600.faa.gov/srchFolder.asp...&cmdScroll =1

Take Care,

Joe Hyde

Old March 21st 05, 02:54 AM
BTIZ

sure... just the self printing later.. I keep the electronic copy just to
extract what I need from time to time..

If you'll look, most of the FAA handbooks are available online

BT

. ..

Old March 21st 05, 04:16 AM

Joseph L. Hyde wrote:
At our recent pre-season safety meeting it was
brought to our attention that the FAA's glider flying handbook is

available
for download for free in PDF format.

Free is nice but it is too bad the handbook is so full of errors and
mis-information. Who ever had the final editing responsibility failed
totally.

Can you believe an official FAA publication shows tow rings attached to
tow ropes with knots? Where in the world did they get that from?

That is just the start.

Robert Mudd

Old March 21st 05, 05:40 AM
BTIZ

Can you believe an official FAA publication shows tow rings attached to
tow ropes with knots? Where in the world did they get that from?

guess they forgot how to do splices

BT

Old March 21st 05, 07:14 AM

It is one thing for a glider operator do use knots but is a whole other
level of stupidity for the FAA to print the picture in their offical
Glider Handbook.

Robert Mudd

Old March 21st 05, 01:28 PM
Pat Russell

My club hires wenches to tie those knots.
Old March 21st 05, 02:38 PM
Joseph L. Hyde

I would suggest that people involved in instruction in the US
familiarize themselves with this document. Errors notwithstanding, now that
the FAA has published a training manual it is sure bet it will become the
source of the examination material.

Joe

oups.com...

Old March 21st 05, 07:00 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

I have a printed copy of the FAA "Aviation Instructor's Handbook"
FAA-H-8083-9.

I downloaded the pdf version since there are various people I would like to
see it without lending them my printed copy.

However when I compared the printed copy with the pdf version I find that
the transfer to pdf was a sloppy and inaccurate job.

The pictures appear in the same position on the same pages in the pdf
version as in the printed version. However the text takes more room and so
it gets out of sinc. with the pictures, and by the end of Chapter 1 (which I
have checked) it is one page behind (but the table of contents has not been
adjusted).

Worse, the last page or so of text is totally missing. In addition, the
bottom line on many pages is unreadable or wholly missing.

I have also had a look at chapter 5, again out of sinc. and the last part of
the text totally missing.

Has anyone checked to see if the "Glider Flying Handbook" has been properly
transcribed?

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

Old March 21st 05, 07:47 PM
Doug

Either that or it's just one more way for the FAA to shut down the glider
op. if there is a PTT via a ropebreak and you did NOT use knots as shown in
their official Glider Handbook.

oups.com...

Old March 21st 05, 09:06 PM

Naturally for testing purposes you have to feed back to the FAA the
information they use in their handbook.

I just hope we actually do a better job of teaching our students and
passing on correct information in the context of gliding than the FAA
does.

Robert

ramifications of new TSA rules on all non-US and US citizen pilots paul k. sanchez Piloting 19 September 27th 04 11:49 PM
No US soldier should have 2 die for Israel 4 oil Ewe n0 who Naval Aviation 0 April 7th 04 07:31 PM
Osama bin Laaden Big John Piloting 2 January 12th 04 05:05 AM
Two Years of War Stop Spam! Military Aviation 3 October 9th 03 11:05 AM
U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world John Mullen Military Aviation 149 September 22nd 03 03:42 PM