Does USA need a Club Class?

Old April 3rd 05, 04:06 PM
MC

Default Does USA need a Club Class?

Any thoughts on the idea of creating a Club Class similar to the model used
in Europe?

Mike

Old April 3rd 05, 04:38 PM

MC wrote:
Any thoughts on the idea of creating a Club Class similar to the

model used
in Europe?

Mike

We got one, its called Sports Class. My God, we now have something like
8 classes, the last thing we need is ANOTHER CLASS.
JJ

Old April 3rd 05, 05:09 PM
Bob Fidler

Europeans are way ahead of US in competition using the Club Class Rules. If
we expect to compete with them in this class we need to score our US
regional contests using the Club Class Handicap Rules. I suggest all Sports
Class competitors be given the option to be scored using Club Class
Handicaps along with our Sports Class Handicaps.
If the US ever gets serious about expecting to compete with Europe in this
class, we will need to have competition in the US using the rule.

Bob Fidler

Old April 3rd 05, 05:31 PM
Stewart Kissel

We got one, its called Sports Class. My God, we now
have something like
8 classes, the last thing we need is ANOTHER CLASS.
JJ

JJ-You took the words right out of my mouth....but
then I started thinking about this. What if classes
were created by demand? Right now how many active
Open Class racers are there? 10-20?

How many Club Class'ers might there be? On the other
hand I think Sports Class is great...but look at Parown...plenty
of guys not able to get in...you got to be rated damn
near 90.

I know this may sound sacreligous to some...but why
are we trying to limit the number of racers? Since
less the 10% of SSA'ers race, I would think one would
want to grow this niche.

Old April 3rd 05, 06:31 PM
Steve Leonard

Nyal Williams wrote:
Please enumerate these 8 or so classes; this is a surprising
number to me.

Almost like we have become the Special Olympics of Soaring. In no
particluar order:

1) Standard
2) 15 Meter
3) 18 Meter
4) Unlimited (actually, 750 KG or less)
5) Two Place (under 20 meter span)
6) Sports (sort of like Club, but without the limited range of HCs)
7) Motorglider
8) World Class
9) Senior (Over Age 55)
10) 1-26

All these have a Nationals. So, JJ missed a few.

Steve Leonard

Old April 3rd 05, 06:48 PM
Marc Ramsey

Bob Fidler wrote:
Europeans are way ahead of US in competition using the Club Class Rules. If
we expect to compete with them in this class we need to score our US
regional contests using the Club Class Handicap Rules. I suggest all Sports
Class competitors be given the option to be scored using Club Class
Handicaps along with our Sports Class Handicaps.

It is not possible to give "all Sports Class competitors" the option to
use Club Class handicap rules, as many are flying gliders that not
permitted in FAI Club Class. Of course, it seems quite sensible to
calculate a separate score for those who compete in Sports Class using
Club Class ships, and to select the US Club Class Team based only on
Club Class scores...

Marc
Old April 3rd 05, 07:16 PM

I know this may sound sacreligous to some...but why
are we trying to limit the number of racers? Since
less the 10% of SSA'ers race, I would think one would
want to grow this niche.

The limiting came from a 15 meter contest where something like 80
contestants were allowed and we has 4 mid-airs (1 fatality). It was
wisely decided to limit our contests to 65. Parowan is limited to 50
due to limited parking and runway crowding (landing)

The Club Class and 2-seater class works in europe because there is a
bunch of those ships available (from the neumerous clubs) In the US our
ships are 98% privately owned and one can enter sports class where you
can "fly what you brung".
JJ

Old April 3rd 05, 07:30 PM
John Sinclair

How about a Ex-military, over 70, class? Oops, that
would include 7V and KS. OK, how about Rerited military,
over 70? No that still leaves KS. OK, now I got it................
Retired military bomb-aimers, over 70, class? Bet I
just found a class I can win.
:) JJ

Old April 3rd 05, 09:47 PM
Stewart Kissel

OOOHHH...I think you may be onto something here JJ...

A class for ras posters only? Or maybe Kennedy assassination
conspiracy believers? Lots of possibilities....

post may have been unclear...I am not suggesting more
entries allowed per contest...rather races being set
up for the most contestants...ie a 50 contestant National
Club Class vs a 15 contestant Open Class Nat...

But then I fall into the category of non-racer making
suggestions for something I don't participate in....so
I will refrain from further ideas....