New SB (SB-G09) on elevator pushrods for most all Grobs

Old May 7th 20, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New SB (SB-G09) on elevator pushrods for most all Grobs

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:17:09 AM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:
See the link below

http://www.ltb-lindner.com/g-102-ad-...rod_200408.pdf

The lower rudder bolt picture that I took isn't very good. There is some some access near the bolt head and nut but not enough to get wrench on them. We are going to do some fine Dremel dental work to get access.
Old May 7th 20, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

Modify a tool, not the glider.
Old May 7th 20, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Schleicher rudders have a hole in the bottom so you can get a socket with extension on the nut. Don't have a Grob handy at the moment to see. We had no problem removing the rudder from the club Twin.

Forceps might be helpful putting it back together.
Old May 9th 20, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:17:09 AM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:
See the link below

http://www.ltb-lindner.com/g-102-ad-...rod_200408.pdf

Our club member and retired toolmaker had to modify some box wrenches to remove the lower rudder bolt. A small amount of Dremel work was still needed to gain access. Removing the elevator pushrod bolt is no easy task because of the tight access. Elevator pushrod was extracted and the required 6 mm hole drilled. No water or corrosion found in the pushrod. Awaiting inspection, reassembly and logbook entry by our A&P.

Chuck Zabinski

Old May 9th 20, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 12:18:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:17:09 AM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:
See the link below

http://www.ltb-lindner.com/g-102-ad-...rod_200408.pdf

Our club member and retired toolmaker had to modify some box wrenches to remove the lower rudder bolt. A small amount of Dremel work was still needed to gain access. Removing the elevator pushrod bolt is no easy task because of the tight access. Elevator pushrod was extracted and the required 6 mm hole drilled. No water or corrosion found in the pushrod. Awaiting inspection, reassembly and logbook entry by our A&P.

Chuck Zabinski

Thanks for the update! Had a quick look at mine and it is a bit tight around the lower bolt of the rudder. Does your Astir CS have the "welded" type or the "riveted" type pushrod?
Old May 9th 20, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:17:09 AM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:
See the link below

http://www.ltb-lindner.com/g-102-ad-...rod_200408.pdf

Our Grob 102 Astir CS had the "welded version" elevator pushrod consistent with the Service Bulletin.

BTW: All the hardware requires 10 mm wrenches. The elevator pushrod bolt & nut required a modified box wrenches.

Chuck Zabinski

Old May 10th 20, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

9-5-2020 19:52 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:17:09 AM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:
See the link below

http://www.ltb-lindner.com/g-102-ad-...rod_200408.pdf

Our Grob 102 Astir CS had the "welded version" elevator pushrod consistent with the Service Bulletin.

BTW: All the hardware requires 10 mm wrenches. The elevator pushrod bolt & nut required a modified box wrenches.

Chuck Zabinski

The 10 mm box wrenches were ground down to thin the outer circular support structure that supports the gripping teeth. This lets the wrench fit into bolt access recess in the rudder. Even with that, a slight amount of Dremel work may be required to get the wrench to fit on the bolt nut. Also small hands and patience are required to remove the elevator pushrod bolt.

Chuck Zabinski
Old May 22nd 20, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Harrison

So did anybody find any evidence of corrosion inside the pushrod ?

Old May 22nd 20, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Harrison

At 14:17 05 May 2020, soaringjac wrote:
See the link below

http://www.ltb-lindner.com/g-102-ad-sb.html?

file=tl_files/ltb_lindner/pdf/G%20102%20LTA%20%26%20TM%2
0Englisch/SB-G09_elevator%20pushrod_200408.pdf

So did anybody find any evidence of corrosion in the pushrods ?

Elevator for Schweizer 2-22 Steve Soaring 7 December 8th 11 01:55 AM
(USA) WTB: ASW-27 elevator Tuno Soaring 1 May 12th 10 02:48 AM
Jammed Elevator Dale Piloting 43 September 14th 04 05:43 AM
Astir Elevator JD Soaring 0 May 10th 04 06:44 AM
K-13 TO k-7 elevator Vassilios Mazis Soaring 1 August 31st 03 07:25 PM